2013 CAAD 10 project : Final Version

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited April 2014 in Your road bikes
Picked this up recently for a very reasonable price.
56 frameset

Steerer cut to size but will replace with 3t 17 deg stem/(seatpost and trusty aliante saddle have both seen better days)

fRIVU5F.jpg

Will update as and when components installed over next few weeks... months

Comments

• ed_j
    ed_j Posts: 335
    Really nice frame!

But that's not a -17.
  • jgsi
    Ed J wrote:
    Really nice frame!

But that's not a -17.

oh I know ... looking at a 3t team arx, but this is an extra expense I hadnt input on spreadsheet, so will hang with the fsa one for a while.
    Trying to build with bits, pieces from my parts bin, sale offers, begged borrowed etc.. if I can get shifters . last major expense.. for under 150, then the complete build will be in region of 900 quid.
    FSA bb30 standard double chainset I got for £90.. must have been a return as the sods only gave me one circlip.. I 'll suck up the £2 extra expense :wink:
  • ed_j
    I got a brand new, never used -17 3T Team ARX on ebay for £29. Maybe I got lucky, but it's definitely worth a look!
  • Ed J wrote:
    I got a brand new, never used -17 3T Team ARX on ebay for £29. Maybe I got lucky, but it's definitely worth a look!

What length is it?
  • ed_j
    Ed J wrote:

What length is it?

130mm.
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Nice! looking forward to seeing the finished item.
  • jgsi
    Ed J wrote:
    Ed J wrote:

What length is it?

130mm.

Definite piece of luck there... exactly what I need.. cheapest I have seen off the majors is £50
    Jagwire cable set in white and 6700 FD should arrive tomorrow, but it is the shifters that are going to cause the biggest delay with even 105s just under £150 for new but probably oem.
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    how tall are you? that drop to handle bar is HUGE with a 130mm -17 stem as well. you must be 6-5 at least with 35/36 legs and a humongous reach!!

also there is some 105 shifters for sale in classified for £125
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • jgsi
    No, :lol: I am not that tall... I only put the seatpost on temporarily... it is well not at the correct height!
    Admittedly looks like a van Summeren style of set-up.
    But, yes my inside leg measurement is not short and my flexibility is good so prefer a slammed stem and getting low on the drops to race or tt.

Found a 3T Team arx in black and white -17degree stem for £36, so pleased with that.
    Will look at the shifters, cheers
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    3T arx black and white is LTD edition, the Team versions are in Black n Red. the LTD are carbon stems. you get the pro version which is also in black and white actually that is alloy.
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • jgsi
    ricky1980 wrote:
    3T arx black and white is LTD edition, the Team versions are in Black n Red. the LTD are carbon stems. you get the pro version which is also in black and white actually that is alloy.

Yes, my 'bad' ...
    slight update:
    BB30 bearings are on today's menu to be fitted... always a slightly nervy experience pressing them in

lZo4f2p.jpg

5700 105 shifters sourced from Merlin for £132.
    Jagwire cable set and 6700 fd arrived.
    My spreadsheet still proposing a sub 7kg build.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Gonna be lovely that, but I'm sceptical of a sub 7kg build :wink:
  • jgsi
    I have splendid Excel/OpenOffice skills :wink:
    AmpqDiD.jpg
    You probably right though, happy for it to be built without any nightmares.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    What wheels are you using for this?

I have a 2012 CAAD10 Ultegra which is largely 'as standard' apart from a set of Token 50mm carbon tubs that weigh in at 2kgs with tyres, skewers and cassette. I'd be interested to see the exact weight of mine. Not sure it's sub 7Kg but it's probs not much over.

A few things have changed since taking the pic, new Deda stem, different pedals and my preferred Arione saddle fitted. I'm really pleased with it. Looking forward to seeing yours built up.

photo-1.jpg
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    good job... :D
  • jgsi
    jordan_217 wrote:

I have a 2012 CAAD10 Ultegra which is largely 'as standard' apart from a set of Token 50mm carbon tubs that weigh in at 2kgs with tyres, skewers and cassette. I'd be interested to see the exact weight of mine. Not sure it's sub 7Kg but it's probs not much over.

Break it all down to count it up...
    http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/updates-and ... ation.html
    Wheels.. prob some Planet X tubs 50/50.. see how the budget pans out... I do have some Archtypes in race trim to use however.
    A bit more done....
    xlDen0d.jpg
    kru5uTw.jpg
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    JGSI wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

Break it all down to count it up...
    http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/updates-and ... ation.html
    Wheels.. prob some Planet X tubs 50/50.. see how the budget pans out... I do have some Archtypes in race trim to use however.
    A bit more done....
    xlDen0d.jpg
    kru5uTw.jpg

I'm not disputing you, I'm pretty confident a CAAD10 could be built to sub 7kg's with a few, not too expensive changes. There's a fair few of them on WW's that are.

I'm really chuffed with mine, yours is coming on nicely. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • ed_j
    It may look like 7kg on the spreadsheet, but parts can weigh a ridiculous amount over their claimed weight. If the claimed weight was 7kg on all parts, I'd probably be very happy with 7.2-7.3.
  • Raatty
    Raatty Posts: 11
    sorry to hijack. Great frame.

i have the same CAAD10 105 frame colour and i would be interested if you have decided on any colour themes for it. I am thinking of getting the H+SON Archtypes in black, with black nipples, and black spokes, but with the Chris King R45 Red Hubs, Chris King Red Bottom Bracket, Chris King Red headset. I just don't know if i should keep the Hubs black and keep only black and silver on the frame. I would love a contrasting colour. maybe even get red bar tape.

my first bike so i wanted to upgrade slowly, but am thinking ahead. wheels are defo in the next month or two. just dunno if the other items are worth it. i only just started cycling and its only for long rides on a friday morning on straight cycling tracks in Dubai. no rain, no portholes.

again sorry to hijack.
  • jgsi
    Did a little more today,after getting back from work. :evil:

Front brake/rear mech cabled and tested...
    Can't do FD until I get a £2 adjuster from CRC .. typical..
    Anyways.. I dont have the best workshop in the world...
    nHfb10t.jpg
    Will be getting fresh pads
    kL2ozgc.jpg
    Rear mech has seen some action...still going though.
    mFrtQf0.jpg

As for hubs and wheels.. on the Synapse at mo (race trim only)
    the Archtypes
    X8F0i7d.jpg?1
    cb4xeFN.jpg
  • ed_j
    Looking good. What's wrong with the pads?
  • jgsi
    Ed J wrote:
    Looking good. What's wrong with the pads?

Colour mismatch :wink: I'll keep them for other bike on winter duties... they work very well
  • jgsi
    Finally ventured out for a road test of 500 metres or so...
    Front derailleur still not connected as the flippin adjuster not arrived but everything else sweet as a nut even on the ancient wheels...

JNcOUWF.jpg
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    some quality composition... :D
  • jgsi
    17 lb build
    yhFYd2J.jpg

A mixture of 6700/5700
    FSA BB30 Energy 53/39 chainset

Costing approx £830 - that's the original frameset plus bits - single major extra build cost the 105 shifters
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Me gusta.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • ed_j
    JGSI wrote:
    17 lb build

A mixture of 6700/5700
    FSA BB30 Energy 53/39 chainset

Costing approx £830 - that's the original frameset plus bits - single major extra build cost the 105 shifters

Not with those wheels it didn't! :lol:

Good job though, looks great, and you have a similar build ethos to me, good quality, second hand!
  • jgsi
    Ed J wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    17 lb build

A

Not with those wheels it didn't! :lol:

Good job though, looks great, and you have a similar build ethos to me, good quality, second hand!

I see what you mean.. but it has been ridden with those antiquated CXP rims of course.. :wink:
    I am so tempted to take it to a criterium I'm riding on Saturday.
    The problem is that when you build up a bike from bits in the shed, the OH doesn't know you actually have increased the bike count by one.
  • ed_j
    Go on, why not? Criteriums are all acceleration, the stiffness of alloy will lend itself well!

Why is that a problem? Sounds great to me! Would she even know the difference? I doubt mine would.
  • jgsi
    Ed J wrote:
    Go on, why not? Criteriums are all acceleration, the stiffness of alloy will lend itself well!

Why is that a problem? Sounds great to me! Would she even know the difference? I doubt mine would.

depends on the weather... I was soaked on Tuesday night, 30 road race miles in a constant cold downpour, so will race on t'other Cannondale if not set fair.... as for not noticing.. this so so more white black as the older bike is so so black white :wink:
    But I agree it need s a chance to set me up for a top ten finish again :D