Wobble

mcowan77
mcowan77 Posts: 560
edited May 2013 in Road general
I've noticed recently that my road bike has started to wobble...i think it's from the front wheel
It usually occurs when I'm either standing up goin up a hill or sitting after a fast decent
It's pretty random tbh

I've recently upgraded wheels and chainset but I'm sure it was the same b4 then

Any Ideads?

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    How do you mean wobble? does it feel like the wheels are not round? or something is working loose? Do your rims rub against the pads? What wheels did you upgrade to?
  • mcowan77
    It feels like the bike is going from side to side
    The wheels are true
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    speed wobble- possible crack in frame/joint. NOT GOOD DO NOT RIDE.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • smoggysteve
    pride4ever wrote:
    speed wobble- possible crack in frame/joint. NOT GOOD DO NOT RIDE.

What is the bike made of? Speed wobble can come and go and its a strange phenomenon that can happen on a perfectly safe bike. Are the wheels sitting correctly in the frame? make sure they are seated and not over tightened with the quick release.
  • mcowan77
    It's a giant defy
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    @ pride4ever, can you get a speed wobble going uphill?

Have you tried this Jens misquote..."Shut up bike"? :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • smoggysteve
    There is a possibility your wheels are deforming under the weight. when you go uphill is it worse if you are out of the saddle? more weight on the front wheel would make it wobble more if it was bending.
  • pride4ever
    team47b wrote:
    @ pride4ever, can you get a speed wobble going uphill?

Have you tried this Jens misquote..."Shut up bike"? :D

I could cos I'm a hill climbing beast, lol seriously I wouldn't ride a bike that wobbled intermittently. Chances are the OP,s frame is flexing due to a crack or fault during the manufacturing process.
  • mcowan77
    The wheels are only a week old

Had a look at the bike and found this where the top tube meets the seat tube..should I be worried?

image-6.jpg

image-5.jpg
  • pride4ever
    whoooooops!
  • smoggysteve
    pride4ever wrote:
    whoooooops!

Not really sure what you can add to that!!

looks bad to me. Not sure if thats salvageable at a cost effective price or a right off
  • mcowan77
    Warranty?
  • pride4ever
    I was really hoping I was wrong but that looks like classic weld fatigue. Sorry bro.
  • smoggysteve
    If you can prove its metal fatigue and not your fault. If the bike is still under warranty a manufacturing defect would be covered
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    pride4ever wrote:
    whoooooops!

Not really sure what you can add to that!!

looks bad to me. Not sure if thats salvageable at a cost effective price or a right off

Not too sure about that. It might just be a paint crack at the weld seam but it suggests that there is a degree of flex that caused it. That shouldn't really happen unless you are seriously overweight or doing stunt jumps on the bike. Whatever it is I would take it to Giant or your supplying LBS and ask them to comment. The big companies, Giant, Spesh, Trek etc are normally quite good at warranting defects. However I wouldn't be happy riding it.
  • mcowan77
    There is a cpl of chips/scrape on paintwork behind the rear brake that was caused by myself when i rounded a screw had to hacksaw the damm caliper off... They wouldnt hold this against me during any warranty claim?

It's nothing to do with the crack?
  • smoggysteve
    A crack on a weld on a bike thats starting to wobble would convince me its more than just paint. I would have suggested wheel wobble until I saw the pic. It all looks too much like metal fatigue to be anything else. A road bike should be able to absorb any sudden shocks even heavy ones without it cracking. As you say though, the bigger brands like ~Giant should have a good warranty cover.
  • mcowan77
    Here's the damage I caused with a hacksck andva Rounded screw a cpl of years ago. Do u think this will affect my warranty claim?

image-7.jpg
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Hacksaw? Looks like you took an axe to it :(
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Is it possible that whatever sledgehammer you took to the brakes caused the weakness? I'm sure that's what they'll suggest. :(
  • mcowan77
    Yes I know... But will affect my claim?
  • mcowan77
    I can't see how it has caused the weakness it only paintwork damage?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,062
    Contact them anyway you having nothing to lose, also are those conti tyres on the right way? :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mcowan77
    Ill take it into lbs tommorrow...tyres are on right direction...I think!!
  • Cheshire Cat
    Cheshire Cat Posts: 309
    mcowan77 wrote:
    Here's the damage I caused with a hacksck andva Rounded screw a cpl of years ago. Do u think this will affect my warranty claim?

A couple of years ago...Giant don't offer a lifetime warranty. Don't think you will have any luck trying to claim from the manufacturer.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • mcowan77
    The paintwork damage was a cpl of years ago...the crack only appeared in the lst few weeks
  • Cheshire Cat
    Cheshire Cat Posts: 309
    mcowan77 wrote:
    The paintwork damage was a cpl of years ago...the crack only appeared in the lst few weeks

...but more than likely outside your warranty period. You fail to mention how old the frame is.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • mcowan77
    Sorty...The whole bike is only 3 yrs old
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I'll be amazed if you get anything out of them for that. They'll point out that there's plenty of evidence that the frame's been subjected to unreasonable abuse.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • mcowan77
    Im going to try a touch up before i take it on... Any tips?...need some white paint