Heart rate monitoring via garmin edge 500

p1tse
p1tse Posts: 694
Just picked up a used edge 500 with hrm and cadence

Is it just plug and play or do I need to setup max heart rate which I'm not sure what it is.
Managed to pair it and my rest hr whilst playing with the 500 was circa 80bpm.

I'm relatively unfit, cardio isn't my strong point, with mild asthma too.
I want to improve on fitness, getting enough air into my lungs stamina and speed

What do I need to take into consideration?
Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm

Comments

• edten
    edten Posts: 228
    You should do a test to work out FTHR. See here for testing and setting zones.
    http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2 ... zones.html

If you are very unfit then this may not be a great idea...i have no idea of your health. If not then just use the 220 minus age (yes it is innacurate but its a start.mine is actually quite close) and use that for a few weeks and train plenty in Z2 building time up to a couple of hours over a few weeks, and a Z3 shorter ride thrown in, 30-45mins (or split up with a rest at z2 in between). For now I would stay away from higher intensity stuff as you just risk injury.

Then do the test and look at pulling together a more structured training plan focusing on what type of riding you plan to be doing v available time.
  • p1tse
    Thanks
    Well I've been doing a little run and cycle recently
    I couldn't give much more on a 4 mile run with a mate at 10 minute mile pace just!
    On the bike depending on conditions I've managed an hour and do about 13 miles

Not sure if I can follow the above and go flat out for 30 mins lol
    Maybe start with 220- my age as a starter and wear the device on a few run cycle to see what it comes out as
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not knowing your max HR will not stop the device from telling you how fast your heart is beating - but if you don't know your max then it won't be particularly useful as a training aid. 220-age is largely worthless as a means of calculating your max.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Find a hill and ride up it as hard as you can without spewing. This figure is close enough to**/if not your max.

**ultimately far closer than the widely discredited 220-age garbage will be.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Alternatively you can use Garmin connect & Garmin Training free software to help you set this up. Helpful if you your going to be using this to log your rides.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    p1tse wrote:
    Thanks
    Well I've been doing a little run and cycle recently
    I couldn't give much more on a 4 mile run with a mate at 10 minute mile pace just!
    On the bike depending on conditions I've managed an hour and do about 13 miles

Not sure if I can follow the above and go flat out for 30 mins lol
    Maybe start with 220- my age as a starter and wear the device on a few run cycle to see what it comes out as

its not 30mins flat out but 30mins at the hardest pace you can maintain for 30mins. Its all too easy to start out too fast and then just get slower as you go on. Ideally pace should be more or less steady as the test goes on, increasing rather than dropping.

My age - HR equals about 182. Actual max HR is about 185ish but FTHR is more like 166-168 maybe low 170s in a race which is what I use for setting zones. so yes it's out but working zones 1/2/3 out from this are not too far out. If you can't get out and test for now, I wouldnt worry about it just set the zones as I guide and you'll be more or less there. After a month then do a test, you'll probably be fitter and understand your limits a little better to maintain a maintainable pace through the test.
  • p1tse
    Thanks all
    Went out whilst wife fed the kids earlier. Quick 10 miles about 40 mins
    Max HR wasn't logged until near the home where I tactical a short incline and still struggle each time lol
    But average hr 150bpm
    Max hr 176 Bpm (if using the 220- less age it would be 190 lol)

Also attached cadence, but have no idea what the data should read, but logged
    Average 76rpm, max 108rpm

It was the first time I've been out where it showered half way through all the way and didn't enjoy the wet from braking point of view
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Nothing like losing your brakes for keeping your average speed up! :shock:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    p1tse wrote:
    Max hr 176 Bpm (if using the 220- less age it would be 190 lol)

Not sure what you mean by that. If you logged 176 as your max during the ride, then that was your max during the ride. It does not mean that 176 is your max HR - and your theoretical '220' max HR is not relevant anyway.