RideLondon 100- Rest stops?

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    VO2min wrote:
    I'd hope for the feed stations they've have tables set up down the side of the road for those who just want to grab a bottle of water, some gels and a flapjack. Obviously this would require them to be on a wider stretch of road to avoid carnage. Possibly with barriers so there is a bypass lane and a 'pit lane'. Toilets and repairs will have to be further back. Having to divert into a field/carpark just for a drink would be more than a little annoying.

Surely, just get your people to hand up your bidons and musette on a quiet stretch of road?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

if you pull into stop I assume the clock is still running, ie there isn't a timing mat at entrance and exit of field?

Your assumption is correct and your id est made me chuckle :lol:
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    The route map on their web site shows 3 food/water/maintenance areas, at about 25, 45 and 75 miles. The route map on http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/P ... ey_100.htm
    I'm pretty sure 45 miles will equate to the car park at the top of Newlands Corner.
    Mangeur
  • VO2min
    VO2min Posts: 28
    marcusjb wrote:
    VO2min wrote:
    I'd hope for the feed stations they've have tables set up down the side of the road for those who just want to grab a bottle of water, some gels and a flapjack. Obviously this would require them to be on a wider stretch of road to avoid carnage. Possibly with barriers so there is a bypass lane and a 'pit lane'. Toilets and repairs will have to be further back. Having to divert into a field/carpark just for a drink would be more than a little annoying.

Surely, just get your people to hand up your bidons and musette on a quiet stretch of road?

You jest, but actually if they could have tables set up with bags containing a 1.5l bottle of water, 4 gels and a flapjack (or something along those lines) it could speed the whole process up no end. Thinking about it, if the car park is set up with in and out routes and a fairly direct route through via the food/drink tables then that would be fine. However, I'm wanting to stop for 1 minute to refill bottles and shove stuff in my jersey pockets, not 15 minutes for a picnic.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I'm not jesting. If the 14 minutes are that important, then bribe a couple of mates to head out early and be ready with a musette.

The maps show around 6 or 7 watering points on the course - forget the feed stations and use these? It's only 100 miles, so shouldn't need huge amounts of food to get you around. Be quicker to carry some gels and flapjack in your pockets.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Didn't they say that one of the rest stops is within the grounds of Hampton Court Palace? It certainly looks that way from the map.

The feed stations are bound to be off the main road.
    You don't need to spend much time thinking about it to realise what a problem 20,000 or so cyclists bunching up at one choke point trying to get food and figure out where they go for the toilet or a mechanical would be chaos. They are going to need large areas for these stops.
  • JDinho
    JDinho Posts: 16
    The one question that hasn't been confirmed is who is supplying the energy gels and drinks at the drink stations and larger hubs. That could be an issue if you have a sensitive stomach (then take your own supply I hear the majority of sanctimonious users on here say :wink: ) or are perhaps someone not familar with these products and find out the hard way that they can upset the digestive system :oops:.

I harassed the official twitter feed and eventually got a DM response of "we are unable to confirm details of food items at this stage. More info is in your Final Instruction Mag you will receive this week." I doubt the magazine will bring any further enlightenment since it would have been printed weeks ago. I'd tell you if I knew but mine, like most others, is yet to arrive.

My advice would be to say to bring the supplies you need that you are familiar with, assume they'll only be water left once you get to the stops because the peeps in front are so superior and faster to you (despite the calamities of the start times that we can read about on the other post :roll:) that they need armfuls of gels, flapjacks, gravel and whatever else they can acquire to make the 100 miles even harder by adding weight.
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    JDinho wrote:
    My advice would be to say to bring the supplies you need that you are familiar with, assume they'll only be water left once you get to the stops because the peeps in front are so superior and faster to you (despite the calamities of the start times that we can read about on the other post :roll:) that they need armfuls of gels, flapjacks, gravel and whatever else they can acquire to make the 100 miles even harder by adding weight.

I agree!

Sorry, but from experience there is only so much useful energy that I can absorb and convert from food during a 100+ mile ride.

Basically I have 5 phases of eating for an event like this, which are:

• A reasonable amount of carbo-loading the day before hand
    • A hearty breakfast of porridge
    • Moderate amount of energy supplements during the ride
    • A moderate recovery meal at the end of the ride
    • Finally a good recovery meal in the evening

The trouble is that each of us are very different, however all the energy that I need during a ride likes this, easily fits neatly in two bottles, two pockets and this includes sufficient supplies for an emergency. I usally have plenty of food left over and I still have sufficient supplies of gells left over from my last two rides for this one. As for energy bars, I shall use the simple home made ones which Graeme Obree recommends!
  • I've never ridden any of the really big sportives (Etape, Marmotte) but everything about RL so far points to it not being as 'easy' in terms of food/drink as at smaller sportives (where feed stops are generally excellent - well-stocked, with chilled (bike riding) people manning them). I can't see the feed stops being well stocked for the number of people doing the event. I'd be surprised if supplies don't run low quite quickly.

Normally, on a sportive, I'd take a snickers and some haribos (yes - sophisticated nutrition) and then rely on the feed stops. For RL I'm going totally self sufficient.

I think I'm the lanterne rouge, with a start time of 8am, so maybe that is colouring my view, but with the sheer volume of people, I think being well prepared will be very important.
  • adydow
    adydow Posts: 92
    As long as you eat and drink in regular intervals you'll be fine, we ate cheese butties, cake, sweets, bananas and oranges and crisps at the feed stations on the Etape Eryri, as long as its food don't care as long as it keeps my engine going.
    Of course its about the bike! Although having the legs helps.
  • rich_e
    The magazine has the stat that there will be 36,000 bananas at the feed stations, so that gives at least some indication of some of the food and the amount of it. They do point out not being stupidly greedy and only taking what you need though.
  • JDinho
    JDinho Posts: 16
    I'd sacrifice my ride place to watch anyone try to eat King Kong's dinner, even that guy off the programme on Dave would tap out of 36,000 bananas!
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    back to the earlier water comment: I did a 210 km, 3500 m ride today & easily went through 5+ bottles of water & I'm about 50 kg. no way could have gotten by on 2 bottles, especially in today's weather.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    no way could have gotten by on 2 bottles, especially in today's weather.
    Now that I've ridden a decent distance in much warmer weather, I'd qualify my earlier comment.

I did 83 miles on Saturday, and two 800 ml bottles was not enough. By 60 miles, I'd finished my bottles, and was quite thirsty - fortunately I managed to buy some more at a car park cafe. In total I had about 2.4 litres - twice as much as when I went out in much cooler conditions.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    Rich_E wrote:
    The magazine has the stat that there will be 36,000 bananas at the feed stations, so that gives at least some indication of some of the food and the amount of it. They do point out not being stupidly greedy and only taking what you need though.

I saw that, 36,000 bananas isn't going to go very far with 20,000 riders.
  • zardoz wrote:
    Rich_E wrote:

I saw that, 36,000 bananas isn't going to go very far with 20,000 riders.

Well someone can I have 1.6 banana's if they want - I'll be going for the flapjacks!

On the subject of water, I've got 2 of the biggest bike water bottles (750 mls I think) that I'll be taking, will also take a bottle of lucozade or something in my jersey pocket and probably a little 'throw away' bottle from my hotel (Docklands) up to the start, so that I ensure I start fully hydrated. With a fairly early start time (6:34) I hope to be over the hilly bit before the mid day sun and expect to have 1 splash and dash waterstop where I just top up my water bottles and ride on
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I love the optimism in this thred - hydration and mid-day sun. This is being held in England, 60% chance you can get your hydration by opening your mouth whilst riding in the rain :lol:

Fingers crossed for perfect weather.
  • Anonymous
    On the subject of water, I've got 2 of the biggest bike water bottles (750 mls I think) that I'll be taking, will also take a bottle of lucozade or something in my jersey pocket and probably a little 'throw away' bottle from my hotel (Docklands) up to the start, so that I ensure I start fully hydrated.

It does not matter how much water you drink the morning of the ride as it takes three days for your body to fully absorb the water, and so the only way to start the ride fully hydrated is to drink plenty of water (and no alcohol) in at least the preceding three days.
  • chrisaonabike
    Carbonator wrote:
    (and no alcohol) in at least the preceding three days.
    Yes, well sod that.
  • chrisaonabike
    the biggest bike water bottles (750 mls I think)
    SiS do 800 ml ones.
  • Anonymous
    SiS do 800 ml ones.

They also do 850ml, 900ml and 1000ml one's.
    Get a seat mounted doulble bottle holder and you could start with 4 litres :shock:

Would not recommend re-filling them all at the 40 mile feed stop though :wink:
  • Carbonator wrote:
    On the subject of water, I've got 2 of the biggest bike water bottles (750 mls I think) that I'll be taking, will also take a bottle of lucozade or something in my jersey pocket and probably a little 'throw away' bottle from my hotel (Docklands) up to the start, so that I ensure I start fully hydrated.

It does not matter how much water you drink the morning of the ride as it takes three days for your body to fully absorb the water, and so the only way to start the ride fully hydrated is to drink plenty of water (and no alcohol) in at least the preceding three days.

Good advice, thanks, I shall drink like a fish for the 3 days before hand, I'm tee total anyway, so alcohol isn't an issue. Much more likely to OD on flapjacks :wink:
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Carbonator wrote:
    SiS do 800 ml ones.

They also do 850ml, 900ml and 1000ml one's.
    Get a seat mounted doulble bottle holder and you could start with 4 litres :shock:

Would not recommend re-filling them all at the 40 mile feed stop though :wink:

I've got the SIS 1 litre bottles, they're bigger in diameter than a standard bottle. Halfords also do a 1 litre bottle, I've got 2 of them too! (I have lots of bottles).
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • VO2min
    VO2min Posts: 28
    They've now posted some info on their facebook page about what is available at the feed stops. Only thing that I'm not totally sure about is whether it's just water or if it's water & electrolyte at the drinks stations.

Nutrition
    Hot and cold drinks and a selection of food will be available to purchase at the start. You will be able to refill your water bottles at the Hubs and drink stations along the route. There will also be the below items available, free of charge, at the four Hubs.
    18,000 Bananas cut in half to make 36,000 pieces
    36,000 bags of Walkers Lightly Sea Salt Sunbites
    36,000 bags of Penn State Sour Cream and Chive Pretzels
    36,000 McVities Digestives (raisins and milk chocolate chips) and HobNobs (dark and milk chocolate) Medley bars
    22,000 High 5 Energy Gels
    120,000 High 5 Energy Source Powder Sachets
    There is no gluten free food in year one. Please also bring your own food items you are comfortable with eating on a long ride rather than relying on the free supplies. In addition, food and drink will be available to purchase at many of the local businesses and pubs along the route.

What format will the four hubs take?
    The hubs will operate a conveyor belt-style system to ensure and quick and efficient pit-stop for riders. Riders will have the opportunity to refill their water bottles and pick up additional small food and drink items. There will also be space to park your bike if you wish to take a more leisurely stop or use the toilet.
  • Anonymous
    Like the sound of the 'pit stop' style 'hubs'. It will be great if you can just re-fill water and grab a couple of bits without leaving the bike.
  • rich_e
    I saw the information about food earlier.

I figured it would likely be High5, as they are typically involved with events that Wiggle also seems to be involved in.
    The rest obviously must be from bulk deals with the likes of Walkers and McVities, shame they don't have anything like fresh flapjacks, but I suppose that is a big ask for the amount of people.

I would imagine its highly likely there will be water and energy drink filled water. More than anything there will be people who for medical reasons might not be able to take energy drinks and need plain water so they have to offer it.

I agree that the Pit Stop thing is good, as who knows how this is all going to work out, especially with the time limit cut-offs. I'd imagine the one at the top of Newlands Corner will have an entry and exit lane into the car park or something.

Only bit I was confused about is that they say there are four hubs.
    According to all the maps and information there are only three hubs and a number of water stations. Unless they are counting the start as a hub? However the impression I got from the information was that they would have food and hot drinks at the start but you would have to pay for them.
  • Anonymous
    I wondered where the forth one would be too.

Was planning on taking my own food and only taking anything of theirs that looked good, rather than relying on their stuff/flavours.

Not sure which stop/s to stop at. Guess it depends on how hot it is and how the ride goes.
  • rich_e
    I would guess if you just want a drink or maybe a quick toilet break that the water stops may be quicker.

I figured that Newlands is probably the best hub to stop at really. Its a lot further into the ride, where as Hampton Court isn't that far in. Its also probably going to be at the top of Newlands Corner, so at the end of a climb and it has a nice view too. You can then fuel up on some energy before taking on Leith Hill which is the toughest part of the entire route.
  • Anonymous
    Sounds like a good plan.
    Only read magazine properly last night and did not realise there were water stops too.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    The three Hubs and seven Drinks Stations (with toilet facilities) will be adjacent to the route in the following locations:

Chiswick (Mile 14 – Drinks Station)
    Hampton Court Palace (Mile 24 – Hub)
    Pyrford Village (Mile 36 – Drinks Station)
    Newlands Corner (Mile 45 – Hub)
    Holmbury St Mary (Mile 51 – Drinks Station)
    Box Hill Village (Mile 68 – Drinks Station)
    Leatherhead (Mile 73 – Hub)
    Esher (Mile 82 – Drinks Station)
    Wimbledon Common (Mile 91 – Drinks Station)
    New Kings Road (Mile 95 – Drinks Station)

Any litter you collect throughout the ride should be kept in your pockets and disposed of at Hubs or Drinks Stations along the route. Under no circumstances must you discard your litter at the side of the road.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon