Wind is brutal!!!!!!

KevChallis
KevChallis Posts: 646
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Anybody else finding the wind at the moment power sapping? Ok I've not been cycling long, but nearly every direction I turned of the 37 miles I cycled this morning, it was windy!!! Got home and looked at the weather showed gusts of 30mph!!!! I was pedalling hard in a wish gear down big hills!!!! Wasn't a fun ride as such, but my longest yet, and surely that wind helps for when it's not windy by adding resistance, the same as hills?

Overall quite happy, although sit bone ache as still no bibs, went to get some yesterday as a local shop had my size in, but throttle got stuck open on my car at 60mph and hit armco barrier twice, whoops!!
Kev
PlanetX Pro Carbon
Voodoo Bizango

Comments

• Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    I had it yesterday,in fact i turned back because it was blowing me into the traffic.Its not worth the risk.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Here where i live we have no hills but have wind almost all the time. It,s good training believe me.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    It can be evil on many a ride I've been curing the wind god, anyone within earshot would be forgiven for thinking "the bloke on that bike's barmy". :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • KevChallis
    It can be evil on many a ride I've been curing the wind god, anyone within earshot would be forgiven for thinking "the bloke on that bike's barmy". :lol:

This was definitely me today!! I quote.... "wind why don't you just f*ck off!!!"

Haha
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Wind is a biatch,got caught out yesterday in a storm,spent 25 minutes in a phone box,wet cold and miserable while it passed over.Not fun at all.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    90 steady miles for me on a social club ride yesterday into Wales - including an approx 4 mile climb seemingly straight into it. Certainly hard yesterday, and then coming home the wind swung around to come from the NW and a direct headwind again for the last 15 miles or so - straight off the sea too.

Here's my ride anyway.. http://app.strava.com/activities/53595247
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I pick a route heading out in to the wind, then I get a side wind for a while and try and get the last 40 - 50% of the ride with a tail wind.
    You're not going to head out with a tail wind are you, you want the help when you're knackered, also try and get the tail wind when you're heading into the hills and then when you're dropping back down it could well be in your face.
  • Gkarno
    Gkarno Posts: 15
    Had my first strong headwind ride today with 3 of my friends. Overall 35 miles but as soon as we turned around we had I couldn't believe it! Going slightly downhill and I was feeling as if I was going backwards. Never thought that the wind could do so much damage I was nearly crying up a few hills haha.
  • dfriel2
    dfriel2 Posts: 47
    Have been building up slowly over the last few weeks and today was my longest ride. Only 35 miles but a good bit longer than my normal routes.. the wind really caught me out. It was proper hard work. Also learnt that early morning rides after an evening on beer isn't hugely sensible..
  • Kingsmill1
    Kingsmill1 Posts: 103
    A few weeks ago when is was gusting about 30 mph I was cursing the wind god like a few others however on the way back KOM on strava with a max speed of 42 mph and an average over a mile of 35 mph I suspect it will never be beaten unless of course the wind god seeks revenge
    Giant TCR Comp 2
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • dynamicbrick
    dynamicbrick Posts: 460
    It's not a headwind until you have to drop onto the granny ring and put your chin on the stem ;)

The masochist in me prefers headwinds - at least you get a cooling effect. Turning and having the wind behind me after miles of slogging into it equals instant boil-in-a-bag and chronic calf cramps.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    elderone wrote:
    Wind is a biatch,got caught out yesterday in a storm,spent 25 minutes in a phone box,wet cold and miserable while it passed over.Not fun at all.

Sorry.. but this is hilarious :lol:
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    elderone wrote:

My friend also got caught in that yesterday - his phone no longer works. :lol:
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    It's not a headwind until you have to drop onto the granny ring and put your chin on the stem ;)

... and you're going downhill :wink:
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    doug5_10 wrote:

... and you're going downhill :wink:

12mph DOWN the Horse Shoe Pass last weekend and pushing hard to maintain it. Yes that was a proper windy ride! :mrgreen:
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Rain and cold I can put up with but the wind I hate. Always seems to have a knack of changing direction on the return leg too.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    Bozman wrote:
    You're not going to head out with a tail wind are you.

Why not? If it's a training ride then may as well make the most of time in the saddle. Usually go hard out into the wind TT style then on return leg get comfy have a drink and try to maintain steady tempo on way back. Must work, got in a two man breakaway in this weekends race and we managed to make it stick. Hurt more than a day in the wind but I think the wind will toughen you mentally more than the hills will. Ask anyone from Norfolk (or Lincs)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bozman wrote:
    I pick a route heading out in to the wind, then I get a side wind for a while and try and get the last 40 - 50% of the ride with a tail wind.
    You're not going to head out with a tail wind are you, you want the help when you're knackered, also try and get the tail wind when you're heading into the hills and then when you're dropping back down it could well be in your face.

Ahh, great advice if only this worked. Bird in the hand and all that. Better to go out with the tail wind. That way, if the wind changes (it won't) you get a tail wind out and return. If you go out into the headwind, if the wind changes (it will) you end up with a headwind in both directions.

Also, headwinds aren't usually (IME) much of an issue in the hills - headwinds may manifest themselves on the high ground but on the actual climbs are often not an issue and I'd rather have any tailwind on the descent - pedalling hard to maintain a slow speed downhill is depressing!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Gpfanuk
    Gpfanuk Posts: 142
    Completed the innaugural Wiggle Yorkshire Weaver yesterday (alleged 56 miles, actual 59) and the wind on the return leg was a killer! Combined with the very hilly nature of this sportive I can honestly say that my next one should be a lot easier. :roll:
    Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
    ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
    A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
    Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016
  • RiderUk
    RiderUk Posts: 71
    elderone wrote:

Sorry.. but this is hilarious :lol:
    That made me laugh as well, I could just imagine it.
  • gangxu
    gangxu Posts: 25
    A lot of is mind over matter. Was watching the Met office prediction today trying to plan a ride, gusts of 40mph+, heard the wind howling around the house...nearly didn't go out, but ended up doing 44mile loop, wasn't half as bad as I expected. The way I see the more I ride in windy/wet/bad conditions, the faster I'll be when the weather settles down. :D
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Hill reps will sort you right out.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I got caught in hail last night 2 miles from home as I was heading back, had to find shelter as it was starting to hurt.
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    hmmm decisions, heavy rain and likely gale force winds this evening, turbo or soaking?
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • KevChallis
    hatch87 wrote:
    hmmm decisions, heavy rain and likely gale force winds this evening, turbo or soaking?

showers here, I am going out tonight :D
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Dan007
    Dan007 Posts: 10
    Yes it is.
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    hatch87 wrote:

Wind and rain every time. Turbo is beyon dull and mine has become an expensive bike stand. Bit of rain won't do you any harm if you have a decent jacket, and you can feel all smug and superior over those who stayed inside instead of train
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    WindyG wrote:
    I got caught in hail last night 2 miles from home as I was heading back, had to find shelter as it was starting to hurt.
    I had quite a few miles of that last night. Wind pretty strong and heavy rain punctuated with hail for 28 miles. I was soaked from mile 5 but ground it out and found the whole experience quite cathartic in a bizarre way. It looks like we are in for more of the same weather in the next week so better get used to it. vs the turbo - i prefer to get wet!!!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Rolf F wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

Ahh, great advice if only this worked. Bird in the hand and all that. Better to go out with the tail wind. That way, if the wind changes (it won't) you get a tail wind out and return. If you go out into the headwind, if the wind changes (it will) you end up with a headwind in both directions.

Also, headwinds aren't usually (IME) much of an issue in the hills - headwinds may manifest themselves on the high ground but on the actual climbs are often not an issue and I'd rather have any tailwind on the descent - pedalling hard to maintain a slow speed downhill is depressing!

Spot on !!!

I did a hilly 54miles on Saturday, the outward leg headed south west into a b1tch of a headwind. Funnily enough, most of the return leg was also into a headwind ! It was f*cking hard work.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    What a disappointment, the forecast was wrong, it ended up being light rain with the occasional gust of wind, only lost 1mph on my normal average. Felt like lieutenant Dan at times though, but with all my limbs still attached
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!