Cycling sunglasses

JMcP92
JMcP92 Posts: 339
edited May 2013 in MTB general
Hey folks,

Just a general question, what sunglasses does everyone use?
I have a pair of Ray Bans I use for everything, but in bright sun (such as I found yesterday) on singletrack, the shading by rocks and such just becomes black and makes the trail very unnerving as you're not sure what is where.
I use some Iridium lensed goggles for MX that seem to get round this problem, which could work, but anyone recommend brands etc.

John

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I like Oakleys, Radars and Jawbones. Got some photochromic lenses for the latter which are very good in dull conditions, must say if it's sunny I don't really have any problems with a Jade Iridium lense.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Endura Mullets

Mildy photochromic the lenses go from pale grey to medium grey. Too dark to use at night but great in a wide range of daylight conditions especially in the woods on bright days. Optical clarity is a notch below Oakleys but loads better than safety specs and those 10 Euro Fakelys you got on holiday in Turkey. Frames are solid with metal hinges and non-slip ear socks and nose bridge. The only possible negative is that they are pretty big and might not be suitable if you have a small face.
  • p44cmb
    p44cmb Posts: 124
    Out of all the glasses I have bought, the ones that I rate and use the most are a pair of Bolle Safety specs from Screwfix.

Cheap as chips so you don't need to worry if they get scratched or broken, don't look too bad and they are also slightly tinted. i've also got a clear pair that I use for night trail riding.

Tinted = http://www.screwfix.com/p/bolle-clear-l ... pecs/95382

Clear = http://www.screwfix.com/p/bolle-silium- ... 1526880530
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    For MTB always ten to use clear and tinted for Road as trails tend to go dark then light all to often and as you say can almost seem black at times.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    Aldi Had Some Jokleys . . . . Really Good For £2.99 Bought 5 Pairs :}
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    +1 for Oakley Jawbones. Also - looking into (pun intended) a pair of Julbo Zebra Dirt for this season
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Jgb1
    Jgb1 Posts: 50
    I use oakley radarlock photochromic. There expensive but crystal clear and I dont have to mess with lenses as they darken off in bright sun and clear in the shade.

Cheapies seem to make every thing look big big as well. I had one pair that made me feel 10' in the air when riding :lol:
  • Vegman
    Vegman Posts: 35
    + 1 for the Bolle's. I got mine from our indusrial supplies co when I went to get some cleaning stuff, I paid less than a fiver a pair. Clear for when its not shining, tints for when it might. I had previosly spent shed loads on Bolle's as ski glasses **ck knows why... optically these seem just as good. Only slight downside is that after a couple of years the metal rimmed ones (clear) I think, are showing signs of a little corrosion due to sweat....must get fitter to sweat less.
    A bike..in my garage.....I MUST tinker.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    JMcP92 wrote:
    ?
    I have a pair of Ray Bans I use for everything, but in bright sun (such as I found yesterday) on singletrack, the shading by rocks and such just becomes black and makes the trail very unnerving as you're not sure what is where.

Rayban may have changed since I worked in optics (it's been a long time), but they used to almost all have glass lenses (mine all are), which really isn't a good idea for activities like mountainbiking - ideally you want polycarbonate (virtually shatter proof, although easier to scratch).
  • houston26
    houston26 Posts: 115
    Look at sunwise glasses. Cheap and do the job. Don't be fooled into thinking if you buy oakleys and such that your getting better lenses! If they were prescription then fair enough, but otherwise a rip off
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Jgb1 wrote:
    I use oakley radarlock photochromic. There expensive but crystal clear and I dont have to mess with lenses as they darken off in bright sun and clear in the shade.

Cheapies seem to make every thing look big big as well. I had one pair that made me feel 10' in the air when riding :lol:

Got these myself - Xmas pressie. A bit pricey, even after shopping around, but worth it. Much better than the photochromic Enduras I had. A much wider range and the Oakleys you can wear in twilight conditions.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    There are a couple of Oakley photochromic lenses. I've got the Clear Black Iridium and have no problems wearing them at night.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    p44cmb wrote:
    Out of all the glasses I have bought, the ones that I rate and use the most are a pair of Bolle Safety specs from Screwfix.

Cheap as chips so you don't need to worry if they get scratched or broken, don't look too bad and they are also slightly tinted. i've also got a clear pair that I use for night trail riding.

I used the Bolle safety glasses for a while but the optics are absolutely terrible.

I have some Oakley bottle tops (think that's what they're called) with pink'ish lenses which are great in dull conditions, but they aren't big enough and you do get crap coming in under the lenses.

Recently bought some Jawbones, good deal from the Oakley outlet (Southampton), £129 down from £189, case, 2 sets of lenses & soft pouch. Very pleased with them so far.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • apple eater
    apple eater Posts: 302
    wmorgs wrote:
    Aldi Had Some Jokleys . . . . Really Good For £2.99 Bought 5 Pairs :}

I think the one's i bought are Crane. They have three different shades of lenses smoked - yellow- clear. So far they have been great and they were just a couple of pounds
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    I use Madison D'Arcs
    have done for over 15 years
    there good allrounders and come with interchangeable lens
    im only on my second set as i broke the arm off the frame about 6 months ago
    i contacted madison and they sent me a whole new D'Arcs quad glasses set foc
    now thats service you cant ever fault :)
  • felix.london
    p44cmb wrote:

Might be fine for the UK but I'd be careful if you head somewhere sunnier. Over here proper shades with decent lenses are a must
    houston26 wrote:
    Don't be fooled into thinking if you buy oakleys and such that your getting better lenses! If they were prescription then fair enough, but otherwise a rip off

Not in my experience. The lenses in the cheap glasses I've tried are nowhere near as good as my Oakley lenses. Especially in the snow and also going from very bright sunshine to dark, shaded trails and back into the sun again

Trek Session 8
  • houston26 wrote:Don't be fooled into thinking if you buy oakleys and such that your getting better lenses! If they were prescription then fair enough, but otherwise a rip off

Not in my experience. The lenses in the cheap glasses I've tried are nowhere near as good as my Oakley lenses. Especially in the snow and also going from very bright sunshine to dark, shaded trails and back into the sun again

Agree with the above comment. I have 2 pairs of Oakley's. Straight Jacket which are prescription and a pair of Flak Jackets that have interchangeable lenses. The Oakley lenses are far superior and although they are more expensive, you certainly get what you pay for.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some of the ultra cheap ones have poor lenses. But from about a tenner upwards there are some very good ones, that meet a lot of safety standards. You pay more for photochromic lenses though.

I have Red Frog glasses - they do a large range, many that use optical quality, shatterproof polycarbonate lenses, that meet the EU standards and UV400. 10 quid, nothing I have seen works any better for non photochromic.
  • felix.london
    supersonic wrote:
    Some of the ultra cheap ones have poor lenses. But from about a tenner upwards there are some very good ones, that meet a lot of safety standards. You pay more for photochromic lenses though.

I have Red Frog glasses - they do a large range, many that use optical quality, shatterproof polycarbonate lenses, that meet the EU standards and UV400. 10 quid, nothing I have seen works any better for non photochromic.

Any particular model Sonic? Looking for a cheap set to use as a spare to keep in the Camelbak.

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    supersonic wrote:

Any particular model Sonic? Looking for a cheap set to use as a spare to keep in the Camelbak.

Hold on...think I've found them...must be the Biker Radar ones surely!?

http://www.redfrogstore.co.uk/biker-radar-choice-of-8-colours-1034-p.asp

Trek Session 8
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    For "good" glasses Bloc are my first choice for fit. Having a large, high bridge of a nose getting something that fits is a first priority :roll:
    My latest find for "cheap" glasses are Tesco F&F ones, polarised for £10. I prefer full framed glasses having seen the damage frameless ones can do in the event of an accident.

Those Froggies look interesting :D
  • leythervegas
    leythervegas Posts: 191
    http://www.mauijim.com/hot-sands.html

If you can stretch to a pair of these they are well worth it. I work in an opticians and trust me, they are the best lenses available. The clarity is unbelievable. I've also got a pair of standard transitions in an old smith optics frame for when it's gloomy/going dark. (Always get original transitions not the specsavers copies as they are truly shite.)
  • Kowalski675

I used to work in an opticians too, that's where my sunglasses fetish began ,lol.
  • leythervegas
    leythervegas Posts: 191
    You'll be the same as me then pal, all these 2.99 Oakley copies just won't do. We can tell the difference between tat and the real deal.
  • botch
    botch Posts: 15
    I recently bought a pair of Sunwise Equinox glasses a few weeks back (http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Sunwise-Equinox-Sunglasses-With-4-Interchangeable-Lenses_36335.htm - the indigo frame version). Previous to this I'd just been wearing normal sunglasses, or occasionally just glasses when I didn't have contacts in.

These are the first set of cycling glasses I've owned and didn't want to spend much as I just wanted to try some and get a feel for them. Having spend the last bank holiday weekend blasting around the trail centres in North Wales I've been impressed with them. The only slight issues were that they steamed up a couple of times (but only when stopped and moving them a fraction down the nose immediately solved it), and they don't come with a hard case.

I'm sure they won't be as good as some of the more expensive sets but for a basic set I'm happy with them and will likely stick with them for a while.
  • Kowalski675
    You'll be the same as me then pal, all these 2.99 Oakley copies just won't do. We can tell the difference between tat and the real deal.

True, but I wouldn't wear £200 Oakleys riding off road, sooner or later they'd get trashed (I took my helmet off the other day, forgetting I was wearing sunglasses and the glasses fell off onto rock - I would've been mighty annoyed if they'd cost me a three figure price tag. There is a happy medium between cheap shite and spending a fortune.
  • felix.london
    ...but you'll happily chuck a £2K bike down a mountain :wink: Any performance kit is expensive. If I get 4 or 5 seasons out of a set of goggles or glasses (snowboarding or biking) I think it's money well spent.

You can send Oakley stuff back to them and they will 're-fresh' them for you - new lenses and various bits and pieces - they come back like a new pair - there's a charge but cheaper than buying new

Tried on a pair of Julbo Zebra Dirt yesterday - very nice fit and very nice chromatic lenses...stuck them on the never ending shopping list...

and btw - performance Oakley's can take a serious beating..they're designed for abuse

Trek Session 8
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I'm afraid i'm still on high performance £8.99 safety goggles.
  • Kowalski675
    ...but you'll happily chuck a £2K bike down a mountain :wink: Any performance kit is expensive.

My bike cost me a tenth of that, and if I tried to chuck even a £2k suspension bike down a moountain I'd be broken long before anything on the bike was, lol. I know Oakleys are quality kit (as I said, dispensing optics - including prescription Oakleys - used to be my job), I'm just saying that you don't need to spend that kind of money to get something that's good enough and safe enough for most people's requirements. I know that performance kit is expensive in any field - for example my favourite of my Arai helmets has a retail price tag of £500, I have gloves with RRPs of up to £170, boots up to £330 or an £800 shock absorber and I'm a firm believer that the old adage "buy cheap, buy twice" usually holds true, but you don't always need to have the very best gear, and for a beginner like me £200 for sunglasses (when I paid £220 for my bike) would be somewhat excessive, when a £20 pair will adequately protect my eyes (from UV and foreign objects) and are a lot cheaper to replace if lost or broken.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    I think the quality vs price argument runs out pretty quickly with sunglasses. The only real reason (IMO) for buying a pair of Oakleys or similar, over a cheaper model, is: you can afford them. And why not?

Most people wouldn't argue that a £2k bike is massively better than a £300 bike. But is a £20 pair of glasses going to be massively beaten by a £160 pair of Oakleys or a £400 pair of Maui Jims?

A cousin of has a pair of Maui Jims and TBH I just couldn't see where the money was being spent, either in the build or the lenses... again just my opinion.

But I wouldn't knock anyone for buying a pair. It's like pricey watches vs a cheap (but decent) Casio. They both tell the time equally well. Both will last well and do the job intended. But people buy a watch for more reasons than telling the time.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk