Any tips for first 10 mile TT on wednesday?

NITR8s
NITR8s Posts: 688
edited May 2013 in Amateur race
I am bit nervous about it, ive tried the course on my own last year and managed the quickest time of just under 31mins. I really wanna come in under 30mins and are really worried about being demoralised by the fast guys whizzing past me.

Does any one have any tips to try and get the best of my first attempt.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    most of it has already been covered in this thread viewtopic.php?f=40041&t=12913472
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    PLF
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    My first ever try at a TT was bang on 31 mins. The reason it was so slow? Went WAY too hard at the start and lost all power after about 5 mins.

Ease into it. Save some for the second half.

And PLF for the last mile.
  • Pokerface
    markos1963 wrote:
    Don't slow down when the fast guys come past

But also, don't speed up to try and catch them and stay with them! That's an easy way to blow. Jus stick with your own pace.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Pokerface wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

But also, don't speed up to try and catch them and stay with them! That's an easy way to blow. Jus stick with your own pace.

Definitely....................I never did that when I started :oops:
  • Pokerface
    markos1963 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

Definitely....................I never did that when I started :oops:

There's always a natural tendency to speed up when someone passes. I guess it depends on when they pass and how much faster they are going. I don't get passed too often any more, but when I do it's usually by a pretty fast rider. Pointless trying to keep up.
  • NITR8s
    Pokerface wrote:

This is what im worried about, I know i am naturally competative and if some one comes flying passed me i am gonna find it difficult not to try and keep up with them.
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    NITR8s wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

This is what im worried about, I know i am naturally competative and if some one comes flying passed me i am gonna find it difficult not to try and keep up with them.

Perhaps the fact that you would be cheating may deter you. One should not take pace from another rider in a TT.
    Plus seeing as you have been caught for a minute (or more) already what are you proving by trying to keep in touch with a markedly quicker rider?
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    NITR8s wrote:
    ...ive tried the course on my own last year and managed the quickest time of just under 31mins. I really wanna come in under 30mins...

You'll probably find that the fact you're riding it under race conditions is worth that minute. Pin a number on anyone's jersey and they go faster, in my (limited) experience.
  • Pokerface
    NITR8s wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Realistically, if they go flying past you, you won't be able to do much more than watch them speed off into the distance. It's when they just manage to come past you and then DON'T keep speeding off that it becomes a problem!
  • mr_joe0606
    mr_joe0606 Posts: 104
    theres a local 1 near to me which i am wanting to do. as op didnt feel like i would be quick enough and dont want to look silly. i went out tonight to have a little go at it did 8.50 mile in 23 mins so i might give it a bash next week.

http://app.strava.com/activities/51562602
  • Pokerface
    mr_joe0606 wrote:
    theres a local 1 near to me which i am wanting to do. as op didnt feel like i would be quick enough and dont want to look silly. i went out tonight to have a little go at it did 8.50 mile in 23 mins so i might give it a bash next week.

http://app.strava.com/activities/51562602

There are people at my Club 10 that do it in 21:30, and others that do it in 32:00. I doubt any of them look silly (or even feel silly). Ultimately it's about being better than you were the previous week. (Unless you're at the sharp end and trying to be THE fastest guy.)

No matter how fast or slow, people should always give this a try. It's addictive - no matter what speed you go at!
  • imsimon
    imsimon Posts: 181
    I did my first this evening! 10 miles, I was totally unprepared, Ive just joined a triathlon club, turned up for a tuesday night bimble as I had the week before to be told we were going to do a local TT, rode 10miles or so to get there, everyone friendly and not intimidating despite a lot of expensive machinery etc.

great workout and no doubt I was a few mins quicker than if it wasnt a TT, didnt get overtaken, didnt overtake anyone, to be honest I was hoping for sub 35mins with a view to getting to 30 in the future, was all going well and chain came off with 1/4mile or so left! didnt have to stop but it must of cost me at least 15-20 secs plus getting back to speed.

end result, came in 30mins 9 secs, so pleased well under 35mins but gutted as if the chain had stayed good I would of been under!

bottom line, I paid £3 to have a great time, dont worry (easy to say) and as they said above PLF!!!
  • markos1963
    imsimon wrote:
    I did my first this evening! 10 miles, I was totally unprepared, Ive just joined a triathlon club, turned up for a tuesday night bimble as I had the week before to be told we were going to do a local TT, rode 10miles or so to get there, everyone friendly and not intimidating despite a lot of expensive machinery etc.

great workout and no doubt I was a few mins quicker than if it wasnt a TT, didnt get overtaken, didnt overtake anyone, to be honest I was hoping for sub 35mins with a view to getting to 30 in the future, was all going well and chain came off with 1/4mile or so left! didnt have to stop but it must have cost me at least 15-20 secs plus getting back to speed.

end result, came in 30mins 9 secs, so pleased well under 35mins but gutted as if the chain had stayed good I would have been under!

bottom line, I paid £3 to have a great time, dont worry (easy to say) and as they said above PLF!!!

Great story and well done! At least you have a time now and something to aim for. Nice to hear of first experiences like this as it dispels the fear and myth surrounding TTing. For most of us that do it regular it's because of the friendliness of the scene and the ease of which you can get into racing.
  • imsimon
    imsimon Posts: 181
    well????
    come on, you cant make a post like this and then not let us know how you got on??
  • NITR8s
    Drum roll please .................... 28.58.

I am pleased with that as I was aiming for sub 30 and managed to beat sub 29. Two weeks time I am gonna aim for sub 28mins

http://app.strava.com/activities/51781535?segment_created=true#930720890 - Heres the Strava proof.
  • markos1963
    NITR8s wrote:

I am pleased with that as I was aiming for sub 30 and managed to beat sub 29. Two weeks time I am gonna aim for sub 28mins

http://app.strava.com/activities/51781535?segment_created=true#930720890 - Heres the Strava proof.

Great first effort, you must be pleased with that?
  • NITR8s
    Defo pleased, I really enjoyed it and gonna strive to go faster now.

I tried to not go out to hard and pace myself but if you look a the course map on strava I found this very difficult as was really lumpy. I am really happy that I pushed it completely for the last half a mile, as i wouldnt have come in sub 29 if I didnt do that. I was even starting to catch up the guys who overtook me.
  • markos1963
    NITR8s wrote:
    Defo pleased, I really enjoyed it and gonna strive to go faster now.

I tried to not go out to hard and pace myself but if you look a the course map on strava I found this very difficult as was really lumpy. I am really happy that I pushed it completely for the last half a mile, as i wouldnt have come in sub 29 if I didnt do that. I was even starting to catch up the guys who overtook me.

If you think that was lumpy come and try the Little Mountain TT next year :wink:
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I did my first 10 TT last night, well first since the last one over 25 years ago. Got a pretty good time I think, 26:39 given its not exactly a flat course, and looking at the HR chart, I paced perfectly. The only problem was that my new TT bars came loose, first the right side about half way in, then the left side towards the end. But those bars probably gave me a minute, which is where most of my mates finished (27:xx)

http://app.strava.com/activities/51796973#
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • thegodplato
    thegodplato Posts: 319
    I too am thinking about trying a 10TT. And just a bit apprehensive about getting laughed at on my road bike with no TT bars. Do you lot have the clip on bars or just ride your normal bike. Can't afford a TT bike so hav eto make do with what I have been using for the past year. I'd expect under 30mins as I've done a 10.8mile circuit that gets raced on near me a couple of times last year - maybe 6 months or so ago. I did it in 32mins which makes a 10mile in under 30mins easily possible. My club secretary reckons I'm setting my target of 30mins too high but we'll see. He thinks I should be much quicker but I'm not getting my hopes up. Our club record is 19.01mins!!!!
    I'll beat that no problem, cough, cough! I don't even think with a number on my back I'll get anywhere near that, plus at almost 42, I ain't no spring chicken!!
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    People do club 10's (and open events for that matter) on all kinds of bikes. why would anyone laugh at you?
  • NITR8s
    There was a guy on a mountain bike last night giving it a go, dont worry. A lot of the guys last night didnt have an aerobar and still managed to do a 26/27min time.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    I too am thinking about trying a 10TT. And just a bit apprehensive about getting laughed at on my road bike with no TT bars. Do you lot have the clip on bars or just ride your normal bike.

Plenty of people do club 10's on Road bikes (including younger Pro riders) - I started TT'ing on my Roadie - good benchmark.
  • SuperCove
    SuperCove Posts: 127
    Mettan wrote:
    I too am thinking about trying a 10TT. And just a bit apprehensive about getting laughed at on my road bike with no TT bars. Do you lot have the clip on bars or just ride your normal bike.

Plenty of people do club 10's on Road bikes (including younger Pro riders) - I started TT'ing on my Roadie - good benchmark.

I entered my first 10TT last night on my standard road bike with no TT bars... plenty of the club riders there were not running TT bars.

DO IT... It will hurt (a lot) but you will love it!
    Cove Handjob XC
    Giant OCR
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    I too am thinking about trying a 10TT. And just a bit apprehensive about getting laughed at on my road bike with no TT bars.

Others are going to be wearing skinsuits and pointy hats and you're worried about being laughed at? Seriously, if anyone laughs at you for riding a TT on a standard road bike, you should look for another club!
  • thegodplato
    thegodplato Posts: 319
    Well, I have just attempted my first 10TT based on L105 Myerscough route. Did it in 27:43 which I am well chuffed with. So, as the Club Sec told me, get a number on my back and it should take a minute off so I'm hoping to get a low 26 if and when I brave the taking part in a real TT!
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • NITR8s
    Well done Godplato.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    NITR8s wrote:

Well done thats a great time, especially on that course! I hate the welly wheelers 10 course, can never get into a rythmn because you're either going downhill or uphill.