C59 owners? bad points?

2»

Comments

• Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Which paint scheme did you go for ?

I have to confess to being suckered in by the Mapei edition and have one on order, hopefully for delivery in October. For the first time in my life I have been ordering white cables !
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    INCI is what I went for in the end. I was just wondering about white cables last night, I've got a set of Campag blacks sat around and some Yokozuna white for Campag, but if I go white I realised the Yokozuna won't really work on the C59, so I'd have to get a Campag white set. Probably gonna do it black though.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    OT but as you mentioned it, I'd be interested to hear what you didn't/don't like about your R3
  • mfin
    Crozza wrote:
    OT but as you mentioned it, I'd be interested to hear what you didn't/don't like about your R3

I'd wanted a C59 for ages, so that's the main reason. The thing about the C59 is it's a modern classic, well, to me, so I could keep it 10 years and it will always be a C59 if you know what I mean.

A definite 'want' and some current sizIng niggles with the R3 made me decide I'd go for the C59 Frameset and sell the R3 Frameset.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    mfin wrote:
    (just to put that in context, one of my bikes is an R3, and I can pick a few things about it which are disappointing)

this is what I was getting at
  • mfin
    Crozza wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    (just to put that in context, one of my bikes is an R3, and I can pick a few things about it which are disappointing)

this is what I was getting at

Ah, okay... that's not really to do with the ride. It's all R3s in general, I think don't think the finish of the carbon or the paint really stands up against something like a high end equivalent Giant for example, I mean, that's nit-picking. I also think they should have moved the point where the 'rear brake rearmost cable stop on the top tube' forward an inch, as if you are using really stiff brake outer, like Yokozuna or something like that Jagwire compressionless stuff you can't really use it for the back brake's final 6" of outer. This is because the stiffness of the outer means the rear brake never centers, whereas if they moved the stop forward on the TT a bit then it would be no issue. This is pretty much down to Campag single pivot Record and Super Record being more sensitive to things like this (got round easily by just using a more normal bit of outer for that 6inch back bit, I used an off cut of some Gore last time). ...saying that, this issue arises on quite a lot of frames (had same problem with a build of a Scott CR1 Pro on a Tiagra rear brake using Jagwire), if you've never picked up some Yokozuna it's chalk and cheese how more unbendy it is than regular outer.
  • Mccaria
    Nice choice mfin.

It was down to INCI or Mapei for me, but as I have a few predominantly black bikes I thought this time I would go loud and bling ! Would agree probably black cables on the INCI
  • mfin
    Yeah, I've got black and white tape 'in stock' and I've got my favourite Saddle in black and in white, so I'll have a good stare at it when it arrives and see what I reckon at that point.

You're brave going for the Mapei one, that is loud! I liked the italian flag colours on the black, wouldn't have got a plain black one for sure.

Did you get told mid-October from a UK retailer getting it from Windwave?
  • Mccaria
    Yep, Uk retailer said it would be 6-8 weeks, so it maybe early October but expecting mid-October. Agree on the Italian flag colours, looks really nice. For me I remember lusting after a Colnago Mapei and not being able to afford one, so when they came out with that colour scheme on the C59, it really was a no-brainer. Have everything ready to go on it. If its as bling as it looks in the photos then it will either be ridden for recovery rides (so I can tell myself that is the reason everyone is over-taking me) or when I am feeling top notch and can really go for a blast.

Looking forward to seeing the INCI, but don't make it too good, so that I regret going bling !!