well you know how FATBIKES dont need suspension?

nicklouse
nicklouse Posts: 50,675
edited May 2013 in MTB general
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    There will be fatbikes 29er's before long
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    'Mericans are funny.
    But surely to be a proper Zeppelin they should use hydrogen in the tyres, and damn the torpedoes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    That must be a sod to pedal.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    This is far cooler

s780_WHAT_THE_Santa_Cruz_V10_Fat_Bike.jpg?1346253540
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Are they actually selling those, i thought it was a one off type of thing.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    All of them seem to be custom builds so far, but Salsa have been playing with a prototype FS fatty for ages so a production model can't be far off (assuming they can see money in it).
  • nicklouse
    njee20 wrote:
    This is far cooler

s780_WHAT_THE_Santa_Cruz_V10_Fat_Bike.jpg?1346253540
    mmm i have a spare set of them forks and a spare frame i could get a new swing arm made up....

nooooooo what am i thinking.

ring ring can i have a pair of rims and tyres please.

oh shhiiiit
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    Well i can't see the point in one of these ;
    s780whatthesantacruzv10.jpg
    Unless your planning on racing over really steep rocky terrain over a very long distance but their again it's amazing what people will believe they need just because they don't own one :shock: :lol: ..
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • cyd190468 wrote:
    If you want to ride motocross just go and do it. I also think that when I see guys plummet down the hill and then get off and push back up. If you're not going to ride up the hill you may as well fit a motor.
    Never heard of downhill bikes then?

Sod riding a 40lb full bouncer with single ring a close range cassette back up a hill. I'd rather get on the bus.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sliding pillar suspension - hope it works better than it did on Morgans!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412

Sliding pillar? They're USD forks with a shroud over the stanchions (first time I've ever seen USD forks on pushbikes though).
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774

Sliding pillar? They're USD forks with a shroud over the stanchions (first time I've ever seen USD forks on pushbikes though).

There have been loads of USD mountain bike forks, they just never really caught on. Maybe something to do with oil spilling over your discs when the dust seals pop out of the uppers or stanchions getting damaged too easily.
  • nicklouse

Where have you been hiding the lat 20 odd years?
  • Kowalski675
    nicklouse wrote:

Where have you been hiding the lat 20 odd years?

I'm new to MTBs, lol. I'm well used to USD forks on motorcycles (even own a couple of sets), but I'd never seen a motorcycle style USD fork / yoke setup on an MTB before.
  • Kowalski675

There have been loads of USD mountain bike forks, they just never really caught on. Maybe something to do with oil spilling over your discs when the dust seals pop out of the uppers or stanchions getting damaged too easily.

In the motorcycle world, USD forks originated in motocross, where their superior rigidity was worth their weight penalty, given the length of motocross forks, and the extreme uses they get put to (they're ubiquitous in the roadbike world now too, but that came about mainly due to fashion - Tadao Baba resisted the trend for a long time with his Fireblade designs, preferring to use a lighter RWU fork while all around were turning to USDs). I'd imagine that, in MTB use, the extra rigidity doesn't justify the weight penalty, and that would maybe be the reason they didn't take off?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Must admit I've never felt the need to adjust the tyre pressures during a ride :lol:

http://www.devisecycles.com/#!about/ckpe
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Marzocchi were trying to release an ultra lightweight USD fork in the late 90s - the RAC. It eventually came to market in a more burly 'freeride' guise, but they never succeeded in making it silly light! Plenty of dual crown DH USD forks.
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    There was a bloke at Antur Stiniog on a Fatbike (rigid) this weekend, what a mentalist! The tyres were too fat to fit on the uplift trailer so he had to stick it in the van, glad he wasn't on any of my lifts :p
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    In the motorcycle world, USD forks originated in motocross, where their superior rigidity was worth their weight penalty, given the length of motocross forks, and the extreme uses they get put to (they're ubiquitous in the roadbike world now too, but that came about mainly due to fashion?
    USDs reduce unsprung weight - critical for the handling of performance road bikes.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Kowalski675
    Daz555 wrote:
    USDs reduce unsprung weight

That's debatable - the knuckle and steel stanchion weigh more than the ally fork tube. USDs rise to ubiquity was down to fashion and marketing, more than any other reason.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323

I think he was referring to the arse-end of the Devise, not the front.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Kowalski675
    Clank wrote:

I think he was referring to the arse-end of the Devise, not the front.

Ah, I see. Just looked at it again, that rear does look strange indeed. What's the bottle on the downtube? Has it got nitrous, lol? :lol:
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Ah, I see. Just looked at it again, that rear does look strange indeed. What's the bottle on the downtube? Has it got nitrous, lol? :lol:

Centralised tyre inflation system, apparently!

Seriously!

So, yeah, you could fill it with nitrous. Be about the only laugh you'll get riding something that bloody heavy! :lol:

I search and I find a number of full-suss fat bikes have been tried - some of which are actually available (the Salsa one looks the best thought out)- all using conventional style rear ends, so I'm not sure what Devise were trying to achieve. .......Apart from making something that looks different for the sake of it.... and will be a little bit s**t! :lol:
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Kowalski675
    Clank wrote:

Seriously!

I use a footpump, much cheaper and simpler, lol.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Clank wrote:

Seriously!

I use a footpump, much cheaper and simpler, lol.
    Not while you're riding you don't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    No, I got one of these for a tenner for that:

0007789_blackburn_mountain_air_anyvalve_pump_0.jpeg
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    good luck using it while pedaling
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Kowalski675
    I'm not racing, I think I can afford to stop for a couple of minutes (and frequently need to anyway, lol).
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Facepalm?
  • Kowalski675
    Say what? :?: