Tyres 50 - 60 quid to spend

Rippedabs123
Rippedabs123 Posts: 69
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi there!
I need a new set of tyres to replace my maxxis high rollers on my GT avalanche 1.0 2008, I can't spend anymore than £60.
I will use them 90% off road and 10% on road, mainly XC riding.
They will be tubeless.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
road: carrera tdf ltd 2012
xc: gt avalance 1.0 2008

love cycling :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Round rubbery ones.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a67530/x-king-racesport-22-special-package-incl-2-inner-tubes.html

Showing not in stock right now but might be worth keeping an eye on
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ok thanks

• Have you run these tyres?

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What style and surface of off road?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Garett
    Garett Posts: 29
    I'm using a schwalbe nobby nic up front and a rocket ron on the back. Both in the standard cheapo performance compound the nobby only lets go if you do something daft and ask too much of it and even then it's surprised me with how well it holds on. The ron is quicker and a little less grippy than the nic but is a lot more predictable when it lets go, I'm a big fan.
  • What style and surface of off road?
    using for mainly cross country mountain biking.

• Garett wrote:
    I'm using a schwalbe nobby nic up front and a rocket ron on the back. Both in the standard cheapo performance compound the nobby only lets go if you do something daft and ask too much of it and even then it's surprised me with how well it holds on. The ron is quicker and a little less grippy than the nic but is a lot more predictable when it lets go, I'm a big fan.
    ok thanks i am looking at them both right now, they would be great together and plus i can get them both for just over £40 :)

• i think i have now narrowed it down to two sets of tyres,
    two continental x-kings, that i can get for £29,
    or the schwalbe nobby nic on the front and the rocket ron on the rear, i can get them for just over £40.
    i just wonder if it is worth the extra money for the schwalbes' or if i should just get the x-kings that are a tenner less?

• kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I’ve tried a fair few tyres and don't get on with the X-King. Yes it rolls well but don't find they have much grip.

Al the tyres recommend won't grip as well as the ones you have, but should offer less resistance.
  • The Rookie
    What style and surface of off road?
    That's the use, what surface - loamy, sandy, gravel, muddy, shale....... no tyre recommendation is worth toffee without being taylored to the surface!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a ... lding.html

Pair of Ralphs. £29 each and £3 or so for postage more or less keeps in budget. Got one on the way as a rear for mine for the 'summer'. Worked well for me on my last bike on the loamy/rooty natural trails that I ride. Snakeskin versions are pennies more if you're worried about punctures and don't mind the slight weight penalty.
  • AlexJo
    AlexJo Posts: 10
    That website has some great deals. Those tyres look great, but yeh all dependent on surface.. the roads by me are all being worked on so they're absolutely dreadful at the moment! Would absolutely ruin my tyres if I were to ride on the road, going to have to look for calmer plains!
  • What style and surface of off road?
    That's the use, what surface - loamy, sandy, gravel, muddy, shale....... no tyre recommendation is worth toffee without being taylored to the surface!
    will be used on sandy/gravel, muddy terrain

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Have to say that I've been really impressed with the On One Smorgasbord (dual compound). Set up tubeless.

Dirt cheap (£15 max), grippy, fast rolling, good size and shape and made by Maxxis.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Have to say that I've been really impressed with the On One Smorgasbord (dual compound). Set up tubeless.

Dirt cheap (£15 max), grippy, fast rolling, good size and shape and made by Maxxis.
    ok thanks i will look into them

• hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    do you run the smorgasborg up front or rear??
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    hainman wrote:
    I try and use tyres both ends, much easier than popping a 15 mile wheelie.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • hainman
    aye funny.....you should be on stage!!!!!
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    GrenW wrote:
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a90324/racing-ralph-evo-pacestar-225-tl-ready-folding.html

Pair of Ralphs. £29 each and £3 or so for postage more or less keeps in budget. Got one on the way as a rear for mine for the 'summer'. Worked well for me on my last bike on the loamy/rooty natural trails that I ride. Snakeskin versions are pennies more if you're worried about punctures and don't mind the slight weight penalty.
    Or £19.99 each with free postage from On-One:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYSCRALFEVO ... lding_tyre
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    hainman wrote:

Both.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • hainman
    cheers mate,i dont run tubeless so would it still be ok or better with wire bead one??
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • The Rookie
    No, none at all, folding is lighter, and with some tyres comes with a better tread (compound or pattern).

For a good all round tyre the Panaracer Fire XC Pro is good, around £20 for the folder....
  • hainman
    cheers The beginner,just dont want to have to fork out loads for tyres when mine are next to new,i found the nic very slippy on wet rock
    my mate has ran the fire pros for years,might grab a shot of his as his bike hasnt turned a wheel in months.
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • The Rookie
    Base Nics are slippery on rocks, they are also in terms of rocks and roots very sensative on pressure, my daughter (9stone) runs around 25psi and they are MUCH gripper at that than at 30psi round Cannock (slate).

A lot of people I ride with use XC Pro's as we use a wide variety of surfaces locally and while they excel on none, they are good on all and fairly fast rolling on hardpack/road as well.
  • hainman
    nice one,yeh i have been told to play about with my pressures 1st before forking out for new tyre(s).....heading to glentress onnsaturday so will have a play about there,done Ae last week and slipped on most if not all the rocky stuff while my mate had high rollers maxpro and he flew over the stuff.but on the gravel trail they are fine,
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • The Rookie
    What pressures are you at now, how aggresive are you (slamming into 'stuff' or floating over/round) and what bike is it (Travel front/rear)? When I try out the daughters bike (as her chief mechanic - aka the mug that fixes stuff for free) I run around 30Psi (12stone in Birthday suite) and that seems about right (130mm hardtail), and less and the tyres are too draggy and 'squirmy'.
  • hainman
    I ride a 150mm Giant Reign2,would say im the best rider inthe world but im trying,getting my confidence up for drops and jumps,not mega high,on the rockier stuff its just a case of hold on and hope i get to the bottom in one piece haha
    im prob 70ish kg full battle gear and not sure of psi,the bike has been the way it is since the shop gave me it,as suggested to me,i need a tyre pressure gauge,have a track pump but its on from lidl....it works but not an accurate reading....
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You need to try it out really.

Get an accurate gauge and you'll prob be in the region of 18 - 28. But it is a trade off between traction, rolling resistance and pinch flats/burping
  • hainman
    tyres felt pretty hard so reckon its higher but not 100% sure,might jump down to halfords tomorrow and buy a gauge
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie