The paper leaflet also shows mini pump, shoes, soft shell top etc
~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~

Comments

• FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Really coins the popular phrase:

wait for it...

"Aldi gear and no idea"
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    wait for it

It wasn't worth the wait......(the joke - not the kit which is excellent value and very long lasting) :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Packable jacket and hopefully a bike stand for me .lidl's was poor enough last week, most stuff unsold when I checked it out in the afternoon.
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571

wait for it.

"Aldi gear and no idea"

Another cycling snob.Not everyone can afford the top gear you know. :evil:

I am currently using the 3/4 length padded shorts and for the money they are great.I will be buying some shorts next week too.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Haughjd
    Haughjd Posts: 93
    I got some of their stuff from their last sale. It's superb value for money. I'd love all my gear to be Gore, but that's not going to happen. This isnt the best, your not going to win any tour's but at this price it's smiles all round.

Trust me its worth a look.

J
  • rolf_f
    Davdandy wrote:
    "Aldi gear and no idea"

To be fair, it's unclear what FransJacques is meaning as the joke doesn't make sense because the convention of All the Gear and no idea is that the buyer is getting all the posh stuff when he doesn't no what to do with it.

As Aldi is as cheap as you can get then it hardly counts as 'All the gear'!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Rolf F wrote:
    Davdandy wrote:
    "Aldi gear and no idea"

To be fair, it's unclear what FransJacques is meaning as the joke doesn't make sense because the convention of All the Gear and no idea is that the buyer is getting all the posh stuff when he doesn't no what to do with it.

So you mean, 'Lidal does he know'? I think more cheesy jokes is exactly what BR needs.

Thanks for heads up though, I might get some coolmax shorts.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • rolf_f
    passout wrote:
    So you mean, 'Lidal does he know'? I think more cheesy jokes is exactly what BR needs.

Ahhh, maybe you are right. Do you think the world might have made me too cynical?
  • I think most sensible bikers would be curious as to how good Lidl/Aldi stuff is. I buy Rapha and I also own some Lidl work gloves that are not even cycling-specific, which I used for months in the winter time.

"Crivit" must be German for cool?
    The titifers have sung their song.

Now it's time for sleep.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Got a few bits of Lidl gear, jerseys and a gilet being the highlights - very pleased with them for the ludicrously low price.

Perfect if you just want stuff you can destroy without worrying about the cost. More money to spend on the bike, that way :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I joined the early morning Mamil run to Aldi to check out the bargains, it was still dormant at 8:15. I picked up a pretty decent looking (and feeling) light softshell convertable jacket for £15 which has saved me spending £59 on the decathlon one, fits nicely. Also got one of their cheap cycling shirts and some arm warmers. For this price you don't expect Rapha style but to me the quality is more than acceptable.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Rolf F wrote:
    Davdandy wrote:
    "Aldi gear and no idea"

Some people need to lighten up lol :D
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I wonder is the ALDI stuff better than the LIDL stuff?

The LIDL stuff fitted like a bin liner and I like to look good on and off the bike so it was a no no from me.

I'd rather save a little extra and buy better quality and fitting gear.

If it fits then great but not for moi.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Being bin-liner-shaped has its advantages :D . I think the Aldi stuff is a bit better quality than Lidl, I haven't bought Lidl stuff but I've had a few Aldi jackets and tops and compression underwear thats been great and lasting well 6 months on. I hold out to spend a bit more on shoes and cycle shorts with good padding though.
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    Went this morning and bought a pair of shorts and a jersey and the lock.

The shorts feels good,a little bit of bagginess at the bottom of the leg but other than that a good fit.the jersey is fine,no probs.And the lock is only if i should need something locking at home,at only £2.50 i am not complaining.

Overall i am very happy.I am not a Sky rider nor do i ever want to be.I am an average Joe with average wages and the cycling is what is important to me not looking the dandiest on the street.hell,even my normal clothes are nothing special,nice but they don't cost me £100 for a t-shirt for example.Labelled stuff is for vain people,and i am not one of them.You take me as i am or bog off.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Bought the jacket/gilet and shoes (the green/brown ones)
    Got the thicker jacket last year, but it's getting a bit warm for it now, though it does have more pockets.
    Shoes fit well, but I'll have to wait for some pedals to try them properly
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    Hoping there's some stuff left in my local Aldi when I get there after work.

Can't argue with their stuff for the price.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Well I am a bike snob - I have a lot of expensive kit Assos Castelli endura equipe - but I actually prefer the Aldi cycling socks to the posh brands. I just went to aldi and got their packable rain jacket - it packs really small and is very light - excellent to leave in your rucksack when commuting and forget about until you need it - and I got more socks :)
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    goonz wrote:

The LIDL stuff fitted like a bin liner and I like to look good on and off the bike so it was a no no from me.
    It's all the same fing innit. The shops are run by two German brothers and are branded separately but share sourcing, wharehouseing, and distribution. Read a great Economist article about this.

Kinda like Adi Dasler and his brother 'cept these 2 get along :-)
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    goonz wrote:

It's all the same fing innit. The shops are run by two German brothers and are branded separately but share sourcing, wharehouseing, and distribution. Read a great Economist article about this.

Kinda like Adi Dasler and his brother 'cept these 2 get along :-)

Urban myth, the brothers run Aldi and have no connection to LIDL.

I just picked up the packable jacket and took it with me on my ride this morning, did not need it but did not even notice it in my back pocket. No arm/leg warmers in my local branch, was hoping for a bike stand also.
  • c-mac
    c-mac Posts: 30
    Popped in this morning. Purchased a bike lock, mini pump and packable waterproof jacket. As long as they all work I'll be chuffed.

Was thinking of buying a Rapha jacket but didn't know if it was worth it. £10 Aldi jobby will be a bargain and perfect for the odd downpour and commute.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Grabbed a medium softshell for next winter ie 2 months time.Fitted ok and YKK zips .
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    What happens if someone you know sees you going in there, do you have a story ready or some sort of disguise?

Just kiddin.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    I got a jersey, shorts, rainproof, socks, underwear and some glasses.

Everything fits and seems to be decent, along the lines of Lidl's. I'll be using the shorts for summer commuting, so as long as they'll be OK for an hour, I'm happy.

I'm well kitted out with Lidl and Aldi Jerseys now, I was out in a Lidl one today, one of the long sleeve ones from last autumn. The length of the body is huge, Aldi's are more the correct length.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    I picked up a jersey, socks, arm warmers and a rucksack, as I dont have one for the gym, oh and a packable jacket, saved me a fortune, looks ok gear aswell to be honest, the shoes, well, not for me, thats for sure :D
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • The compression underwear top is very good quality, tried it out today with just a short sleeve top and was surprised how well it preformed. Lightweight, breathable and close fitting. (was not too hot or cold and no build up of sweat like you get when you wear anything cotton as a base layer) for £6.99 its a bargain. Preformed no better or worse than the Endura and Gore base layers I wear. The only downside is they only had them in navy blue and I would have preferred White or Black. Also picked up some fingerless gloves to use as a spare pair as I'm a bugger for not being able to find my gear when I'm in a rush. There's no gel pads so pretty cheap quality but, for £3.99 what do you expect. If you like red wine try their Toro Loco Tempranillo. Voted one of the top wines for 2012.
  • Ginger81
    Ginger81 Posts: 13
    Guys, I got a jacket last year for £12.... Still going strong nowadays.... Good stuff. Pack able waterproof here I come...
  • IainGamer
    IainGamer Posts: 12
    Me and the wife got some bits aswell yesterday including the helmets, but the wife really unsure of the helmets as they were only a tender.

What do people think? Is it worth paying 20-30 more for a branded one and are they much safer?

Cheers
  • R0B75
    R0B75 Posts: 376
    They will have a safety certificate or they would not be allowed to sell them in the UK so they won't be any less safe than any other cycle helmet. You pay for other things when spending more on a helmet such as lighter weight, quality of materials, brand, and air flow/cooling etc. The helmet will be fine so as long as it fits and looks decent, don't worry.
  • IainGamer
    IainGamer Posts: 12
    Thanks!