RideLondon 100- Rest stops?

13»

Comments

• peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    No no no.

You must discard your empty water bottles by throwing them to the side of the roads.

Y'know. Like the pro's.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Peat wrote:
    No no no.

You must discard your empty water bottles by throwing them to the side of the roads.

Y'know. Like the pro's.

Except my bidons are bigger than the Pros use. I obviously need bigger bidons as I'm putting out more power :lol:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Any litter you collect throughout the ride should be kept in your pockets and disposed of at Hubs or Drinks Stations along the route.
    WTF, we're expected to do the route in 9 hours *and* stop to collect litter?
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Any litter you collect throughout the ride should be kept in your pockets and disposed of at Hubs or Drinks Stations along the route.
    WTF, we're expected to do the route in 9 hours *and* stop to collect litter?
    I'll be in my best Orinoco costume.

Link here for those not old enough to remember Orinoco.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    They seem to have dropped the bit about four hubs from their FAQ after I queried it. They don't mention the number of hubs at all in it anymore, so I presume it was just a mistake.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Hydration really depends on the temperature and rider.
    I can do a three hour ride in winter and not need a sip. The other week in the summer heat I went through about five bottles over 90 miles.
  • lkjhgfdsa
    lkjhgfdsa Posts: 2
    Just wondering - do the drink/feed stops have timing mats to pause the clock? I've seen some pretty impressive times for last year's RL100, and coupled with the fact that some of the hubs will be super busy, was wondering if the times quoted were inclusive or exclusive of fuelling breaks?!
  • lkjhgfdsa wrote:
    Just wondering - do the drink/feed stops have timing mats to pause the clock? I've seen some pretty impressive times for last year's RL100, and coupled with the fact that some of the hubs will be super busy, was wondering if the times quoted were inclusive or exclusive of fuelling breaks?!

No timing mats. Stops people doing 10 x 10 mile TT's :D
    The times were fast because the roads are closed to other traffic, it's a flat course, the weather was good and the 'peloton' effect.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pause the clock :lol:

The official time is start to finish (seems a simple concept to me).
    You can do whatever you want in between, but the meter is running :wink:

Some people will be quoting 'ride time' but that means bugger all...............
    ........... unless your 'ride time' and official time are the same :P
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    lkjhgfdsa wrote:

I managed 4:59:15 without stopping, just made it on 2 litres of Isotonic, flapjack and gels. Most of my club mates were in the 5:15-5:20 time zone since they all stopped once. Times will be fast since (a) roads are closed therefore no need to stop at all (b) lots of cyclists doing the same speed as you so plenty of drafting opportunities.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • terry2708
    terry2708 Posts: 92
    As stated above, there are loads of places to stop but the clock wont! I stopped at the top of Leith hill to fill up my 2 bottles and carried my own food. 5 hours 12 and 54 seconds official time.

The time is about 1.5mph quicker than I was riding last year, this is due to no traffic, junctions and a bit of cheeky drafting!!

If you want a quick time, dont stop! But most of all enjoy it as it was the best day on a bike I have ever had!!

6.25 start time this year and I wont be stopping!
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    at the end of the day listen to your body. I it wants to stop then do and fill up on water.

I know some can do it without drinking at all it would seem, others need a refill part way round.

I stopped a few times as I know my body needs that. Test it out in training and see how you feel, both during and post ride. Usually by the time you start to feel thirsty and tired it is too late.
  • HertsG
    HertsG Posts: 129
    Last year, my bladder got me as far as Pyrford.

At about one-third distance, Pyrford seemed to have taken on the mantle of 'Central Bladder Control'. But, unfortunately, the organisers had only installed two Tardis toilets at this drink station and the queues were about 20 deep.

Let's hope that there are more plentious facilities this year ......
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I went by Hampton Court last year, it looked like a disaster zone with queueing to get in. Got to Newlands about 10.30, and it was very slow to get "processed". The car park is quite a long way from the road, and they made us snake in and pick up the food and drink on the way out. I saw plenty of water and bananas but not much else, so I would advise taking other stuff with you, if it is anything like last year.
  • has anybody got a link to a map showing hubs and water stops? also are they signposted like on motorways?

I do struggle with why so many people would set off on a 100 mile bike ride and need to stop after 20 miles for food and water
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    Because they've just successfully ascended the HC climb that is Sawyer's in Richmond Park?

Paul
  • paul2718 wrote:
    Because they've just successfully ascended the HC climb that is Sawyer's in Richmond Park?

Paul

good point - maybe they were holding a celebration party
  • HertsG
    has anybody got a link to a map showing hubs and water stops?
    The map is in the Final Instructions.

They will be at:
    • Chiswick roundabout - mile 17
    • Hampton Court Green - mile 26 - hub
    • Pyrford - mile 38
    • Newlands Corner - mile 47 - hub
    • Leith Hill Place - mile 57
    • Westcott Village - mile 62
    • Box Hill Village - mile 69
    • Leatherhead - mile 75 - hub
    • Esher - mile 81
    • Wimbledon Common - mile 91
  • many thanks - I will see you all at Chiswick hopefully it won't be too crowded 17 miles in
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    I'll probably stop at Leith or Westcott to fill a bidon but shouldn't need anything else. Stopped twice to get water on the Etape Pennines but the parcours there was, quite frankly, brutal.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    HertsG wrote:
    has anybody got a link to a map showing hubs and water stops?
    The map is in the Final Instructions.

They will be at:
    • Chiswick roundabout - mile 17
    • Hampton Court Green - mile 26 - hub
    • Pyrford - mile 38
    • Newlands Corner - mile 47 - hub
    • Leith Hill Place - mile 57
    • Westcott Village - mile 62
    • Box Hill Village - mile 69
    • Leatherhead - mile 75 - hub
    • Esher - mile 81
    • Wimbledon Common - mile 91

That looks very similar to last year, except that Holmbury St Mary has gone, which is before you get to Leith Hill. I'm not entirely sure where Leith Hill Place is, but from what I can gather, it is actually just off of the Leith Hill climb? Presumably that's to avoid the congestion problems last year at the water stop at the top of Leith Hill and the one at the bottom of the descent at the village hall (neither of which were marked as water stops in the released information, but did turn out to be official water stops with energy drinks and toilets and were the most problematic of the day).

There is also apparently no water stop at New Kings Road at mile 95 this year. I can't remember what that actually looked like anyway, or whether it was just the part where people were giving energy gels out at the side of the road and you zoomed past, trying to grab them pro rider style.

It's funny looking back at the the posts in this thread from last year with concerns about food shortages. I remember getting to the final hub at Leatherhead and they had so much food, they were asking people to take as much as they could with them. Tons and tons of those sun bites, pretzels and bananas.
  • HertsG
    Yes, I stopped at Holmbury St Mary last year. The triangle green was useful to regroup before assaulting Leith Hill. No matter, I shall avoid Newlands Corner and try to get to LH Place as my only stop.