3 Best Holiday destinations and why ?

Comments

• bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    neilrobins wrote:
    Hong Kong, from metropolis with ferrys to mountain cable cars to Mediterranean style beach resorts. Incredible food, friendly people.
    Capri, best for short relaxing breaks.
    Abersoch, childhood memories, boats, fishing

I thought Capri was hot, a bit smelly, crowded and expensive without any nice beaches.....!!
  • neilrobins
    neilrobins Posts: 102
    The key to enjoying Capri is waiting until after 6pm when the last of the day trip boats heads off, the prices in the bars and resturants can drop, a quietness descends. Despite the crowds it's still very very pretty
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I had a capri once.
    Living MY dream.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    VTech wrote:
    I had a capri once.

Awesome cars.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • VTech
    I wish I had a garage full of tickfords right now !
    Living MY dream.
  • declan1
    VTech wrote:
    I wish I had a garage full of tickfords right now !

My dad used to have a Capri 1.6 Laser and an RS Turbo - awesome cars :D

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• VTech
    I had to write some software for 3 997 Porsches today and a GT3 RS today and in the garage was a mint series 1 RST.
    Living MY dream.
  • declan1
    VTech wrote:
    I had to write some software for 3 997 Porsches today and a GT3 RS today and in the garage was a mint series 1 RST.

Oooooooh :D:D

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Bwgan
    Bwgan Posts: 389
    Hey Cleat,

Next time you're in Llanduno bring you're bike and ou can show me where these bikini clad women are!
  • VTech
    if porkas are your thing.

oak2p.jpg
    Living MY dream.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    1, Cornwall, out of season.

2, Amsterdam, you know what you're getting and every now and again it's good to have a few days there.

3, Maui, great beaches, relaxed local culture and pretty much faultless all round, plus you're a cheap flight away from the other Islands.
  • declan1
    VTech wrote:
    if porkas are your thing.

oak2p.jpg

Wow.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    1. Bangkok- lots of reasons to go and i seem to be popular with the ladies there! :D
    2. Hanoi- just crazy, northern Vietnam is stunning
    3. Essaouira- great place to chill out, pretty good for cycling too
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 867
    Of all the places I've been

Zanzibar - the place is faultless. Just paradise!
    Majorca - great place & fab for cycling!
    Exmoor - Went a lot as a kid & have fond memories. Might have changed since then but i hope not.

Off to the Alps in a couple of months, can't wait!
  • bernithebiker

Exmoor - Went a lot as a kid & have fond memories. Might have changed since then but i hope not.

We went to Zanzibar in 1994 - was amazing. I've often wondered how much it's changed since - there were hardly any hotels then. Hired a moto X bike and went across the island, had to buy petrol from the village chief's can, had a crowd of hundreds!
    Majorca - great place.
    Exmoor....er.......
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 867

We went to Zanzibar in 1994 - was amazing. I've often wondered how much it's changed since - there were hardly any hotels then. Hired a moto X bike and went across the island, had to buy petrol from the village chief's can, had a crowd of hundreds!
    Majorca - great place.
    Exmoor....er.......

I was there for about i week or so i guess, in 1998. Bit of a sporadic thing after finishing some voluntary work in Tanzania & had visa still to use up. The main thing i remember is the amazing late evening seafood bbq's on the shore. Best food i've ever had!! The beaches were also incredible & the general chilled atmosphere in the whole place, really great vibe. I ended up leaving a load of my travelling gear for a month with someone who called himself 'Mr Banana', who then took us on a trip of the island - & then asked me to take his gorgeous daughter out for a date. Those were the days! The hotels / beach shacks were really nice, but quaint & not flashy, & the cocktail bars lots of fun too.

Yeah, Exmoor is just a boyhood nostalgia thing.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Santorini - Just to sit on one of terraces of Thira, overlooking the caldera, watching the sun set is quite magical.

Kenya - Lions, Cheetahs, Elephants etc etc. Went in late 80s when it was safer to visit.

Rome - Just a great city, except for the pick pockets.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • bernithebiker
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Kenya - Lions, Cheetahs, Elephants etc etc. Went in late 80s when it was safer to visit.

I lived in Mombasa for a year in 1980, and it was great kind of the hay day for Kenya. But stopped over in the mid '90s on the way to Zanzibar, and it had gone well downhill. Not sure if they've picked their game up now or not, but then it was a complete dive, very depressing.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    In no particular order;

The Maldives
    Antigua
    The Lake District
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Connemara, Ireland

theres no where i've been more beautiful rugged bleak and calming, and I've been to a lot of places in my time.

I should also mention i am of Irish descent but even so this is an amazing place
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • anonymousblackfg
    anonymousblackfg Posts: 2,029
    1. Japan, I can only imagine it's not up here more due to people having never been, incredible and not that expensive. A conveyorbelt sushi restaurant is £1 a plate, your green tea is free and it's rude to tip
    2. Tobago Cays (not that easy to get to)
    3. Vienna in the snow
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    VTech wrote:

3) Singapore.
    Visually stunning, culturally diverse and although incredibly expensive, there are ways to get there, stay and eat at a reasonable cost giving a fantastic break.

You'll have to go there one day, then. Might be a disappointment.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    edited October 2013
    Every country has something different and special...but if picking just 3 would say ...
    1, Japan ...Cherryblossom season in Kyoto and also late Autumn which is just as colorful..Bike hire is widely available through out Japan (inc Mount Fuji area)so you dont need to take yours..Capsule hotels are great especially the location which is usually in the centre of city nightlife.areas.
    2. North thailand espec Thai New year in Chiangmai .Join in with the locals.in a waterfight
    3. In late Feb the rest of the world has Carnivale.while we just have pancakes..Rio .Trinidad(which is my fav ) New Orleans,are mad boozy and raunchy . Venice Mask Carnevale is very classy .
    jc
  • VTech
    pliptrot wrote:
    VTech wrote:

3) Singapore.
    Visually stunning, culturally diverse and although incredibly expensive, there are ways to get there, stay and eat at a reasonable cost giving a fantastic break.

You'll have to go there one day, then. Might be a disappointment.

It must have been in my mind :)
    Living MY dream.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Barmouth. Sea, mountains and old fashioned "seaside".

West Coast Ireland (altho' it is over 35 years since I toured the entire length of the RoI coast and it has no doubt changed).

Inland Morocco. Interesting!

(And for those who thrive on edgy paranoia, Tehran - especially recommended at the height of the Iran v Iraq fixture!)
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    Of the places I have been:
    1. Tortola, British Virgin Islands - gorgeous beaches, spectacular scenery, great surfing (one side of the island is the caribbean sea, the other is the atlantic) and cheap beer although the food is expensive. I was fortunate to stay there for 3 weeks when a friend was working there a few years ago.
    2. The French Alps in the summer for the cycling. The scenery together with the usually great weather and great camp sites makes for an ideal destination. I particuarly liked Bourg St Maurice as two of my favourite climbs, the Cormet de Roseland and the Col D'Iseran are just on your doorstep.
    3. Las Vegas - I have been twice and just love the decadence although I couldn't stay longer than about 5 nights.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Maldives - superb scuba diving for big wild life.
    Cayman Islands - as above but scenic diving.
    Bali - fantastic scenery and culture.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    1. Sicily - Like Nancy said everything Italian is cool

2. US - Florida did the Disney with kids and LV won a seat at the WSOP back in 2002 (did not get in the money) Cheap and good food, friendly people, good weather.

3. Norfolk Broads - Can't beat relaxing on a boat.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    meagain wrote:
    West Coast Ireland (altho' it is over 35 years since I toured the entire length of the RoI coast and it has no doubt changed).
    I did it about 8 years ago and doubt it has changed at all. :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    daviesee wrote:
    meagain wrote:
    I did it about 8 years ago and doubt it has changed at all. :P

I bet it's fookin raining....

My top three....

Anna Maria island, Florida gulf coast, cos its sunny, warm and quiet, and we had a fantastic lazy time

Italy, went this year, great weather, nice friendly people

Denmark, probably won't return but had three great family holidays there, tivoli gardens in Copenhagen is great