Cissbury Ring today, idiot mountain biker

davep1
davep1 Posts: 836
edited May 2013 in MTB general
Cycled there from the Steyning direction this morning, having a rest with my two mates by the gate across the track. Plenty of other bikes going through, cars in the car park, dogs and their walkers.
I see this fella coming from the direction of Chanctonbury on a silver full susser, clearly on it. He bearly slows through the car park, and then literally bangs the gate across the footpath open, at around 15mph. Everyone shouts, but he has headphones on so either can't hear people or pretends not to. One older lady walking her dog said to me "People like that give you lot a bad name" and I had to agree with her.

Hope you are reading this, d1ckhead, and think about your behaviour. I might go and fix the latch on that gate...

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    So what did he actually do wrong?
  • davep1
    Apart from riding through a busy car park too fast, and then banging the gate open with his front wheel? Enough that everyone else there shouted at him?
  • bennett_346
    Did he actually damage the gate?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Did he damage it? If not I don't see what the problem is. Abit rude not to acknowledge people but hardly makes him a complete idiot...
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    well by the description of this entitled cyclist I bet:

his bike is a "the peter" or other overhyped and overpriced bike

and he drives an X5 or similar with private plates... and the windows must have an illegal tint on them...

its not that you get bad bikers, you get idiots that see an activity or sport and think hey I can be like that, where is my cheque book.....

the big clue is the headphones... probably BOSE at a guess... no real connection to other humans, never mind a bike or the outdoors
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    What if he rides with headphones on, on his own, to escape other humans - not make a connection with them?
  • bennett_346
    estampida wrote:

and he drives an X5 or similar with private plates... and the windows must have an illegal tint on them...

its not that you get bad bikers, you get idiots that see an activity or sport and think hey I can be like that, where is my cheque book.....

the big clue is the headphones... probably BOSE at a guess... no real connection to other humans, never mind a bike or the outdoors
    What the hell are you talking about?

Anyway i don't see the issue really if no damage was caused.
  • bennett_346
    This reminds me of an incident on a cycle path i had recently. It was about 20ft wide yet these walkers insisted on walking six-abreast, and despite me giving them a friendly warning that i was coming up behind them i still had to emergency brake to a stop because their dog (not on a lead) ran out UNDER my front wheel.

Yes i got abuse hurled at me.

Now that i think about it, this is nothing like that at all.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Once again, I suggest a strongly worded letter to the Mail.
    Harrumph.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    This reminds me of an incident on a cycle path i had recently. It was about 20ft wide yet these walkers insisted on walking six-abreast, and despite me giving them a friendly warning that i was coming up behind them i still had to emergency brake to a stop because their dog (not on a lead) ran out UNDER my front wheel.

:lol:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    estampida wrote:

wtf are you wittering on about man? cheque book? Bose headphones? X5? The Peter?...you what?

Trek Session 8
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    The best bit is; 'the biggest clue as to how much of a douche this guy is are his headphones'... but; 'we don't know what they actually are so we're going to assume they're Bose so we can continue this assumption that he is a douche'.
  • Maybe he was in the zone. When I cycle around Rutland Water, I bang through the gates sometimes. Not at 15mph though, that would damage the bike.
    Whats wrong with Bose aswell? I have it in the car, great sounding audio kit.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I bet he was listening to Genesis. What a cock.
  • felix.london
    I bet he was listening to Genesis. What a fool.

Now that would be unforgivable!

Trek Session 8
  • bennett_346
    That would be unforgivable. He was probably imitating the sound he was hearing by smashing into that gate.
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    Love this thread!

I bet they was titanium Bose special edition and he was listening to 2 unlimited and was a bit out of control due the copious amounts of MDMA consumed over the weekend. He tried to smash trough the gate like in the films due to is unrealistic state of mind!
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301

This gets me too. Once found four people walking the red route at Sherwood pines and told me I should have a bell! Another time just local on a cycle path a man stood in centre with his dog to block my path and tell me I should not be on a bike around here! I simply pointed to the cycle path sign and told him he should not be walking around here! Dick!
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    I've googled "the peter mtb" and I'm still none the wiser. Whatever it is, I feel like I want one now.
  • cooldad
    He means La Pierre. But seems to have issues.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Don't really see a massive problem with what he did, maybe he should have slowed down a bit through the car park but maybe someone had set up a Strava segment. There's a gate like that on one of my local rides and, every time it hit it and go through, I offer up a little prayer of thanks that no-ones put a latch on it.... one of these days it could be messy though. Funny old breed walkers.. we get a lot here in the Peak and, in the main, they're super friendly, appreciate what you're doing and are even mellow about you being on "cheeky trails" as long as you're not taking the piss. It's at places like Sherwood Pines and on local canal towpath that you get problems. On the latter it's people massively overreacting when they see a bike coming towards them... you'd think they'd never seen one before and lose the ability to walk in a straight line. Overtaking is even worse.. I always slow right down and loudly say "excuse me, coming past on your right".. again, often complete panic, often looking at each hand in turn to work out which is right and the invariably stepping completely the wrong way.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    lbalony wrote:
    Love this thread!

I bet they was titanium Bose special edition and he was listening to 2 unlimited and was a bit out of control due the copious amounts of MDMA consumed over the weekend. He tried to smash through the gate like in the films due to is unrealistic state of mind!

damn right, then he's off home to pop the love eggs in.........
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

As he's from Belize and thus not a native English speaker I think it's forgiveable, the general gist of what he's saying is perfectly clear!

I question the OP's judgement of speed though, if you ride into a gate at 15mph it will not open, you will crash.
  • cooldad
    njee20 wrote:

As he's from Belize and thus not a native English speaker I think it's forgiveable, the general gist of what he's saying is perfectly clear!

I question the OP's judgement of speed though, if you ride into a gate at 15mph it will not open, you will crash.
    It's not the first time. I am taking his 'peter' in context of the other sh1t he speaks. As a matter of interest English is the official language of Belize.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Woodmonkey
    Woodmonkey Posts: 412
    String him up, it's the only language he understands
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    He's only an idiot if he's wearing Beats by Dre.
  • davep1
    The gate doesn't have a latch, and hasn't had one for as far as I can remember. I just think it is unacceptable to bang through it on your bike - would he do that to his garden gate at home or garage door? It also shows a complete lack of mechanical sympathy; his bike looked up to it, but why risk damaging your front wheel/forks/headset/frame when you don't have to?
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    so basically, a man on a bike rode into a gate and through a car park. am i missing something?

im going to stick my neck out and suggest that this is completely ridiculous.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The lack of a latch is pretty irrelevant - if you ride into a gate at 15mph you will not just sail straight through it unhindered!
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    DaveP1 wrote:
    The gate doesn't have a latch, and hasn't had one for as far as I can remember. I just think it is unacceptable to bang through it on your bike - would he do that to his garden gate at home or garage door?

I do this at home. Getting off when you don't need to is unncessary. Wouldn't smash through at 15mph though, I think you're exaggerating there. Either way it's hardly the crime of the century. As for not acknowledging you like you said in the inital post, maybe he thought you looked like a bit of a twunt? Just saying, there's no law saying he has to stop and acknowledge your existance.