Road Rage + assault, cops do nothing.

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    You're confusing "he deserved it" (which he didn't) with "he could have avoided that" (which he could have by not being a dick).

The objective of every ride is to get home in one piece. Matey boy in the video seems to regard the objective of riding as being to confront drivers.

What, like spending 30secs in the middle of the road, ironically oblivious to your surroundings, shouting at a driver to put down his phone....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6_VMdBeN84

/facepalm

I especially liked how he was scrutinising every driver until he found one that was doing something he disapproved of.
  • AAAADIJdn1cAAAAAAFyQAA.jpg?v=1247756896000

He's in town.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • http://www.bikebiz.com/index.php/news/r ... cks/014718
    BikeBiz.com contacted the business by email to ask whether the driver who committed the assault - seen in the video and stills wearing a company sweatshirt - was still connected with the company and may, perhaps, be one of the company principals? No reply has yet been received.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,944
    Road rager let off cos of police rules suffers from Twitter attacks

Seriously?

Cos?

Cos?

*leaves thread muttering*
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    notsoblue wrote:
    You're confusing "he deserved it" (which he didn't) with "he could have avoided that" (which he could have by not being a dick).

The objective of every ride is to get home in one piece. Matey boy in the video seems to regard the objective of riding as being to confront drivers.

What, like spending 30secs in the middle of the road, ironically oblivious to your surroundings, shouting at a driver to put down his phone....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6_VMdBeN84

/facepalm

I especially liked how he was scrutinising every driver until he found one that was doing something he disapproved of.

He seems to have major issues with some pretty unobjectionable driving:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOiwBkfDqus
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeUT0-8L3Og

And I like this one, when he himself is sitting in the "BUS ONLY" lane:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKwQtpAMkfw
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    These threads are total Groundhog Day threads how many have we seen?

In summary:
    Something happens: mybrekkie posts it with total outrage, the rest of us are usually 50/50 as to whether it was that bad or not.
    Cyclist often acts like a bit of a dick (done it myself when cross with a motorist, takes a real zen merchant not have the odd red mist)
    Motorist totally overreacts with violence. Nobody ever says that motorist was in the right, but a few people point out that cyclist was provocative. This does not excuse the driver, just highlights the reality of the situation in the world we live in.

Mybrekkie spends entire thread ranting purely about drivers actions and arguing with anyone who even remotely points out how cyclist inflamed it.

Repeat ad nauseum

If you leave your door unlocked and get burgled, no one thinks that the burglar isn't wrong, but they point out the role you played in you're own demise....this is the real world we live in.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ian.B wrote:
    He seems to have major issues with some pretty unobjectionable driving:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOiwBkfDqus
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeUT0-8L3Og

He's a complete fuck1ing helmet.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    The true summary for this is quite simple; BlackCountryBikeCam is a right muppet
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    PBo wrote:

In summary:
    Something happens: mybrekkie posts it with total outrage, the rest of us are usually 50/50 as to whether it was that bad or not.
    Cyclist often acts like a bit of a dick (done it myself when cross with a motorist, takes a real zen merchant not have the odd red mist)
    Motorist totally overreacts with violence. Nobody ever says that motorist was in the right, but a few people point out that cyclist was provocative. This does not excuse the driver, just highlights the reality of the situation in the world we live in.

Mybrekkie spends entire thread ranting purely about drivers actions and arguing with anyone who even remotely points out how cyclist inflamed it.

Repeat ad nauseum

If you leave your door unlocked and get burgled, no one thinks that the burglar isn't wrong, but they point out the role you played in you're own demise....this is the real world we live in.

^-^ Thats the whole thread summed up right there.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • PBo wrote:

In summary:

Repeat ad nauseum

Yep.

It's fecking brilliant, isn't it? :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Ian.B wrote:
    Depends on the local authority. In Coventry cyclists are allowed to use all Bus lanes whether explicitly signed or not.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    But you know, there is something a bit odd about these threads...

The cyclist happens to be a dick, granted.
    In this case at least, I dont think any reasonable person could conclude he did anything to REMOTELY merit a slapping.
    I think we all agree though that the driver is MORE of a dick (anyone going to take the other side of that?)
    Yet more words are spent having a go at the cyclist than the driver.

Why is that?
    I think its because we find cycling more interesting and we slot in to thinking about what we would do/have done in that situation. Perfectly sensible and understandable.

And yet, if you come cold to the thread it does look the conversation tends to excuse or explain away the drivers thuggish behaviour. Which I know is not anyone's intention. But I do see how Brekkie gets riled by that a bit.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    I've only seen the video with the sound turned off but from what I've seen, the driver is 100% in the wrong...and before the actual assult did he actually try and door him first? Or was he merely trying to beat the crap out of him earlier?

Should be a prison sentence in my book. What would have happened if the cyclist hadn't escaped onto the pavement? Would he have been run over and murdered?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've only seen the video with the sound turned off but from what I've seen, the driver is 100% in the wrong...and before the actual assult did he actually try and door him first? Or was he merely trying to beat the crap out of him earlier?

Should be a prison sentence in my book. What would have happened if the cyclist hadn't escaped onto the pavement? Would he have been run over and murdered?
    Me too, no sound on work computer but it doesn't look like the cyclist did anything that warranted assault. There are some utterly aggressive idiots on the road who simply seem to see a cyclist and the red mist descends.

This morning as I waited at a red light at the roundabout at the bottom of Traf Square, a taxi and a cyclist seem to clip each other, not sure exactly what happened, I heard a clunk and look round to see that both had stopped. It was a low speed impact and the cyclist was still upright but I think both wanted to survey any damage to their vehicles so they stopped literally for a matter of 10 seconds. In that time, a guy in a beaten up van a couple of vehicles back was literally yelling profanities out of the window of the van and leaning on the horn. Unbelievable. I don't know how people get themselves so worked up at 7.45am...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • danlikesbikes

Not sure about the door thing, looks like the driver was getting out of the car rather than trying to door the cyclists & when you see the enraged driver probably safe to say he was getting out of the car to hit the cyclists but ended up getting back into the van and chasing up to the cyclist again and getting out to hit him.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I wonder if all the criticism of the cyclist is an attempt by some posters to convince themselves that this couldn't happen to them?

The cases that spring to mind as similar are:
    -That one in London with the guys on the charity ride, where the owner of the car claimed his car had been stolen and then returned so he didn't know who the driver/attacker was. The driver was only identified when the clip went viral.

-and my attack, where I was riding along, car beeps at me, I ignore it and carry on, he overtakes, side swipes me then gets out and punches me. He told the police "there was a cyclist in the road, I beeped my horn but he didn't move out of the way so I punched him"!

But if people can try to put some blame (he could have avoided it if...) on the victim then they can convince themselves that because they don't have an airzound or a YouTube account then they're safe.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,324
    You're wrong bails. And if you don't give way and admit it, I will come and punch you, and it will all be your fault because you have a camera.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    pangolin wrote:
    You're wrong bails. And if you don't give way and admit it, I will come and punch you, and it will all be your fault because you have a camera.

Put your username into yowtyowbe (yamyam YouTube) tomorrow and you'll see what's wrong with your posting!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • danlikesbikes
    bails87 wrote:
    I wonder if all the criticism of the cyclist is an attempt by some posters to convince themselves that this couldn't happen to them?

The cases that spring to mind as similar are:
    -That one in London with the guys on the charity ride, where the owner of the car claimed his car had been stolen and then returned so he didn't know who the driver/attacker was. The driver was only identified when the clip went viral.

-and my attack, where I was riding along, car beeps at me, I ignore it and carry on, he overtakes, side swipes me then gets out and punches me. He told the police "there was a cyclist in the road, I beeped my horn but he didn't move out of the way so I punched him"!

But if people can try to put some blame (he could have avoided it if...) on the victim then they can convince themselves that because they don't have an airzound or a YouTube account then they're safe.

I don't feel that safe myself on the road after being knocked off a few times & it is never nice. However I am under no illusion that as in life we share this earth with some people who think that actions such as the driver are an acceptable response.

I do think that any blame apportioned to the cyclist is in relation to considering him as contributing factor to the end situation & depending on your views will depend on if you believe this and if so as to how much of a factor.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    How the hell do you manage to get 6 pages out of this thread!?

It could happen to me, it hasn't, and I hope it doesn't. If it does then I will look at myself and question whether:

i: There was any provocative behaviour on my part.

ii: What I could have done differently.

I might fall upon the conclusion that there was nothing I could have done differently, and the person was a nutter.

In summary:

Repeat ad nauseum

Most reasoned, measured and rational post in the whole thread.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,351
    I completely agree with PBo. In answer to why we are spending more time analysing the cyclists actions I think it's because everybody is in agreement that the driver is completely wrong, but we are debating what we would do in similar circumstances, what he could have done to diffuse the situation. The cyclist didn't deserve a slap for that, not by a long chalk. But he could chill a bit, for the sake of his stress levels at least.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,739
    I suppose the question is would he have still got thumped (for holding the van driver up a bit) if he hadn't beeped his horn at him. Maybe not, but I'm not sure I'd bet against it.

While I'm all for turning the other cheek, largely through necessity, having to just put up with aggression and outright violence from a minority of other roadusers sticks in my craw.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • danlikesbikes
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I completely agree with PBo. In answer to why we are spending more time analysing the cyclists actions I think it's because everybody is in agreement that the driver is completely wrong, but we are debating what we would do in similar circumstances, what he could have done to diffuse the situation. The cyclist didn't deserve a slap for that, not by a long chalk. But he could chill a bit, for the sake of his stress levels at least.

Good point.

At the beginning of the video think if the cyclist had pulled up behind the van, its driver may not have even seen him and the rest of the video could have been a lot different.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    At the beginning of the video think if the cyclist had pulled up behind the van, its driver may not have even seen him and the rest of the video could have been a lot different.
    Right up until the point he didn't keep himself safe further down the road.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717

Quite possibly.

And also if he hadn't cycled but had walked or got a bus like that neanderthal probably thinks he should have then the video would have been a lot different too.

Don't get me wrong, I would have done things differently - I don't have a stupid horn and I filter down the centre rather than squeeze past parked cars - but if you really wanted to appease pillocks like that you wouldnt ride a bike at all.
  • danlikesbikes
    PostieJohn wrote:

Yes I get what you mean as he does seem to be a susceptible to roadside arguments with other road users looking at his other videos.

However the van driver who also seems to be susceptible to sporadic outbursts of violence would have been well down the road & no doubt been taking out his frustration on some other road user further down the road if he genuinely does have such anger management issues.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    PostieJohn wrote:

Yes I get what you mean as he does seem to be a susceptible to roadside arguments with other road users looking at his other videos.

However the van driver who also seems to be susceptible to sporadic outbursts of violence would have been well down the road & no doubt been taking out his frustration on some other road user further down the road if he genuinely does have such anger management issues.

and when they met it was ... murder.

(to think there are young'uns who haven't even heard of Max & Highway the dog)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Someone said earlier in the thread that the two were going to go on a group ride together as part of the driver's punnishment.

Now, if someone had given me a slap and then driven off and I had the opportunity to see that person again.... The temptation to go upside their head may be too great... Of course I have a lot to lose but how do these nutters keep getting away with having a fight and rational people don't?

Half the time I don't fight is because I'd probably end up in jail for going Hulk, sprouting six claws and tipping the guy's car over.... (like today, when a guy called me a effing idiot because he was about to drive right across me, so I called him a effing c*nt).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • danlikesbikes
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Someone said earlier in the thread that the two were going to go on a group ride together as part of the driver's punnishment.

Now, if someone had given me a slap and then driven off and I had the opportunity to see that person again.... The temptation to go upside their head may be too great... Of course I have a lot to lose but how do these nutters keep getting away with having a fight and rational people don't?

Half the time I don't fight is because I'd probably end up in jail for going Hulk, sprouting six claws and tipping the guy's car over.... (like today, when a guy called me a effing idiot because he was about to drive right across me, so I called him a effing c*nt).

If you were sneaky you would just keep uping the speed on the bike till its nice and fast then just lean over into him making him crash, but that would be unfair & not nice to do to someone.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    and when they met it was ... murder.

" Moider", surely!

Sorry, as you were. :D