Disc brakes on road bikes.

2»

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Oh lord, really? Still this?

The point of discs is the modulation and control, not the overall power. Finally, can we kill that argument now?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    ddraver wrote:
    Oh lord, really? Still this?

The point of discs is the modulation and control, not the overall power. Finally, can we kill that argument now?

How do disks give you better modulation and control? (I have both types of bike, by the way).
  • ddraver
    Physics of it? No idea, ask an engineer. If you have both types, then you ll know that they do
    - @ddraver
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    ddraver wrote:
    Physics of it? No idea, ask an engineer. If you have both types, then you ll know that they do

that's just it though - they don't.
  • ddraver
    Well mine and every other review of disks do...but whatever, I'm not going to argue with you about it....
    - @ddraver
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I have one!! one of those colnago ones.

"one of those colnago ones". There's a man who knows his bikes. :roll:
  • dodgy
    Do people still upend their bikes to refit wheels? Isn't that something kids do with their BMXs?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    ddraver wrote:
    Well mine and every other review of disks do...but whatever, I'm not going to argue with you about it....
    I agree with you ddraver, they do, just not sure exactly why. There was some reference to it here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/groupset/road/product/review-sram-red-22-with-hydro-r-disc-calipers-47179
    As said above, it's not about overall stopping power (although several times in the wet going downhill I've been damn glad of disc brakes on my commuter).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    If your argument is that disc brakes offer better modulation than rim brakes -on a road bike- you've been reading too many press releases. Or are disabled. As to Colnago, does Ernesto really know his bikes - his steel frames were (are) reputed by a few who don't buy into the mumbo jumbo (their words, not mine; I don't know) to be not so well made (compared with bespoke builders outside Italy, who were (are) usually less expensive)? The prestige Italian brands certainly know how to make money, and have realized how gullible cyclist are for a long, long time. I suspect the implications of my last sentence have the biggest impact on the success of any "innovations" that may come along.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If you're a heavy rider, then with calipers you can certainly get well on the front brake without going over the bars. I can, anyway; as long as I hang my 'arris out over the rear wheel I can squeeze the front pretty much as hard as I can without going over the top.

That's not true of my V-brake equipped touring bike, mind. I have to load the back right up to hit the limit of the front brake.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ddraver
    pliptrot wrote:
    If your argument is that disc brakes offer better modulation than rim brakes -on a road bike- you've been reading too many press releases. Or are disabled. As to Colnago, does Ernesto really know his bikes - his steel frames were (are) reputed by a few who don't buy into the mumbo jumbo (their words, not mine; I don't know) to be not so well made (compared with bespoke builders outside Italy, who were (are) usually less expensive)? The prestige Italian brands certainly know how to make money, and have realized how gullible cyclist are for a long, long time. I suspect the implications of my last sentence have the biggest impact on the success of any "innovations" that may come along.

Nope, what has the biggest impact is what the winner of the Tour rides. Everything else has so little impact as to be irrelevant
    - @ddraver
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    dodgy wrote:
    Do people still upend their bikes to refit wheels? Isn't that something kids do with their BMXs?

If you do that with the new hydraulic SRAM disks you'll be resting it on the master cylinders of the aforesaid hydraulics - which I'm pretty sure is a level of abuse they'll warn you about in the owners' manual
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • ddraver
    Hmmm, well I ve done it a number of times with the MTB when it's had something more severe happen and the brakes have never had a problem. Think you re searching for problems that arent there Giraffoto

While the UCI keep saying no ( http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ure-37259/ ) then we ll keep waiting
    - @ddraver
  • Stevo_666
    pliptrot wrote:
    The stuff on the web just backs up my own experiences and I'm not disabled.

I don't see the gullible argument - unless you count nearly all MTB'ers, motorcyclists and car drivers as 'gullible'. Road bikes are the exception. Lets see how this pans out shall we...

As DDraver says, once people start winning bigraces on these things (once the UCI relents), it will spread quickly.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I went out on my bike over the weekend.

It only has Shimano Tiagra brake callipers.

The bike stopped when I wanted it to stop.

The only difference disc brakes would have made, is my wallet would have been lighter and the bike shop would be laughing all the way to the bank.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • dodgy
    Cycling has always been well populated by flat-earthers.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    ben@31 wrote:

The only difference disc brakes would have made, is my wallet would have been lighter and the bike shop would be laughing all the way to the bank.

Do you find yourself compelled to buy something just because its out there? Just because you don't feel you need it yourself doesn't mean it should be dismissed altogether. Disc brakes offer more control over braking. It's not just about power. I would think that as far as money is concerned it would be cheaper to buy disc brakes once as opposed to replacing worn out rims frequently. And knowing that when pads need replacing its only the brakes that you need to worry about. No catastrophic rim failure deciding it. No debris sitting under pads scoring deep chunks out of the braking surface . No huge reduction in braking power in wet conditions.
  • dodgy
    ben@31 wrote:

Do you find yourself compelled to buy something just because its out there? Just because you don't feel you need it yourself doesn't mean it should be dismissed altogether. Disc brakes offer more control over braking. It's not just about power. I would think that as far as money is concerned it would be cheaper to buy disc brakes once as opposed to replacing worn out rims frequently. And knowing that when pads need replacing its only the brakes that you need to worry about. No catastrophic rim failure deciding it. No debris sitting under pads scoring deep chunks out of the braking surface . No huge reduction in braking power in wet conditions.

+1

If you ride through the winter, then rim wear is a big expense factor. Plus repairing punctures with the grey slime from the rim/pads is not pleasant to deal with.

I think a lot of the time, anti Disk Brake (or anti any cycling technology advances) types haven't considered any use cases other than their own.

Beards.
  • Stevo_666
    dodgy wrote:
    Cycling has always been well populated by flat-earthers.
    dodgy wrote:
    Beards.
    So we've established that people who are against disc brakes on road bikes are beardy flat-earthers. Sounds about right :D
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Saw disc brakes on a Specialized in my LBS t'other day, I blinked many times... I read that it was coming in CW but my head found it difficult to process, would love to try it to see what it's like.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    ddraver wrote:
    Hmmm, well I ve done it a number of times with the MTB when it's had something more severe happen and the brakes have never had a problem. Think you re searching for problems that arent there Giraffoto

Now I come to think of it, it's more likely to tear the rubber covers than damage anything hydraulic. I still bet the owners' manual will tell you not to though!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • ddraver
    Owners manuals say a lot of things! ;)

If I read the manual for my Formula brakes I'd never leave the house! :P
    - @ddraver
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    There's no place in this World for disc brakes.
    Who needs these downtube shifter things either? What's wrong with just changing the wheel around the other way to put your "uphill" gear into place? Next you'll be telling me people will want to put the shiftermethings on the handlebars too!