Please not halfords
    Yeah, I suggest Burger King.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    its the closest shop to me,except Burger King......are their gauges any different from any other shop or is it just the name HALFORDS you dont like
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I remember a test of tyre pressure gauges in a bike mag some time back, and Halfords cheap as chips metal pencil style gauge was one of the most accurate on test. I have half a dozen or so gauges of different types, and the difference from the one that reads lowest to the one that reads highest is about 2psi.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Metal pencil gauges are the most accurate.

Feel is no way to judge tyre pressure AT ALL.

As you are running tubes, I'd suggest starting at around 26psi, if you get (or it feels like you'll get) pinch flats or they are too 'squirmy' go up (2 pis at a time), if they feel good, try going down.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    hainman wrote:
    cheers mate,i dont run tubeless so would it still be ok or better with wire bead one??

You want this one. http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOOSM26X225/on_one_smorgasbord_26x225_tyre, in dual compound "trail extreme" format. £14.99 each.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Metal pencil gauges are the most accurate.

Not necessarily, but they do tend to be among the more accurate of cheap gauges. At home I use one of these, as it's easy to read, and the button to bleed off excess pressure makes things a lot easier - just over inflate, whack the gauge on and press the button until the pressure drops to exactly where you want it, no messing about measuring, pressing the valve, re measuring etc.

58497652-2438-4bfb-b956-befc38dfcd32.jpg

I keep a pencil gauge in my baccpack though (and others under the seat of my motorbikes).
  • acer2012
    acer2012 Posts: 45
    Maxxis advantage recently got my vote along with a nobby nic up front. My solution so far is keeping this setup for spring-autumn then swapping the advantage for a jones mud x during the winter. Bontrager xr4 was a close contender though...
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    Eventually bought some minions,got a deal on some 2nd hand but practically new ones,had the maiden voyage at Glentress and they were amazing compared to the nobbys,
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie