Eurosport Player - Any Good?

Caller
Caller Posts: 124
edited September 2013 in Pro race
I'm thinking about getting the Eurosport Player app for my iPad so I can watch the Giro at work :shock:

Does anyone here use it?
Is it any good?

Comments

• slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    I used it at work last year for the tour and it worked flawlessly for me.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Caller wrote:
    I'm thinking about getting the Eurosport Player app for my iPad so I can watch the Giro at work :shock:

Does anyone here use it?
    Is it any good?

Do you currently have a Sky subscription to watch Eurosport? If so, there's a free service called Sky Go for all subscribers which has Eurosport 1/2 on it.
  • Caller
    Caller wrote:

Does anyone here use it?
    Is it any good?

Do you currently have a Sky subscription to watch Eurosport? If so, there's a free service called Sky Go for all subscribers which has Eurosport 1/2 on it.

No, currently have Virgin Media and no Sky Sports subscriptions.
  • argyllflyer
    Caller wrote:
    Caller wrote:

Does anyone here use it?
    Is it any good?

No, currently have Virgin Media and no Sky Sports subscriptions.

Then Eurosport Player it is! :D
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Not so fast. I'm pretty sure Virgin have just launched something similar. Will have a look now
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    If you know anyone with a sky account, you can ask them if they are willing to share by using sky go. I think you're allowed up to four devices. I'm using someone elses and I know a few other people who do the same, watch on PC or iPad and easy to set up.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    I have just subscribed to Eurosport player on the iPad for 1 month for a one off charge of £2.99

You need to uncheck the auto renewal option if you just want it for the Giro

For less than the cost of a pint it is good value I think.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Their scheduling is shocking but no complaints about Eurosport Player. In fact I have cancelled Sky and bought Apple TV so I can watch it through AirPlay on big tele!
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    +1 for Eurosport Player and Apple TV. I'm watching it on the telly now.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    I'm in France and my whilst I subscribe to Eurosport I'm only getting the French Eurosport on my i-pad here. They aren't showing the Giro!!!! Any idea how I can watch it live?
  • Beatmaker wrote:
    Their scheduling is shocking

38 minutes behind schedule tonight, because of the effing snooker! :shock:
  • carrock
    Beatmaker wrote:
    Their scheduling is shocking but no complaints about Eurosport Player. In fact I have cancelled Sky and bought Apple TV so I can watch it through AirPlay on big tele!

I am going to buy a £15 iPad to hdmi cable to watch it on my big tv
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Presume the ipad version still works? The Android app has stopped working for the last month and Eurosport don't give a monkeys about it.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    Eurosport schedules confirm that there will be whole stage coverage of the Galibier stage, on May 16th. (12-30CET start)
    Also confirmed is daily (60-90 minutes) coverage of the Tour of Norway.
    Tour of California, also live, next week.

That Sunday, Eurosport 2 has an eight and a half hour slot of continuous cycling, beginning with the Giro.
    How times have changed. :)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    How the hell are we expected to get any work done? :)
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    Forget it for Android devices.
  • Beatmaker
    Presume the ipad version still works? The Android app has stopped working for the last month and Eurosport don't give a monkeys about it.

Yep, still works fine sorry :D
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Eurosport schedules confirm that there will be whole stage coverage of the Galibier stage, on May 16th. (12-30CET start)

That Sunday, Eurosport 2 has an eight and a half hour slot of continuous cycling, beginning with the Giro.

Galibier Stage is May 19th !
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762

That's a beautiful thing.

I'm predicting can't get planes in the air for Giro, Norway coverage cancelled, and Carlton Kirby on California.
  • Caller
    Well I went for the Eurosport player and used it today at work, not a bad picture and well worth the £2.99 it cost for the month!
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Any idea how much data I would use with 3G on O2? Thinking of subscribing so I can watch on my iphone, but no wifi at work.

Used to be fine when I was on unlimited data, but now only get 500MB until I renew in October.

Can I also watch on my laptop or PC at home?
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    What sort of time shifting options (if any) do you have with the iPad version?

For example, is there any way that I could watch edited highlights of today's stage at (say) 9:30pm tonight?
  • Anyone know why previous days' stages aren't in the video on demand section? For example they have last night's snooker final - but no Giro at all?
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    There are no time shifting options on the iPad app and no Giro content in the computer catchup section. You can rewind the live computer feed by a couple of hours which might be enough to catch the end of the stage when you get home from work. It's frustrating that they are showing the highlights so late. Eurosport tell me that this is for rights reasons, which seems a bit odd.

I would think that using the iPhone app over 3G would use your data allowance very quickly.
  • carrock
    Scheduling is appalling. Waiting for giro highlights scheduled for 930 pm start and there are 2 silly cows playing tennis.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    Eurosport showing another "first" during the Giro's 3rd week,
    with live coverage of the Tour of Belgium.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Beatmaker
    carrock wrote:
    Scheduling is appalling. Waiting for giro highlights scheduled for 930 pm start and there are 2 silly cows playing tennis.

This seems to be an issue with the Eurosport Player app. I've noticed its nearly always an hour out. I tweeted Eurosport about it yesterday (without a reply) and a friend replied to the tweet saying the schedule for Eurosport showing on Sky was accurate.
  • argyllflyer
    Turfle wrote:

That's a beautiful thing.

I'm predicting can't get planes in the air for Giro, Norway coverage cancelled, and Carlton Kirby on California.

Carlton is in Italy, it's Rob Hatch for both California and Belgium.