What ecomonical little car I can fit a bike in the back....?

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited September 2013 in The hub
Hello :D

I am getting a bit fed up with my Mini Cooper S's thirst for petrol - I have a pretty hefty commute to work and am starting to wonder whether it's new car time :?

So, any suggestions for a VERY economical (probably diesel) little car that I can easily fit a bike in the back of? I don't mind putting seats down etc (as I do in the Mini) and my bikes are tiny, so there's quite lot of scope there! My budget would be about £4.5k, but i'm eager to keep costs down if possible!

To make it more tricky, it needs to be something vaguely smart as I use my car for work appointments, and I also REALLY enjoy driving so it needs to be a bit perky or fun in some way.

Any thoughts very welcome..... :D
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    it's no wonder you were having trouble finding a man to meet your exacting standards a while back, is it?
    If you're that demanding of a simple car, we just don't stand a chance....
  • adiggers
    adiggers Posts: 67
    nissan note or vauxaull meriva off the top of my head,both decent smallish cars.
    both well fit a bike rack,and both well take a mtb with with front wheel off,in the boot.
    bet you could get upto a 09 if shopped around for your budget.
  • Diesel VW Golf.

Bluemotion if you want super eco.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Skoda Fabia VRS 1.9 Tdi ?

760938.jpg
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Does it have to be small?

My spare jalopy that I use for carting bikes around is a diesel Mondeo - swallows any bike whole without taking wheels off or faffing around trying to manoeuvre the handlebars into the boot and plenty of room for all your other kit. Might even fit 2 bikes in if you meet the mythical Mr. Right :wink:

It's dead cheap to buy, run and maintain and not a bad drive for a boggo type hatchback (I was a petrol head in a former life :) ). If that's too big then a Ford Focus should do the trick.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    Get one of these :D
    photo1-3_zpsd6770bfe.jpg
    They do a 1.9tdi and i can get my bike in the back with the seats down and plenty of room up front
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    dacia sandero new for 5995... bargain.
  • miss notax
    jimothy78 wrote:
    it's no wonder you were having trouble finding a man to meet your exacting standards a while back, is it?

Ah, yes, my ongoing quest for man / car perfection :lol:

Thanks for all the ideas guys - need a good sift through Autotrader to see what's what! Just need to get the fuel costs down a bit - 35mpg wasn't so bad with a small commute but it's getting a bit pricey now!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I've emailed you.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    an economical car to get you to the woods...

seats that lay down flat....

something to have fun in...

be honest, this isn't a car for mountain biking now is it?
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    TBH I can fit a Heckler in the back of my Mrs' little Mazda 2, thats a 1.4 diesel and costs sod all to run.

High MPG, £30 for 12 months RFL.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    miss notax wrote:
    jimothy78 wrote:

Ah, yes, my ongoing quest for man / car perfection :lol:

Thanks for all the ideas guys - need a good sift through Autotrader to see what's what! Just need to get the fuel costs down a bit - 35mpg wasn't so bad with a small commute but it's getting a bit pricey now!

what about something like a panda? or is that too small?
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    1.6tdi ibiza great little cars and suprising large inside so comfortable and they go for miles!
  • MissCMC
    MissCMC Posts: 545
    I have a Yaris (I used to have a mini and got fed up of paying out for it) and it works fine for me. Plenty big enough with the seats down for a large bike, big enough for 5 (the mother required me to get a car I could fit all the siblings in when I changed cars)(at a squeeze) and, touch wood, it's always been reliable for me and good on fuel.
    Sarcasm: Because punching someone in the face is illegal.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    i can get my bike in the back of a micra. just.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Pretty much any super mini will take two bikes with the wheels off and back seats folded down. So just research super minis in general as the bikes are almost guaranteed to fit.

Go for something with fairly recent engine. I got my 08 Seat Ibiza just before Seat updated the engines and as a result my friend gets a few extra mpg than me. I get 37-42 mpg on long motorway journeys where as my friend tends to get 7-10 mpg more.

VW also hang on to their new engines for a bit before passing them onto Seat and Skoda too.
  • Huckfinn
    Huckfinn Posts: 142
    Skoda Fabia VRS 1.9 Tdi ?

760938.jpg

+1

Got one of these and I can get 60mpg out of it and on long runs I have got 70 - 80 mpg (@ ~ 70mph) out of it. Even with the bikes on the roof I get around 50mpg. The seats fold down to accommodate at least two bikes
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Diesel mini?
    Diesel 2007-2010 Suzuki Swift
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you want something a little like the Cooper, consider a Fiesta Zetec-S TDCi, peppy 1.6 Diesel in a sweet handling car, that or the Fabia VR-S.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Suzuki swift would get my vote. Great little goer.
  • Adam k
    Adam k Posts: 37
    I used found my mk4 Ibiza was really good for getting bikes in back just take front wheel of and goes in mpg was round 50mpg

My Ibiza

459794_287970077952084_117624254986668_673663_370392718_o.jpg

Sometimes it went on the roof

293400_173115909432567_100002024771105_351724_1241158229_n.jpg

Got a new car and the mpg is rubbish and can't even get bike in without takin wheels of and bike seat out :(

My honda does about 37mpg has no room in side bit of a pointless car tbf but drives great

20120901_143448.jpg
  • Sitter
    Sitter Posts: 40
    I've got a '11 Astra, flip the back seats down and it's comfortably fitted in my bike (front wheel off) 3 snowboards in coffin style bags, large holdall of clothes plus a variety of other bits and bobs put in for a Winter season in the Alps. Would fit the bike in without removing anything if i didnt have anything else in with it. Can't remember the fuel economy but I've just managed Bludenz (bout an hour or so from Austrian/Swiss/German border) up to Rotterdam on one tank (or rather fuel station in Hull once off the ferry) at around 80/85mph most of the way.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Kia Piccanto - small, economical to run, no tax, my mate fits two giant trances in his with ride gear and weekend away gear with no massive issues. probably pick up a 12 plate for your budget.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Depends what kind of MPG you are looking for too, I've got a boat of a car but I still get a cobined 45mpg out of it which or a 2litre diesel I can live with
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Like adam loved my little mk4 Ibiza utterly fantastic small car that had more space than my mates focus lol(think thats a mk1 focus though).
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Honda make one of their smaller cars with a back seat that folds up and you can fit a whole bike in there. Can't remember which one, and I don't know if it's perky or fun. Might be the Jazz.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • miss notax
    Thanks guys - lots of good suggestions!

The car plans have been temporarily put on hold as I have just accepted a fab new job (woohoo!) but now need to move house as a result! My car plans therefore range from buying something a few years old (I fancy a Skoda Yeti 8) ) to selling the Mini and getting something dirt-cheap if I need to throw every penny I have at a new house :|

The house is the priority so I guess i'll see how that pans out...!

• Sitter
    Sitter Posts: 40
    Good luck with the new job and the house hunt!
  • miss notax
    Thanks 8)

I have gone from having a nice relaxing little life to full-on headless 'new job / new house' utter panic in the space of a week :shock:

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Congratulations on your new job, I look forward to the "What sort of nice house can I fit lots of bikes in?" thread :)
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er