Ti bolts, yes or no?

13»

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I know loads of people who've run alu caliper bolts and not died. I'm not convinced, particularly with big rotors...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Last time I checked big rotors didn't increase the grip available at the front wheel (in fact a bigger rotor means less force for the given braking effect at the tyre/surface interface), but grippier rubber and heavier bike/rider would be worse.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    Actually I was thinking they used longer bolts, but they don't, the adapters are offset and they use two sets of bolts.

Gold star for the condescending "I'm an engineer" tone though!
  • The Rookie
    Sorry, condescension not intended!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It just comes naturally.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hope race brakes come with Ti bolts I'm sure they've been suitably tested.
  • njee20
    The new XTRs claim to have "titanium hardware", but I don't know if that actually means caliper bolts or not.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I use Ti rotor bolts and they work fine. I put Ti bolts all over my race bike to save perhaps 30g you could argue what was the point and you would be right, still I'd do it again
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • njee20
    you could argue what was the point

Yep, as has been observed on this thread use alu in non-safety critical places and you'll save more weight for far less money. Ti will save more than 30g though.
  • njee20
    Holy thread resurrection. Smells like advertising that.

I'd not buy ti bolts from a bike website, you'll pay over the odds.

FWIW the current XTR Race brakes do come with ti calliper bolts, and alu lever bolts.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Use stainless. A2 grade is stronger than Ti and much cheaper.
    A little smear of copper or aluminium grease around the thread is a good idea to prevent them seizing though.
  • The Rookie
    Yeah, but they are so heavy!