Cycling sunglasses

2»

Comments

• leythervegas
    leythervegas Posts: 191
    When you can get a free pair off the Maui Jim sales rep you can't argue though!

Seriously though when you compare them side by side with a cheap pair the difference in vision is massive. We have a polarised demonstrator on the wall in the practice and it shows the benefits of decent polarised lenses over tinted bits of plastic for £20. Also you can get a decent pair of Maui Jim sport for little over £100, not too bad really. (I'm beginning to sound like the sales rep now - ill shut up)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    True, but I wouldn't wear £200 Oakleys riding off road, sooner or later they'd get trashed (I took my helmet off the other day, forgetting I was wearing sunglasses and the glasses fell off onto rock - I would've been mighty annoyed if they'd cost me a three figure price tag.

I'd be more annoyed if I dropped my Oakleys and they broke, I have 3 pairs I regularly swap between for riding and they've all been tough as boots.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    benefits of decent polarised lenses over tinted bits of plastic for £20

But decent ones are available for that price - or even less. Some are not good, it is simply finding the good ones that do exist.

But I certainly agree about likening them to watches, as mentioned above.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Ive had Oakleys, Endura, DHB .... my favourites are actually some I got from Decathlon after I scratched my last set up quite badly. £8 (down from £20). 4 good lens tints, nice fit, very little distortion, cant go wrong.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    njee20 wrote:
    True, but I wouldn't wear £200 Oakleys riding off road, sooner or later they'd get trashed (I took my helmet off the other day, forgetting I was wearing sunglasses and the glasses fell off onto rock - I would've been mighty annoyed if they'd cost me a three figure price tag.

I'd be more annoyed if I dropped my Oakleys and they broke, I have 3 pairs I regularly swap between for riding and they've all been tough as boots.

They didn't break, just scratched the frame slightly. Luckily they didn't land on the lenses.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Broken so many sunglasses over the years that I now stick to safety glasses from the likes of Bolle etc.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Wily-Quixote
    Wily-Quixote Posts: 269
    Irrespective of the quality of sunnies that I buy sweat and dirt renders them all equal after half an hour of riding
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    So, after all your advice I can provide some kind of update.

As many of you have said you worked in optics, fortunately for me, my dad happens to be an optician with his own business, and so I could go in and have a look on my day off.

So, went in today and asked the dispenser what he recommended. The main supply line we had for sports glasses was a company called Leader, not heard of them, but a few quick Google searches provides pretty decent reviews.

So Look at what I want, and find a decent frame, but nothing with mirrored iridium lenses, which is my preference, which was somewhat annoying.
    So, then called the folks who do lense glazing to see what they can do, now getting the following Leader Journey glasses and have the lenses done in mirrored iridium, should all be well I hope :)

glassesjp.jpg