Aldi bike stuff Thurs 02 May

2»

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Don't underestimate the importance of weight and venting, if you are riding hard you don't want to boil your head or have insects get in but not out and eat your head.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • neilrobins
    neilrobins Posts: 102
    Just nipped to local Aldi, not a lot left but 10 quid for featherweight shower jacket is a bargain and no significant difference to my 60 castelli so one for hack and one for club. Also picked up the soft shell with removable arms, 15 quid, will be great for hack too. Agree with previous poster, the socks are brilliant, a couple more pairs in the basket, job done.
    I use decathlon bib shorts mostly, 20 quid and easily last a year, comfort is fine. I do get the sense their prices have gone up maybe due to the popularity of cycling??
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Ive got a couple of the compression tops and they're great. The packable jacket last year was as waterproof as a tea bag though.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    The packable jacket is not waterproof but is ideal to stick in the back pocket in case of a shower or for warming up before a race.
  • neilrobins wrote:
    I do get the sense their prices have gone up maybe due to the popularity of cycling??

That's what I thought, too. The "deluxe" jerseys at £15 didn't strike me as being especially cheap. I still bought a couple, though.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Got a soft shell and a normal jersey plus arm warmers and socks. The quality is very good for the money. My £130 altura varium jacket is a better design but came with some loose stitching. My £16 aldi one didn't! The only item i would spend more money on is bibs.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Don't bother with the knee warmers - they are kak, slip down with slightest if knee movement.
  • Aldi is ok for what it is, cheap and cheerful :D , and a good way to get into cycling cheaply. I have started road cycling to keep fit. As much as I'd love the top gear its not sensible to do that at my level. Aldi gear is a good way to investigate what you get the most use out of, then you step up the quality and obviously the price. If you are speed racing you won't be happy with the kit from Aldi. As with any leisure time activity nowadays it will cost lots of money (even walking which calls for footwear and rainproof clothing in this country). Aldi kit is is for entry level and/or cycling on a budget. Those who knock it can afford the top end stuff :roll: . There's a wider market for all out there nowadays which manufacturers and superstores are catering for. I have just swapped my 23 year old Claude Butler mountain bike(£325 back then) for a roadie Carrera cheapy (£250 from Halfords). What has occurred to me whilst doing the rounds finding the most suitable bike is that not only has quality got better (and cheaper perhaps) but there is a whole new range out there now. Back then it was just road or mountain bikes. Now theres road/mountain/hybrid/sit up beg/american/sand bikes. Makers know choice increases revenue. Aldi know there are cyclers on a budget out there. Times are good my fellow cyclers. :wink:
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    antfly wrote:
    What happens if someone you know sees you going in there, do you have a story ready or some sort of disguise?

Just kiddin.

What's the difference between Aldi and a sheep........ It's less embarrassing been caught inside a Sheep :D
  • ravenvrider
    ravenvrider Posts: 198
    I bbought a couple of pairs of gloves always find they last well for commuting, thought i would try their bibs for my gym sessions (wattbike), but found the quality very poor and the leg gripper way too tight almost cutting off my circulatoon tight so they went back.