estampida Posts: 1,008
edited May 2013 in The cake stop
that won't be a problem

that is the point of race teams, they work out the best way of doing something

then the product of 2 years time will have that fix included.... for you to buy

Comments

• Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    This is coming, the momentum is gathering in a big way. Extra weight is no problem, modern top end bikes are so far below the UCI weight limit that the pros are putting chains down the seatpost. If you struggle to fit the rear wheel in you must be drunk (and a bike with hydraulic brakes should really not be upside down). You are wrong about the shims, disc brakes are self adjusting.
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    Of course with disc brakes we'll miss the early summer morning 'pop' 'pop' 'pop' of
    continental sportive riders descending steep mountain roads and bursting their tyres
    due to overheated rims. Not.

I would be interested to know how discs perform under such circumstances. Surely it must be an
    improvement.
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    ..to be replaced by their screams as they slide off over the edge of some Col or other on early morning dew :)

how about the "exciting" prospect as those that have std brakes crash into the back of those that have disc's ?

and the current frames cant run disk brakes, so im guessing it could be a long time before it reaches amateur riders?
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    For decades they cycled without disc brakes and it wasn't a problem.

Are disc brakes just another new fad to get even more money out of consumers? Aka "You must buy this as you don't have one". Just like changing the paintwork on the frame every year.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • solosuperia
    solosuperia Posts: 333
    Although I concur with the statement "its just a fashion thing" about lots of things about modern cycling. I do believe disc brakes are an improvement.
    I used to get that feeling tanking down a steep hill "I'm not going to stop" with disk brakes don't get that feeling wet or dry. Worth any weight or whatever penalties, find changing a wheel less fuss, just seems to slot straight in.
    From some of the previous comments I kinda suspect the contributor has no real time experience of using disc brakes.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    ben@31 wrote:

Saying that bike brakes have been fault free for decades is, frankly, bollox.

Don't you remember steel rims? They certainly were a problem. Especially in the wet.

Now instead we have wheels with rims so soft you have to rebuild them every couple of years. That sounds like a pretty stupid problem to me.

My next touring frame will have disc bosses on it.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    DesWeller wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:

Saying that bike brakes have been fault free for decades is, frankly, bollox.

Don't you remember steel rims? They certainly were a problem. Especially in the wet.

Now instead we have wheels with rims so soft you have to rebuild them every couple of years. That sounds like a pretty stupid problem to me.

My next touring frame will have disc bosses on it.
    He didn't say they were fault free. He said bicycles had been using rim brakes for decades without there being a problem - the word problem being used in the broad sense in that this was not a big safety issue for the overwhelming majority of riders and that is true.

If you are buying rims so soft you need to rebuild your wheels that often perhaps you should shop around. I ride about 10,000 mikes a year using rim brakes and have no such problem at all.

That said, I am ntrigued by discs and wouldn't mind trying them on a tourer myself.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    The only problem for the peloton is the potential for disc burns in some of the big pile ups. Swapping wheels etc will be of little concern.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    They will probably be aimed more at the amateur roadie than the pro-peloton. You will get (potentially) better braking with wheel longevity. Yes if you take the wheel out it takes a few more seconds to fit a disc hub and a little more care.

The pro-peloton may go this way eventually. But does SurBrad care if he trashes several wheels, or bikes for that matter, every ride. Nope, because he ain't paying for them.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    ...lord, this again?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    ddraver wrote:
    ...lord, this again?
    Nobody made you click the link... :D
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Frankly, I can't wait.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • ddraver
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    ...lord, this again?
    Nobody made you click the link... :D

Hairy Muff....
    - @ddraver
  • I have one!! one of those colnago ones. quite simply it is superb!
    There will be lots of nay sayers and luddites, but try it. it is worth it!

Sniff
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I have one!! one of those colnago ones. quite simply it is superb!
    There will be lots of nay sayers and luddites, but try it. it is worth it!

Sniff

Can I try yours? :mrgreen:
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • goonz,

They have one at sigma!

I am sure it's closer for you. Besides, i am too busy polishing mine!
    Sniff
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    They will probably be aimed more at the amateur roadie than the pro-peloton. You will get (potentially) better braking with wheel longevity. Yes if you take the wheel out it takes a few more seconds to fit a disc hub and a little more care.

The pro-peloton may go this way eventually. But does SurBrad care if he trashes several wheels, or bikes for that matter, every ride. Nope, because he ain't paying for them.

This.
  • I would never go back to rims on a mountain bike, ever.

The road debate, however, annoys me a bit because there seems to be a bit of confusion between "good quality, properly bled, well maintained, disc brakes that are, for the time being at least, not rubbing" and straight up "disc brakes". IMHO, the two are very different animals, and whilst it's hard to knock the former on anything but price, the latter are not without their issues. Either way, I suspect the whole debate will get a lot more entertaining once manufacturers start turning out enough mid and lower price models for the road workshop forum to start picking up brake related posts of the sort found in the MTB workshop forum.
    Mangeur
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    One thing will drive the change above anything else in the cycling world - Safety.

Edit: Next thing to consider is, if you have better brakes, you can descend faster and more confidently knowing you can brake harder and later than your rivals. Especially in the wet. This could prove decisive in the mountainous stages of the grand tours.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Can't wait myself. Most of my riding is on hilly terrain and therefore riding downhill is a significant part of my riding.
    I consider myself a competent descender but anything that can improve safety in what is a risky process can only be a bonus in my mind.
  • thegreatdivide
    I've never once gone downhill and thought 'I wish I had disc brakes'.
  • ddraver
    That's because you ve never gone downhill with disk brakes
    - @ddraver
  • thegreatdivide
    ddraver wrote:

I've got them on my MTB. They both slow me down.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I've never once gone downhill and thought 'I wish I had disc brakes'.

If you are in a race and everyone has rim brakes, you are all on an even par. If a guy I was racing was able to descend faster than me and stop later fully knowing he is not going to cream in at the bottom where as I would have to start braking a lot earlier , the other guy has already gone. Cycling is a very competitive sport and people will use anything that gives them any sort of advantage. Look how many doping cases there are. It's all to do with trying to win, be faster, push harder.
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    cyd190468 wrote:
    This is coming, the momentum is gathering in a big way. Extra weight is no problem, modern top end bikes are so far below the UCI weight limit that the pros are putting chains down the seatpost. If you struggle to fit the rear wheel in you must be drunk (and a bike with hydraulic brakes should really not be upside down). You are wrong about the shims, disc brakes are self adjusting.
    So why do xc mountain bike racers spend time shimming the discs on their spare wheels so they don't rub? Oh and mtb hydraulics are designed so they can be inverted. if bled correctly there shouldn't be any air in the system.

Well in a race you obviously need to ensure that the rotor is going to be in the correct place to fit in between the pads so you don't have to mess with the caliper, but a bit of rub is not a problem, it won't slow you under working load and the noise will quickly go away as the pads resettle so .1mm is just silly. The more obvious solution is to use identical hubs.

As for the upside down thing I am well aware of the theory but I have worked on hundreds of mountain bikes where being turned upside down has had unpredictable effects on the brakes, and seen a couple where is has led to outright failure. But what do I know? My 20 odd years experience in the bike trade is clearly insignificant in the face of your superior wisdom.

15 years from now all road bikes will have disc brakes, this isn't because of any real or perceived advantage but because the trade is going to push it like hell so we all have to get new bikes, like threadless headsets, 700c wheels, 8 speed, 9speed, 10 speed, 11 speed, compact chainsets etc etc.
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

I've got them on my MTB. They both slow me down.

The two are not the same though are they - descending a road on an MTB feels totally different to a road bike...
    - @ddraver
  • bdu98252
    bdu98252 Posts: 171
    I have a boardman CX with mechanical disk brakes and a SRAM Apex group set. It is the best bike I have every used for day to day riding. It cannot compete with my Trek Madone 5.9 however for 50 mile plus sunday riding however this bike does cost a lot more and it is expensive to have to replace wheels because you have worn the rims out. It is not easy to cycle around Cumbria without using your brakes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    I reckon disc brakes will spead through road bike ranges gradually, it looks like quite a few people still need convincing. There are already a few decent offerings out there and the German direct sellers like Rose have started to get their teeth into disc braked roadies now, so things will start to pick up IMO.

It's not so much stopping power, it's the bad weather capability, fade resistance and ease of modulation - the only real argument against I can see is the weight. For most mere mortals the extra few hundered grammes shouldn't make any real difference. On racebikes I can see the point about the weight, but techological advances will bring that down and in the not too distant future we'll all be wondering why we used little blocks of rubber pressing against the wheel rim to stop a bike :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    Surely the limit here is the adhesion of the tyres? Campagnolo stopped making dual pivot rear calipers because a single pivot was enough - anything more would lock up the wheel. I suspect the additional power available from disc brakes cannot be used, which makes the whole thing a bit pointless. Modern (wire-on) rims from you-know-who are so hard as to be brittle, and premature failures are common. So, on that basis, discs may solve a problem that poor design and materials have caused.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    pliptrot wrote:
    Surely the limit here is the adhesion of the tyres? Campagnolo stopped making dual pivot rear calipers because a single pivot was enough - anything more would lock up the wheel. I suspect the additional power available from disc brakes cannot be used, which makes the whole thing a bit pointless. Modern (wire-on) rims from you-know-who are so hard as to be brittle, and premature failures are common. So, on that basis, discs may solve a problem that poor design and materials have caused.

As above. Grip is currently the main limiter in braking performance on a bicycle. Given that calipers can already lock up a wheel - even in the wet - then disks are an unnecessary complication. Probably still happen though...