I hate bike snobs

13»

Comments

• what a clustersf*ck of a thread. bunch of douches.

you silly cockwhisk, take your Halfords Sora bike elsewhere
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    @mfin
    I may have missed this, but what were you riding? Sounds interesting.

R3, and the other bloke was on a TCR Advanced, maybe SL... so any envy/looking down is not really explained in his behaviour as they're the exact same ballpark Id say.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    mfin wrote:
    @mfin

R3, and the other bloke was on a TCR Advanced, maybe SL... so any envy/looking down is not really explained in his behaviour as they're the exact same ballpark Id say.

I have a shocking revelation to suggest, this may astonish you. Maybe it has nothing to do with the bike, and he is just a dick like a large percentage of the population?
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713
    I have a shocking revelation to suggest, this may astonish you. Maybe it has nothing to do with the bike, and he is just a dick like a large percentage of the population?
    ^this x 1 million

Dick will be dicks, whether they're in a car, on a bike, on the pavement or ignoring your good manners and breeding when you hold open a door for them. Same goes for grumpy folks.... :wink:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    mfin wrote:
    @mfin

Don't I know it. I always say that cyclists don't automatically have anything more in common than the general population other than they ride bikes. Sh1tloads of them are social retards! (any ignorant people annoy me, get a repeat offender on a bike and it just stands out a bit :) )
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    When I'm cycling I hate drivers. When I'm driving I hate cyclists. I'm generally confused.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I'm getting back into cycling after 20 years out of the sport. Was a semi-pro at 19 when i smashed my foot and had to stop cycling because my foot couldn't handle the training. Now i've recently turned 40......,

Later this year Tom Donhou is building me a road bike. Completely bespoke, it will cost me a pretty penny but it is in part my 40th birthday present to myself. And will i care what anyone else thinks - no, i won't give a toss. It will be my bike, i will have designed it (with Tom, of course) and i will love every second on it. I won't be as fast as i was when i was competitive, but i won't care a jot.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    I'm getting back into cycling after 20 years out of the sport. Was a semi-pro at 19 when i smashed my foot and had to stop cycling because my foot couldn't handle the training. Now i've recently turned 40......,

Later this year Tom Donhou is building me a road bike. Completely bespoke, it will cost me a pretty penny but it is in part my 40th birthday present to myself. And will i care what anyone else thinks - no, i won't give a toss. It will be my bike, i will have designed it (with Tom, of course) and i will love every second on it. I won't be as fast as i was when i was competitive, but i won't care a jot.

Noone actually cares about what bike your riding as long as you have a smile on your face, which it sounds like it will. I have yet to run across anyone unkind because of a bike!
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Although I've not been riding long ....

Without exception, everyone who I've passed or has overtaken me have acknowledged me (in a nice way). Despite my (according to some on here) "common as muck" Allez. A very positive experience so far chaps ;)

P.S. Not seen another Allez yet ... Last five spotted bikes were ...

2 x Colnagos
    1 x Pinarello
    1 x Felt
    1 x Willier
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

Noone actually cares about what bike your riding as long as you have a smile on your face, which it sounds like it will. I have yet to run across anyone unkind because of a bike!

Yep, i agree. Life's too short to worry about what bike someone else is riding.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    mr_eddy wrote:
    I dont like you, You look ridiculous in lycra

Someone a bit too fat to wear lycra? 8)
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    You guys are so yesterday. Inverted snobbery is where its at. I could probably buy Vtech a 1000 times over but I choose to ride a pileo'shite. Also passing others is so Essex, being passed is the new black!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Why Pee j'agree. I get passed all the time and if anything reflects very well on me :-)
  • Gpfanuk
    Gpfanuk Posts: 142
    My late grandmother used to have a saying... "third class transport is better than first class walking". Think about it next time you want to knock someone for riding bike brand A or B... they all go up hills and down hills. No matter what you ride there will always be someone who thinks that they are better than you just because of what they ride.. We all have dreams, it's just that for some of us they remain exactly that. :wink:
    Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
    ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
    A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
    Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    You guys are so yesterday. Inverted snobbery is where its at. I could probably buy Vtech a 1000 times over but I choose to ride a pileo'shite. Also passing others is so Essex, being passed is the new black!

I'm not sure why I have been bought into this but I'm for sale if you want to buy me, wether its once or a thousand times :)
    Living MY dream.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    VTech wrote:

I'm not sure why I have been bought into this but I'm for sale if you want to buy me, wether its once or a thousand times :)
    So you're a rent boy then. :wink::lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • dmclite-3.0
    dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
    You guys...........mind you I am a snob, not about brands etc but strapping kit on yer bike. mini-pumps on frames ? shudders. large saddle bags ? retches tribags on top tubes weeps.....

Just ride the wheels, we are all riders. :)
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • andy_f
    andy_f Posts: 474
    You guys...........mind you I am a snob, not about brands etc but strapping kit on yer bike. mini-pumps on frames ? shudders. large saddle bags ? retches tribags on top tubes weeps.....

I have a lovely big saddle bag, pump clipped to down tube next to bottle cage and a tribag. All on a gorgeous carbon/alu Gios V107. Next purchase - spokey dokies.
    "Let your life rule your job, not your job rule your life"

Born to ride, forced to work.
  • dmclite-3.0
    ANDY F wrote:

I have a lovely big saddle bag, pump clipped to down tube next to bottle cage and a tribag. All on a gorgeous carbon/alu Gios V107. Next purchase - spokey dokies.

Bet you wear socks'n'sandals, eat kippers and have every Kate Bush LP, evah. :|
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Anyone who is bothered enough about the purchase of their bike that they avoid buying it from the supermarket earns a measure of respect from me.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • andy_f
    andy_f Posts: 474
    ANDY F wrote:

What about the pipe? you forgot the pipe, big one it is, like Sherlock Holmes. Filled to the brim with a good rough shag.
    "Let your life rule your job, not your job rule your life"

Born to ride, forced to work.
  • dmclite-3.0
    ANDY F wrote:
    ANDY F wrote:

What about the pipe? you forgot the pipe, big one it is, like Sherlock Holmes. Filled to the brim with a good rough shag.
    And your own tankard for real ale drinking. Dangling from your bars, :D