Have you seen "your" bike out and about?

TKF
TKF Posts: 279
edited May 2013 in Road general
I pulled up alongside a Cyfac today and commented how nice it was and how I'd not seen one out on the roads before. The owner said he hadn't either.

I've only been road riding the last 15mths and only had my Ridley a month but I'm yet to see another Ridley in the wild, let alone the exact model.

As the owner of a Specialized Allez it's nice not to see your bike every 5 minutes.

Comments

• IanREmery
    IanREmery Posts: 148
    Only seen my cube agree gtc out once, but then I've only had it four weeks.

Can't remember ever seeing another cube nature hybrid (2011 model) in 2 years, and only ever seen one Dawes tamarak DX mountain bike in almost ten years!
  • No. My main and favourite bike is an over 30 year old vintage Falcon. British-made, back when Ernie Clements ran the firm. There are plenty around, but the closest I've seen to mine was one with similar decals but not the same colour - it's a lovely sandy hue - or same spec. :)
  • We have a "Triban spotted" thread currently running, Quite a library of locations building up of Tribans spotted whilst out and about.
  • Lycra-Byka
    Lycra-Byka Posts: 292
    I ride a giant defy.

It's like a plague out there. I've said it before, two wheeled ford focus. ( ironically I drive a focus too!)
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Lycra-Byka wrote:
    I ride a giant defy.

It's like a plague out there. I've said it before, two wheeled ford focus. ( ironically I drive a focus too!)

Me too but I have the 0 which is definitely more exclusive! Only seen 1 other so far.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    My summer bike is a black Storck Scenario and have never seen another one in the flesh and have ridden a lot of events and always get a lot of positive comments on how nice it looks. The frame does not get made now so probably quite rare.

Winter bike is a eight year old black Orbea Vitesse and I actually saw the exact same bike when on a cycling holiday at Mt Ventoux but I was on my other bike.

My new build is a Van Nic Astreaus and have never seen this bike at any event or on the road either.

You want a bike that stands out from the crowd
    Brian B.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Lycra-Byka wrote:
    I ride a giant defy.

One of the reasons I will never touch a Giant or Trek or Specialized again.

Far too many around. I am yet to see anyone with the exact same model as my Scott but you do see Scotts about.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Lycra-Byka
    goonz wrote:
    Lycra-Byka wrote:
    I ride a giant defy.

Far too many around. I am yet to see anyone with the exact same model as my Scott but you do see Scotts about.
    I ha this whole conversation on the club run today. Although the giant has served me well, I want something with a bit more flare next time. Something rarer, purely because of the whole ford focus thing.
    Maybe :
    Basso
    Colnago
    Time
    Look
    De rosa
    Ect.

But sometimes I think it's just the name that we're paying for.
    I might even think of getting a ribble stealth r872 (or whatever it is) and getting some custom graphics done. Purely in the interest in being a little bit different.
    Sadly I can't afford a nice custom built jobby.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Lycra-Byka wrote:
    I ride a giant defy.

I've only seen 1 other Giant Defy 2012 -> and that was at a Sportive.

Never seen one out on the road proper.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Havn,t seen another one of my giant defy comp 2,s on the road but I can do 50 mile around here and not see another bike.Go up the horse pass and see alsorts up there.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    I haven't come across another Giant rider locally (yet, they must exist since the LBS is a dealer), but there were a few at a Sportive, although not any Defy 2's as far as I could tell.

Saw far more Treks at the Sportive than anything else!
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • chuckla
    chuckla Posts: 132
    Haven't seen another Felt Z85 yet, LBS says felt we're best selling brand in Wales last year!

I always see a lot of spesh and giant down here!
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    chuckla wrote:
    Haven't seen another Felt Z85 yet, LBS says felt we're best selling brand in Wales last year!

I've come to the conclusion most Felt buyers never ride them. They sell well but I rarely see them out and about.
  • Lycra-Byka
    I think all you people who are not seeing the defy's around are witnessing (or not more to point), what I refer to as the 'most popular bike sold but probably used once and left in the garage' phenomena. There must be thousands.
  • Lycra-Byka
    Giant defy- cheese toastie sandwich machine.
    Actually quite good but left in a dark place and forgotten about.

Again I ride one-I'm not Sla gging them off.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I was commuting home once in Leeds and found myself behind a girl on a Look 585 Optimum like mine. I said to her "Nice bike, I have one just like it". She said "Oh, you must be Rolf F" :lol:

Not seen another. On the other hand, I do see a few Ribble Gran Fondos about but never a period Raleigh Record Ace or Randonneur.
    Lycra-Byka wrote:
    I ride a giant defy.

I've only seen 1 other Giant Defy 2012 -> and that was at a Sportive.

Never seen one out on the road proper.

Lol. No matter how much you love your bike, you can't argue that it is probably the most popular road bike model of one of the most popular brands. If you haven't seen any it is probably because your eyes can no longer identify them as bikes because they are so common. Kind of can't see the wood for the trees thing. :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    I ride an entry level Pinarello and even with the halford's thing i dont see many out on the roads. Although I do have to put up with the "who's the show off with the Pinarello" or "you must win everything on a Pinarello" comments at the cafe stops.
  • We have a "Triban spotted" thread currently running, Quite a library of locations building up of Tribans spotted whilst out and about.

Despite living a mile fom Decathlon, I've only seen one other Triban 3 in the last six months. :|

Zero other Viking Visions so far, unsurprisingly. Although they were built here in NI.
  • Inutero
    Inutero Posts: 111
    I've seen a few Trek Madone 2.1's about but yet to see a Triban 3 yet :D
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    I ve got a Triban 3 and a Planet X Pro Carbon Sl, I see both models out reguarly.

It cracks me up though, that I get knowing appreciative looks on the Triban, and sneared at out on the Planet X .
  • stongle
    stongle Posts: 61
    goonz wrote:

Well I guess it depends, right? Not seen anyone riding a similar Trek to mine, not even in racing livery. Thats saying you see less Ford GT40s than similar Ferraris, so its a ll bit relative. Round here, its mainly Boardman, Specialized, Cube, Trek etc.
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
    Wet - 2013 Madone 7 Series
    Commuting & general abuse - Boardman AIR9.2s
    Carbon and electric everything. I've yet to get zapped and nothings melted (yet anyway)
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I'm yet to see anyone on one of 'my' bikes yet. Maybe that says more about my choice of a lurid lime-green frame considering its a Trek. Common as mook.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    No.
  • Yeah - my road bike is a Bianchi :lol: Common as muck.
    It's a basic Via Nirone in silver. See loads in the "Bianchi" colours, but not yet seen one in silver.
    So that's a "no" then.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • If nobody else is riding your model of bike, its probably unpopular for a reason. I ride a CR1 comp. I never take notice of other cyclists equipment.
  • englander
    englander Posts: 232
    I saw "my" bike today whilst I was walking to the shops. I've also seen it locked up in the uni bike sheds (I locked mine right next to it so they could chat) and I've seen it one other time on the road. That's 3 since mid February. (2010 silver Spec Allez)
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Seen my 2012 Foil a couple times, but not the 2013. Then again, even if someone had the same frameset it would be highly unlikely that components and wheels would match.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • roadiemk
    roadiemk Posts: 19
    I've seen my winter bike (Halfords Apollo) being walked up White Down hill in Surrey.

My other bike is a Trek Radioshack team replica. Have not (and probably will not) see another one like it on the road tho.
    If I do I will eat by hat (ok, bike helmet). :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If nobody else is riding your model of bike, its probably unpopular for a reason.

I think we all understand what the meaning of 'common' is in this context. :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    lawrences wrote:
    chuckla wrote:

I've come to the conclusion most Felt buyers never ride them. They sell well but I rarely see them out and about.

I see a few Felts around SW London but as Pearson stock them that isn't a surprise. Never seen another z85 which is perhaps surprising given their spec at that price point but perhaps not considered they are a less racy geometry.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.