Juicys. Bleed? Replace?

Yacoby
Yacoby Posts: 211
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have some old juicys that I have put on a new build. The down side is that they have a lot of free moment before you start to feel the brake engage. (Like half the travel of the leaver)

Took it to a bike shop (exam time and I CBA with Dot 4/5/whatever) and they said
* They can bleed it
* They can't guarantee it will be any better
* For the most part they take Juicys off and put them in the bin :lol:

Adding new pads in the rear brake seems to have fixed the issue for the rear brake at least. (Not actually ridden it properly yet though)

The primary purpose of this build was to do the Alps, DH and Enduro stuff.

So I have several options:
* Don't bother bleeding, ride it for a bit and see if it is an issue. The downside is that I am out in France for two weeks and don't want to find I have a problem there.
* Bleed it now.
* Buy a set of XTs/SLX brakes and use the Avids as spares.

While the latter would be ideal, it is a lot of money so I am not keen on it for that reason. So is it worth me asking the shop to bleed the brakes (or at least the front)? In other words, how likely is it that it will fix the issue?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you do an analysis of what is happening it's not hard to work out whether the poor braking is
    1/ Pads need advancing (long lever travel, you can see the pads moving)
    2/ Needs a blled (long lever travel, can't see pads moving)
    3/ Contaminated needs new pads.

Why people get brakes bled before seeing if they need it is beyond me, they rarely do, assuming they were OK to start with where/how did the air get in and the fluid out?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yacoby
    If you do an analysis of what is happening it's not hard to work out whether the poor braking is
    1/ Pads need advancing (long lever travel, you can see the pads moving)
    2/ Needs a blled (long lever travel, can't see pads moving)
    3/ Contaminated needs new pads.
    Sweet. From what I can see they probably just needs advancing then.

Why people get brakes bled before seeing if they need it is beyond me, they rarely do, assuming they were OK to start with where/how did the air get in and the fluid out?
    Because I didn't know about pads needing to be advanced?

Anyway. Cheers.
  • The Rookie
    Seems everyone knows about bleeding, very few about advancing, money for old rope for unscrupulous shops!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yacoby
    edited May 2013
    Ok, so advancing the pads didn't work, and looking again there is no movement for a lot of the travel.

Damn.
  • CUBEical
    CUBEical Posts: 211
    bleed them . I just bruaght a second hand bike and i am bleeding them so I know there done and out of the way. I never knew about advancing though will look it up
    I am sorry if I talk to much s@#t it goes with the name.............
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Bleeding used to sort this issue out for me, but replace it with another issue which is you cant change the pads because the pistons won't retract.
  • The Rookie
    That's called overfilling, if you bleed with the bleedblocks in place you can't overfill.
  • bennett_346
    Yeah, but they always felt crap when i did it with the bleed block.
  • steviecapt
    steviecapt Posts: 70
    i always bleed my elixirs with the new pads already in ,saves time and theres no chance of not being able to fit the pads in afterwards, just make sure you dont spill the brake fluid on the new pads, never done that myself yet but theres always the first time lol, especially when in a rush in a pub car park
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    just put deores on.sorted.

you dont need to go to the exspense of xts to improve on avids.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Yacoby
    edited May 2013
    steviecapt wrote:
    i always bleed my elixirs with the new pads already in ,saves time and theres no chance of not being able to fit the pads in afterwards, just make sure you dont spill the brake fluid on the new pads, never done that myself yet but theres always the first time lol, especially when in a rush in a pub car park
    Although needing to take fluid out when you want to change the pads sounds ideal...

(Sarcasm :wink: )
    mattshrops wrote:
    just put deores on.sorted.

But XTs are shiny

It is £4 worth of DOT fluid to try bleeding them. I have other things I would prefer to spend money on before brakes. (Like a chainguide that fits the 32 tooth chainring I am running) In any case looking at things I would probably get the SLX for the new calliper design.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If the job's done properly, you should never need to let fluid out, and if you are bleeding brakes more often than every few years at a minimum, they either don't need it or you are misdiagnosing a problem. Point of fact they should never really need bleeding, but a fluid change every few years can't do any harm.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yacoby
    cooldad wrote:
    If the job's done properly, you should never need to let fluid out, and if you are bleeding brakes more often than every few years at a minimum, they either don't need it or you are misdiagnosing a problem.
    These brakes are old... Like 4 - 5 years at least. So it is worth a try.
  • The Rookie
    Probably bcause you didn't then advance the pads......
  • levolon
    levolon Posts: 78
    if the brakes are 5yr old and not serviced id simply strip clean and fit new seals and refill with new fluid..

the seal is what pulls the piston and pad back off the disc and the need to "advance the pads is a myth btw" wont be necessary as the system simply sorts that itself (ie when new pads fitted to the car or motorcycle , do you have to do this ?? no course you dont as the pistons simply take up slack as pads wear and why you have a fluid reservoir so fluid can allow this ..

hydraulic systems work best when clean and correctly filled ..
    pasds work best when clean and correctly bedded in .. also maybe a sintered pad for an alp trip as better heat dispersal

if you had cable brakes its a different matter of course as they do need the pads advancing via cable adjustment and caliper setting ...
    hth
  • The Rookie
    If the need to advance the pads is a myth, why is it in the SRAM documentation?
  • levolon
    If the need to advance the pads is a myth, why is it in the SRAM documentation?

so what your saying is pull lever a few times so pads close up and then try and force caliper onto disc?

the system does this for you and why the need to self adjust isn't necessary

can you imaging the claims if people had accidents because the hadn't advanced their pads???

ill leave you to it bud
  • bennett_346
    You seem obsessed with this method. Have you not yet understood that it does not work for some people's brakes?

I must of tried it a hundred times to no avail. They're just shyte brakes, simply put.
  • levolon
    You seem obsessed with this method. Have you not yet understood that it does not work for some people's brakes?

I must have tried it a hundred times to no avail. They're just shyte brakes, simply put.

difficult to argue with that statement :wink:

i put shimano deores on all my bikes from Merlin cycles "what a bargain" http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... -rear.html
    there just great after avids hayes tecktro etc brakes that were oe fitment on the bikes i have
    i cant afford hopes or XT range etc but then i dont go down Alp runs so not needed :)
  • Yacoby
    Yep. I know they are fairly crap brakes. The donwside is that if I went down that route I would start saying like "The totems stansions are scratched, maybe I should get some new forks" etc etc etc. I may as well try to get them working to my satisfaction for £5 of DOT fluid before forking out £100 for some SLX from Rose.

Quick question, how much would I need for two brakes? Is 125ml (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29900) Ok or should I head out to a car place and buy a bigger bottle. Apparently it absorbs water fairly rapidly so isn't worth buying in bulk. (I know all DOT5.1 is the same. But CRC offer free shipping and if I am not going to use more than 125ml there is no point buying a bigger more costly (but better value) bottle)
  • levolon
    Yacoby wrote:
    Yep. I know they are fairly crap brakes. The donwside is that if I went down that route I would start saying like "The totems stansions are scratched, maybe I should get some new forks" etc etc etc. I may as well try to get them working to my satisfaction for £5 of DOT fluid before forking out £100 for some SLX from Rose.

Quick question, how much would I need for two brakes? Is 125ml (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29900) Ok or should I head out to a car place and buy a bigger bottle. Apparently it absorbs water fairly rapidly so isn't worth buying in bulk. (I know all DOT5.1 is the same. But CRC offer free shipping and if I am not going to use more than 125ml there is no point buying a bigger more costly (but better value) bottle)

that's fine or simply get a bottle of halfords brake fluid 5.1 etc
    do both the pistons push in easily ? as i do think you may have sticky pistons...
  • Yacoby
    do both the pistons push in easily ? as i do think you may have sticky pistons...
    No idea. Or rather I have no idea how easy it is to do normally.

I'll see how bleeding goes. If they are still crap I can't really be arsed throwing good money after bad tbh and I would just use them as is till I could afford some SLXs.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Might be a silly question - do you have the syringes etc for bleeding? If not then you will need more than just the DOT fluid.
  • Yacoby
    apreading wrote:
    Might be a silly question - do you have the syringes etc for bleeding? If not then you will need more than just the DOT fluid.
    Yeah, borrowed the bleed kit off a friend.
  • The Rookie

I must have tried it a hundred times to no avail. They're just shyte brakes, simply put.
    It does not work on all, no and yes I have changed to XT's and they are much better, but it's stupid to condemn them without trying it isn't it? 5 mins and no cost to see if it fixes it sounds like a no brainer......argh I see the irony in that.....

Yours may have been shite as you didn't follow instructions on how to maintain them.....
  • bennett_346
    edited May 2013
    I never condemned them once. I told him how i solved the situation when the pad advancing didn't work then said they were a bit crap. I never actually suggested he buy new brakes.

Also, instructions on how to maintain them? Please elaborate.
  • The Rookie
    Like using the bleed blocks, if you don't attempt to maintain as the manufatucrer suggests you'll never know if the item is shite or the maintenance.
  • bennett_346
    If i didn't use the brake blocks first how would i have known it didn't work right on my pair?

Your comprehension skills are diabolical mate.
  • The Rookie
    EXACTLY, at no point did you mention you used them, my comprehension is better than your expression innit!
  • levolon
    not to interfere with the above arguments .....

Yacoby
    Problem i think you MAY have with your brakes is that some corrosion or dirt has made the seals tight? plus you may have shitty pads that are contaminated??
    often the cause after long periods of no use or riding in winter etc dreaded salt on roads :(
    what often happens is the seal grove in the caliper half's gets dirty and this simply pushes the seal out so it doesn't allow the pistons to retract properly and this gives a poor brake lever and draggy brakes .
    so a full strip and thorough clean will solve all piston issues unless the pistons are damaged "you would get leakage if there fubared"
    so if you can do a strip and service then a bleed you will have decent brakes again assuming pads are also clean and not oily?
    if you do this use new brake fluid on assembly or a red rubber grease on seals and pistons as this will aid insertion + seals must not get contaminated with dirt or petroleum based oils etc
    if you are ok with trying this procedure you will have good brakes again But if you are in any doubt or dont have the tools etc try the lbs as its a simple job for those who do it regularly ..
    there are some guids on the net ie you tube so have a good look before attemting so you know what to expect.
    if the seals are ok it will be a bottle of fluid and jobs a good un :wink:
    hth