Walsh again

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited May 2013 in Pro race
Is he trying to win "Most Tedious Bore of the Year" award or something? I thought he learned about being a fan with a typewriter?

His Dowsett comments were kind of classy though...
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    what did he say about dowsett?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    camerone wrote:
    what did he say about dowsett?

https://twitter.com/james_fairbank_/sta ... 84/photo/1

It was a dumb comment, but I've no idea how it's relevant to a race report 6 months (or whatever) after he said it.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    Ah, thanks for that. seems a little un necessary. Dowsett was upset about it according to Millar
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    camerone wrote:
    Ah, thanks for that. seems a little un necessary. Dowsett was upset about it according to Millar

When I read it this morning, I thought it was unnecessary and irrelevant. We all know Dowsett's comments at the time were a bit dumb, but no need to make reference in a race report. Jeez, it wasnt like he'd been done for being on the hard stuff, he'd only given some spur of the moment comment in reply to some hack who sought him out just before the start of a race, looking for a headline.

Millar's on a tear about it, for sure
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    From @millarmind...
    Congratulated 24yr old @alexdowsett this morning, was sad to see how disappointed he was about what @DavidWalshST had written about him.
    4:41 p.m. Sun, May 12
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Haha lauding a drugs cheat and being praised by a drugs cheat - and I thought wiggins was having a bad Giro :mrgreen:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Haha
  • iainf72
    If Dowsett still rode for Sky, I'd put money on it he wouldn't have published that.
  • Neil Buckley
    Neil Buckley Posts: 334
    Totally uncalled for, unfair and pointless comment.
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Habbits of a decade are tough to give up I guess.

Can definitely see why Dowset would be p!ssed off.

Never been a Walsh fan.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Not really fair on Dowsett that article from Walsh. We should be celebrating his riding not raking up comments he made in the past
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Hardly surprising a national TT champ winning a time trial...
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    Not very good that
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    He could have avoided saying it and at least praised him, absolutely agree on that, but I dont see something particularly nasty in what he says - he was just reporting the truth of events that happened.

I`m glad Dowsett left Sky as he wasn`t in their Chosen Circel, and I hope he can go from strength to strength and perform in some classics.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    I agree that this wasn't the time to raise it but everyone must have been a little surprised Alex chose to be a team mate of Valverde no?
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    David Walsh ‏@DavidWalshST
    1/6: Rest days at GTs can be good: Have just spent an hour shooting the breeze with Alex Dowsett which was both interesting and informative.

2/6: I'd wanted to catch up with him, he got to me first. He wanted me to know the daft things about LA last Oct didn't reflect his beliefs.

3/6: Everyone in Sky speaks highly of Alex, good guy with good ethics, and they felt what he'd said didn't tally with the person they knew.

4/6: We talked about it. LA had been a hero at one time and in China he wasn't aware of what had come out and felt very foolish that evening

5/6: He realises if he'd been a pro in LA era, he would have had a less successful career. Said he understood why I wrote what I did in ST.

6/6: Alex Dowsett says he has never seen a performance enhancing drug, let alone taken one. He doesn't need me to believe that, but I do.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    dowsett used to ride for livestrong didn't he... was wearing livestrong colours when i last stole some air off him as he buzzed around essex.

probably felt he owed him or something.... what walsh said was basically true though dowsett was most known for that remark... more so than the junior 2 up TT record (or summit IIRC) with joe perrett.

walsh should see he is just a kid..... dowsett isn't the problem walsh
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    iainf72 wrote:
    If Dowsett still rode for Sky, I'd put money on it he wouldn't have published that.

If Dowsett was still at Sky he wouldn't be riding the Giro.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Well I for one won't know what to make of this storm in a teacup until Paul Kimmage tells me what to think.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    All those tweets but nothing really constituting an apology for the pointless reference in his article. Disappointed in Walsh.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Pross wrote:
    All those tweets but nothing really constituting an apology for the pointless reference in his article. Disappointed in Walsh.

Why should Walsh apologise? He's a journalist. AD is a grown adult who said some pretty daft things. DW clearly recognises that he has not given AD the opportunity to give his side and has put this right through the tweets.

move on.
  • Pross
    Biggest result of a career so far and a journalist who decides to use it to drag up some comments that were made 6 months ago by a rider ambushed at the start of a race on the other side of the world. Dowsett's 'side of the story' was reported the very same evening after he had been given time to find out what had happened / been given a lecture by the Sky PR team. I'm surprised the Dowsett side was news to Walsh today given that I knew all that months ago.

The tweets seem to acknowledge he was in the wrong but without actually apologising for raking up old and irrelevant news.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    oneof1982 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Why should Walsh apologise? He's a journalist. AD is a grown adult who said some pretty daft things. DW clearly recognises that he has not given AD the opportunity to give his side and has put this right through the tweets.

move on.

so when Wiggo sorts himself out and takes a stage, he'll rake up the "descending like a bit of girl" quote, is that how this works :roll:
  • iainf72
    awavey wrote:

so when Wiggo sorts himself out and takes a stage, he'll rake up the "descending like a bit of girl" quote, is that how this works :roll:

No. if Dowsett was riding for Sky Murdochs cheerleader wouldn't have mentioned it.
  • Chebrikov
    Chebrikov Posts: 29
    Pross wrote:
    Biggest result of a career so far and a journalist who decides to use it to drag up some comments that were made 6 months ago by a rider ambushed at the start of a race on the other side of the world. Dowsett's 'side of the story' was reported the very same evening after he had been given time to find out what had happened / been given a lecture by the Sky PR team. I'm surprised the Dowsett side was news to Walsh today given that I knew all that months ago.

The tweets seem to acknowledge he was in the wrong but without actually apologising for raking up old and irrelevant news.

Dowsett is an Armstrong apologist, he may well regret his comments about Armstrong, but he made them, and the comments made it perfectly clear what his attitude was. Walsh is correct to remind people.
  • Richmond Racer
    edited May 2013
    Iain: not quite true to say that if Dowsett was riding for Sky it would never have been mentioned by Walsh.

Walsh addressed the history of Dombrowski's previous allegiance to Armstrong in the very first article he wrote on Sky for the ST in Jan. Devoted quite a few column inches to it, actually.

Ian Boswell has also talked about his previous assocation with Armstrong in a number of interviews this year.

All 3 rode for Bontrager Livestrong. There is an association to the Big Bad Lance Wolf, whether people like it or not. Armstrong wasnt a silent sponsor - all the riders saw a lot of him (and that includes the likes of Phinney), off the bike as well as on. I'm not saying for one second that I think the team isnt 100% clean, but there is an association that doesnt go away just cos its in the past (the added fact its managed by Axel Merckx who was introduced to Ferrari by his own father, also not particularly helpful in that respect, nor the fact that both father and son Merckx stood up publicly in support of Lance last year).

What actually gets me is that so many of the people up in arms on Twatter etc at Walsh for what he wrote, were the very same people who abused and criticised Alex last Sep for what he said. God spare me the hyprocrisy.
  • Pross
    Chebrikov wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Dowsett is an Armstrong apologist, he may well regret his comments about Armstrong, but he made them, and the comments made it perfectly clear what his attitude was. Walsh is correct to remind people.

What a load of cr@p. At the time he made the comments he was on the startline of a race (Tour of Beijing from memory) and hadn't heard the latest on the situation. He had also been riding for the Livestrong team at one point so you can surely understand some loyalty? There were plenty of far more experienced pros being far more supportive of LA even after they knew the full facts of the USADA case, does Walsh raise that any time he reports on them winning?
  • Richmond Racer
    Pross wrote:
    Chebrikov wrote:
    Pross wrote:

What a load of cr@p. At the time he made the comments he was on the startline of a race (Tour of Beijing from memory) and hadn't heard the latest on the situation. He had also been riding for the Livestrong team at one point so you can surely understand some loyalty? There were plenty of far more experienced pros being far more supportive of LA even after they knew the full facts of the USADA case, does Walsh raise that any time he reports on them winning?

No - but then Walsh doesnt write race reports, does he. He doesnt go to all the races covering them and filing reports. The Giro's the first race he's been to since being persona non grata back in the early-mid 00s.
  • Chebrikov
    Chebrikov Posts: 29
    Merckx and Indurain were very supportive of Armstrong.