How far is your commute ?

13»

Comments

• phuqertrfc
    phuqertrfc Posts: 10
    My commute is 32 miles round trip from Warrington to Knutsford and back again.

Only doing it 2 days a week at the moment for a number of reasons.
    Firstly, 4 weeks ago, I got on a bike for the first time in 3 years, and this is also the first time I have ever done proper cycling.
    I have managed the commute quite comfortably, but I'm just sticking to twice a week for now.
    Secondly, I do a lot of running and football in the week also, so my legs feel pretty battered by the weekend anyway.

First 4 weeks were on my mates Scott Sportster, but today was my first commute on my brand new Whyte Portobello.

Taking me about an 1hour 20mins at the moment, and that is a mix of roads and trail, but I'm hoping to decrease my time as my fitness improves.
  • DrWally
    DrWally Posts: 54
    40mile round trip, most of which alongside a canal, car free 8) . I'm gonna miss that when I switch jobs later this year. Although with a winter like the one we had this year, there was not much bike-commuting going on. I uphold a 3degree celsius limit :)
  • meth_tical
    meth_tical Posts: 67
    32mile round trip 5 days a week due to the recent house move and the OH having the car to take the kids to Nursery and get to work herself (all of 4 miles).
    Been commuting 2 weeks and its still hard on the way home and later in the week my speed drops off considerably on the uphills. Hoping that after a few more weeks of doing it, it will be a lot easier.
  • 20 mile round trip from zone 4 south-east london to bloomsbury.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    DrWally wrote:
    40mile round trip, most of which alongside a canal, car free 8) . I'm gonna miss that when I switch jobs later this year. Although with a winter like the one we had this year, there was not much bike-commuting going on. I uphold a 3degree celsius limit :)

I've not driven to work since 2011!!

with a 3 degree limit you must miss pretty much all of december to march!

i've been down to minus 11 before! with the right gear its not so bad, but fingers and toes can be a killer!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    0.12 miles. I haven't used the car once since I started this job 3 years ago but I don't seem to be getting any fitter for some reason...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    35 miles RT with a couple of thousand feet of climbing. All year, all weathers (except deep snow or silly high winds - I need to cross the Kessock Bridge and it just becomes dangerous). Winter months on an MTB with ice tyres. Summer on a road bike. Fantastic commute - must rank in the top 1 or 2% best commutes.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I have the possibility of a 15 mile (one way) commute to work if I get the job I'm after. About half of it is off-road / shared use path. How do you guys cope in the winter when it's icy? As the paths don't get gritted, and it's for at least part of the way there's no road equivalent.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I have the possibility of a 15 mile (one way) commute to work if I get the job I'm after. About half of it is off-road / shared use path. How do you guys cope in the winter when it's icy? As the paths don't get gritted, and it's for at least part of the way there's no road equivalent.

Use ice tyres. I use Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros because they're (relatively) light and they have a huge number of studs. A pair have lasted me pretty much 3 winters. I've not even had a "moment" on them - they are that good. They will happily cope with sheet ice that you'd struggle to stand up on.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614

Use ice tyres. I use Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros because they're (relatively) light and they have a huge number of studs. A pair have lasted me pretty much 3 winters. I've not even had a "moment" on them - they are that good. They will happily cope with sheet ice that you'd struggle to stand up on.

Forgot to say I'm using a road bike which will take 700x25c maximum.
  • Aptly I've just been trying to work out the absolute shortest distance to my current work place. Several options but they are all in the 23-25 mile bracket. On a couple of nice mornings I've stretched it out to 45 miles - but that does make for a tiring day.

Aiming to get back to commuting a couple of times a week - although ideally i'd like to be doing it daily. If I could average 20mph comfortably it'd be about as quick as using the car!
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • snipsnap
    snipsnap Posts: 259
    currently in my first full week of doing the full 50 miloe round trip each day.
    I've been commuting by bike to the train station for 12 months, but as my daily miles varied between 15 - 35 miles per day dependant on weather/workload/family comittments.

Decided to go for broke though this week and commute entirely on two wheels.
    Really struggled this morning but still managed to do it in a reasonable (to me anyway!) time.
    Not looking forward to the journey home though.

I've been really suprised by the impact of the increased mileage - i know that sounds a bit silly but can easily do longer distances at weekend without issue.

Perhaps this is just me finding out I'm nowhere near as fit as I think! :-)

Anyone got any supporting words for me before I go and pay for the return train fare home!!??
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Don't worry about the racing getting home and (try) enjoy the ride as much as possible if you can

Eat as much as you can for the day

A good sleep will be on the cards
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • snipsnap
    snipsnap Posts: 259
    thanks matey, I did just that!

managed the full week on two wheels, even enjoyed it in the nice weather. it's a long way though every day, and with 2 young kids at home who also decided last week that they'd rather not sleep much at night, it resulted in a very laid back weekend. shame really as usually look forward to riding out with friends at the weekend, but i just didnt have much motivation to do that.

anyone that does the 50 miles a day 5 days per week and still hits the roads at weekend, I salute you!!!

back on the split bike (14 miles RT per day) the train commute for this week as a direct comparison. ironically, I was later to arrive into work this morning!!!!!

already kind of regretting buying a weekly train ticket!!!!!
  • Gren82
    Gren82 Posts: 48
    Just moved to a new place, gone from a flat 6 mile each way to 17.5 mile and slightly hilly (1300ft of climbing) The additional distance doesn't feel an issue but I do find the quality of the roads around Sheffield so frustrating that it's really putting me off.

Strava link for those who care.

http://app.strava.com/activities/59435715