London Advice

daviesee
daviesee Posts: 6,386
edited May 2013 in Commuting chat
My good wife and I will be visiting London for a couple of days at the end of the month.
We will be staying at the Zetter Townhouse off Clerkenwell Road on a room only basis.

Any recommendations on where to go for breakfast?
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Comments

• MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Dunno about breakfast but I can recommend the cocktails!
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • daviesee
    MrSweary wrote:
    Dunno about breakfast but I can recommend the cocktails!
    One of the reasons for booking! :P
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Do a search, i'm sure there was similar thread the last time we were invaded by the scots.

Edit here you go
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Not my cup of tea, but lots of people love this place.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • daviesee
    rubertoe wrote:
    Do a search, i'm sure there was similar thread the last time we were invaded by the scots.

Edit here you go
    Doh!
    Found it about the same time you did. :wink:
    Helpful but was looking for something closer. At least I have some points of reference now.
    :P
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hawksmoor ftw. Not too far from you. I'm not a big English breakfast fan but that was outstanding. Better than any of the other well rated breakfasts I've had in the city.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Hawksmoor ftw. Not too far from you. I'm not a big English breakfast fan but that was outstanding. Better than any of the other well rated breakfasts I've had in the city.

I was there again this morning, and yes, it is very good. 8)

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Clerkenwell? Here http://www.themodernpantry.co.uk/ is pretty good. And local.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • daviesee
    Thanks guys!

I'll check back here in a fortnight. :P

I will also have to get used to London prices. :shock:
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    If you want cheaper you could do Pod (www.podfood.co.uk) - absolutely not a destination but much more reasonably priced, healthy and tasty food.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    There are a couple of greasy spoons on whitecross street market that do exactly what they say on the tin. Ltime I satyed at the Zetter (about 10 years ago mind) the breakfast was fairly good.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    this is nearby: http://www.lookmumnohands.com/ - cycling and food needs met! (foods good, but at london prices)
  • daviesee
    this is nearby: http://www.lookmumnohands.com/ - cycling and food needs met! (foods good, but at london prices)
    Ooooo, that's handy! :D
    I have handled NY and Paris prices so it is nothing to be concerned about.
    It just comes as an initial surprise. :wink:

Thanks again. :P
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Theres a little pub called the Dovetail (I think) down the alley next to the Zetter that has the best collection of Belgian beers I've seen outside of Belgium. Not very glamorous, mind.
  • sketchley
    There is also The Jerusalem Tavern not to far away which is a the St Peter's Brewery pub. Not too glamerous, very small, on a busy night you might be standing outside. Good, in fact excellent beer. http://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/london-pub/

Another option only a short walk is http://thecraftbeerco.com/location/clerkenwell-london/ although the link appear to be broken. Lots and lots of beer here....

mmmmm Beer!!!!
    --
    Chris

• daviesee
    homer_beer_2401_d.jpg
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,765
    Sketchley wrote:
    mmmmm Beer!!!!
    Not suitable for the invaders from the northland, but you might like this. I think I might be going late Saturday afternoon. I have to go bike shopping for my daughter first.
  • sketchley
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    mmmmm Beer!!!!
    Not suitable for the invaders from the northland, but you might like this. I think I might be going late Saturday afternoon. I have to go bike shopping for my daughter first.

I'm bike shopping too trip to enigma.... Afternoon might be free.....
    --
    Chris

• veronese68
    Sketchley wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    mmmmm Beer!!!!

Oooh, your shopping sounds more interesting than mine.
    How do you size a bike for a girl that has grown an inch in the last month? Currently 5'4" but in a year could easily be 5'9".
  • EKE_38BPM
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    mmmmm Beer!!!!

How do you size a bike for a girl that has grown an inch in the last month? Currently 5'4" but in a year could easily be 5'9".
    During my growth spurt, I grew an inch a month for about six months. It hurt. I outgrew all of my trousers, shirts and jumpers. I was always hungry.

Take pity on her when shes moody, you'd be moody too if you had chronic joint pain, your clothes didn't fit, you couldn't get enough food to feel satisfied, your hormones were going haywire and you had to live with your parents.

I am still always hungry, but at least my clothes fit now.

• sketchley
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    mmmmm Beer!!!!

Get The biggest frame she can fit on with seat all the way down, a very short stem and don't cut the steerer. As she grows you then have options. Other than that by a brand with a high resale value and trade in later.....
    --
    Chris

• daviesee
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    mmmmm Beer!!!!
    Sounds good to me as it turns out.
    Wrong dates though.
  • veronese68
    daviesee wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    mmmmm Beer!!!!
    Wrong dates though.
    Shame.
    Regarding kids growing, my son grew like EKE did. He got strange marks on his back, turned out they were stretch marks from growing like bamboo.
    My thoughts on sizing are much like Sketchley's. I just hope she goes for it as she is not very confident on a slightly large bike. We tried her on my wife's bike and she wouldn't ride it.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Koncordski wrote:

I was there again this morning, and yes, it is very good. 8)

Only let down by the outrageous mark up on wine. BYO Mondays fix this.

To the Op if you don't mind venturing over to Shoreditch I'd recommend Layla's. Can't beat their fried eggs with sage.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Veronese68 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    mmmmm Beer!!!!
    Wrong dates though.
    Shame.
    Regarding kids growing, my son grew like EKE did. He got strange marks on his back, turned out they were stretch marks from growing like bamboo.
    My thoughts on sizing are much like Sketchley's. I just hope she goes for it as she is not very confident on a slightly large bike. We tried her on my wife's bike and she wouldn't ride it.
    I've got stretch marks on my knees. I remember going to the doctor about the pain I was in and was told it was "just growing pain". I thought I was being fobbed off but it was true. I was growing at over 0.8mm PER DAY!

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Sketchley wrote:
    Get The biggest frame she can fit on with seat all the way down, a very short stem and don't cut the steerer. As she grows you then have options. Other than that by a brand with a high resale value and trade in later.....

Agreed. 100%
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    mmmmm Beer!!!!
    Wrong dates though.
    Shame.
    I've got stretch marks on my knees. I remember going to the doctor about the pain I was in and was told it was "just growing pain". I thought I was being fobbed off but it was true. I was growing at over 0.8mm PER DAY!
    Yeah I was told I had growing pains when I was in my teens.... Until I was about 16 I grew really, really fast. I was easily the tallest person in my year right through school. Until about 13 the next tallest person in my year was up to my shoulder at best. My dad always joked that he would kick me out of the house if I got taller than him, unfortunately for him I passed his height at about 14 so he couldn't legally boot me out on my own! My growth slowed when I hit about 16 and a lot of my peers caught up with me, I'm still tall but I didn't grow so much through my late teens...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    mmmmm Beer!!!!
    Wrong dates though.
    Shame.
    Yeah I was told I had growing pains when I was in my teens.... Until I was about 16 I grew really, really fast. I was easily the tallest person in my year right through school. Until about 13 the next tallest person in my year was up to my shoulder at best. My dad always joked that he would kick me out of the house if I got taller than him, unfortunately for him I passed his height at about 14 so he couldn't legally boot me out on my own! My growth slowed when I hit about 16 and a lot of my peers caught up with me, I'm still tall but I didn't grow so much through my late teens...
    As a child I was quite tall for my age but I had my growth spurt relatively late. Lots of my school mates shot past me to the point that I went from one of the tallest people in the school to one of the shortest. I was concerned that I would never break the 6 foot mark.

Then the painful growth spurt and I'm now 6'2".

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Topper mode engaged: My thigh bones grew much quicker than my hips for a bit. The bones/ligaments used to grind together (you'd hear them creaking), and I've got stretch marks across my hips...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.