Improve Endurance

adowling92
adowling92 Posts: 225
Best way to improve endurance?

I can average around 18mph for 40-50 miles, but i have a charity ride coming up and one stage is 80+ miles.
Any suggestions on how to best train for it? (its in July)
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. --John F. Kennedy

Comments

• NUFCrichard
    NUFCrichard Posts: 103
    If you can do 18mph for nearly 3h, I am sure you can easily manage 16mph for 5h to do the 80 miles.
    Maybe do the distance a few times before the event, learn what you can stomach eating on the bike and you will be fine.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    29km/hr is a good average speed. Why do you not go further than 80km though? That average speed suggests you should be quite capable of doing so.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Pacing by speed is a bad idea......
  • adowling92
    If you can do 18mph for nearly 3h, I am sure you can easily manage 16mph for 5h to do the 80 miles.
    Maybe do the distance a few times before the event, learn what you can stomach eating on the bike and you will be fine.
    Fair point, i'll try it.
    phreak wrote:
    29km/hr is a good average speed. Why do you not go further than 80km though? That average speed suggests you should be quite capable of doing so.
    Mostly because my legs feel like they have nothing left.
    danowat wrote:
    Pacing by speed is a bad idea......
    Any suggestions then?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    As has been suggested, maybe try dropping your pace a bit and see how far you get :)
  • adowling92
    phreak wrote:
    As has been suggested, maybe try dropping your pace a bit and see how far you get :)

Will give it a try, cheers fella!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Pace by effort, speed is a pretty pointless measurement, especially if travelling in one direction, if you have a headwind, trying to maintain 18mph might have you on your knees after an hour or so, but 18 mph with a tailwind and you will go on for hours without a care in the world.

Back to the OP, either go harder for the miles you currently do, not all of the time, but every other ride perhaps. Alternatively keep at the effort you currently ride at, but for a longer period, both will improve endurance. Saying that there is not alot of difference between 60 miles and 80 miles in all honesty, and if you are doing a charity ride with others you will probably draft some of the time as well saving a huge amount of energy in the process.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    So to "focus" your training use either a power meter of some kind or a HRM.

Seems sound advice to me.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.