Giro stage 16 **SPOILER**

12346»

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Greetings from NYC.

Worth making an effort to try and watch this tonight??

Only the last descent
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    B*gger I missed it! Best days racing so far did someone say?? B*gger, B*gger,B*gger!

Rewatch the last 100kms here (racing coverage starts about 46:30 into the recording):

http://bit.ly/ZaTuJq

Any ideas how I can watch this if I am running 64bit Windows? Keeps asking me to download Microsoft Silverlight but not operational on 64bit windows! :cry:
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    goonz wrote:
    B*gger I missed it! Best days racing so far did someone say?? B*gger, B*gger,B*gger!

Rewatch the last 100kms here (racing coverage starts about 46:30 into the recording):

Any ideas how I can watch this if I am running 64bit Windows? Keeps asking me to download Microsoft Silverlight but not operational on 64bit windows! :cry:
    It works fine for me on 64-bit Win7... have you actually tried installing Silverlight? It definitely has 64-bit support.
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    Beautiful days racing and elegant sprint by INTXAUSTI ELORRIAGA, Benat
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    You do miss the hour highlight package on ITV4 when you are out all day, don't you?

David Millar ‏@millarmind 1h
    QOTD from @ChristianVDV when I asked how things are going at the Giro, "Put it this way, if you crash you make sure you stay down."
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Absolute belter of a stage - Nibali showed closed down Sanchez and Betancur with such ease I reckon it's case closed on the debate as to whether he's a great descender - would love to see him have to attack down something like that but thank God it wasn't wet.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    You do miss the hour highlight package on ITV4 when you are out all day, don't you?

David Millar ‏@millarmind 1h
    QOTD from @ChristianVDV when I asked how things are going at the Giro, "Put it this way, if you crash you make sure you stay down."

Don't think there has ever been a gt riders haven't moaned about has really hard.

Imagine its a bonding thing to get through the day.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    adr82 wrote:
    goonz wrote:

It works fine for me on 64-bit Win7... have you actually tried installing Silverlight? It definitely has 64-bit support.

Yep, I agree fine on 64 bit win 7 and 64bit win 8
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133

Cheers! I tried watching in Italian but it gave me a headache!! Watching highlights on ES
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Just caught up with this. Expected to fast forward thorugh until the last 5k. Ended up being engrossed from about 40k to go. Fun racing!
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    ddraver wrote:
    Greetings from NYC.

Only the last descent

Disagree. Before then it was gripping watching the break try to shell Caruso, then all get caught.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Alan A wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Greetings from NYC.

Only the last descent

Disagree. Before then it was gripping watching the break try to shell Caruso, then all get caught.

Absolutely - last 40k or so was great racing.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    050-GM1_6572.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    205-PIC369240556.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Watched the last 25kms this morning, it was good. Watched it via the Sky highlights and have to say I was very impressed by Dan Lloyd, while Kirby was getting all excited and spouting rubbish, he was calmly giving out useful and accurate information about when exactly the climb started, finished etc.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I always thought "my area" could offer great racing, but it is rarely visited by the Giro... normally only enroute to a stage to Cervinia or en route to a stage to Oropa... it is a shame, as we do have some great climbs and Andrate is only one of the minor ones
    You guys should visit the area for a cycling holiday... it offers very good value for money too, compared to the Dolomites or the French Alps
    left the forum March 2023
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I always thought "my area" could offer great racing, but it is rarely visited by the Giro... normally only enroute to a stage to Cervinia or en route to a stage to Oropa... it is a shame, as we do have some great climbs and Andrate is only one of the minor ones
    You guys should visit the area for a cycling holiday... it offers very good value for money too, compared to the Dolomites or the French Alps

Sure you dont work for your tourism board? :wink:
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • ugo.santalucia
    goonz wrote:

Sure you dont work for your tourism board? :wink:

I thought of setting up some sort of cycling related offering in the aera, but as a business is not viable and as a side it's too much trouble...
    I spoke to the owners of a beautiful Agriturismo (B&B) on the hill they climbed yesterday, but they don't seem to be willing to negotiate a deal... they'd rather have it empty than full at half price... whatever make them happy... :?
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I don’t know the area immediately west of Ivrea, but I can back up ugo’s advertising with respect to immediately east of there.

I’ve done the climb to the Santuario di Oropa, and then actually stayed overnight in the hotel now installed in the sanctuary building. Well worth a visit there.
  • ugo.santalucia
    knedlicky wrote:
    I don’t know the area immediately west of Ivrea, but I can back up ugo’s advertising with respect to immediately east of there.

I’ve done the climb to the Santuario di Oropa, and then actually stayed overnight in the hotel now installed in the sanctuary building. Well worth a visit there.

What very few know is that from Oropa you can climb another 5 km and get to the Rosazza tunnel at 1400 mt altitude, it is a 400 mt straight tunnel with no lighting that leads to the opposite valley, so you can include the Oropa climb into a loop rather than a dead end road... normally open in mid/late spring until late autumn. Requires lights, as it is pitch dark inside the tunnel and very narrow
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Some highlights from the race so far. Betancur and Majka...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... lK-7RStxA4
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    That was the best stage so far, which tells you everything you need to know about this years Giro.

Something of a snoozefest thus far IMHO!
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746

I have a week in Cogne (with a bike) in August. Mainly walking with Mrs S but will probably go down the valley and back up one of the other ones in the Gran Paradiso park a couple of times. A ride up to Gressoney or Champoluc would be good as I've been up there a couple of times skiing.