Possible crack?

lugsey2k5
lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
edited May 2014 in MTB general
Hello.
My zesty 514 2010 was creaking like crazy again today, it was making a horrific creak two rides ago so i cleaned the bb bearings and that sorted it. Today was a different creak, i had my headphones in so cant remember if it did it both when pedaling and freewheeling. When i got back upon inspection i found this.

20130421_143947_zps7e26d28c.jpg

20130421_143934_zpsf56f0366.jpg

20130421_143924_zps9b70661f.jpg

20130421_131941_zps1386d096.jpg

As you can see its just below the front mech behind the BB.
i intend to take it to a dealer but the nearest if a fair distance away so just thought id ask peoples opinion on here out of curiosity.
Hard to tell if its cracked or iv dropped the chain and its dug in cracking the paint and putting a small gouge in the carbon.

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Doesn't look good. Can you see any splintering in the carbon? If your camera has a macro setting, see if you can get right up clsoe.

My phone has a magnifier app, I use it to examine welds, is great!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Looks cracked to me.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    nicklouse wrote:
    Looks cracked to me.

I concur, that's more than just paint damage.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    That is one filthy bike.
  • lugsey2k5
    Oi..... i just cleaned that! The brown stuff next to it is the glue they used to stick an alloy plate on to protect from chain suck.

Not the best picture: Untitled_zpse18949d9.jpg

Iv tapped all around it but its hard to tell if the dull sound where the damage is is due to cracking or the paint delaminating from the carbon.

Rang Evans which are about the closest and im taking it down tomorrow.

Really hoping this doesn't leave me bike less for a while!
  • lugsey2k5
    2_zpseccb8bb3.jpg
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Looks like a crack and judging by the fact it's a lapierre I'd say it's pretty likely thats what it is.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Looks like it's taken a whack. Is that a tiny bit of leaf embedded in the crack?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lugsey2k5
    No i think that's green paint of the Knife i was using to tap it.
    Its behind the crank and bash so would struggle to hit it on anything.

PS, rode Swinley on it today, the creaking helped warn the huge trains heading round the blue i was coming though:P
  • Looks like a ricochet from an SA81. Do you ride near army ranges at Swinley? They can't usually hit anything so you are quite safe.
  • lugsey2k5
    I wondered why those bushes were walking around and had faces
  • You sure it wasn't a gypsy "bird" walking backwards ?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I see carbon fibres.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Looks busted. I'd stay off it in case of a catastrophic failure.

Also:
    lugsey2k5 wrote:
    . . . i had my headphones in so cant remember if it did it both when pedaling and freewheeling . . .
    You miss a lot like this.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • lugsey2k5
    Swinley is far too dull a ride to ride alone without headphones.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It is an ex-frame, it has ceased to be, bought the farm, pushing up the daisy's (etc etc)

How old is it?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lugsey2k5
    It's 2010 so still in warranty. Hoping the Evans cycles I take it to after work is a decent one and get them chasing up the warranty.
  • lugsey2k5
    Dropped it in with Evans. Just have to wait and see now what happens.
  • jsync
    jsync Posts: 120
    I see carbon fibres.

original.0.jpg
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    jsync wrote:
    I see carbon fibres.

original.0.jpg

That would be, I see dead carbon fibres. Which you don't need a sixth sense for :D
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • lugsey2k5
    Just a quick update.

After 3 weeks of me constantly ringing up only to be told they have heard nothing off Hotlines, it turns out Evans email only arrived last Friday due to issues with there system!
    Hotlines replied quite quickly saying it will likely be a replacement chain stay but would be black due to not having any more white 2010 ones in stock any more, But they are still waiting for confirmation from Lapierre.

Does any one know if the 2012 Zesty frame has internal routing for a stealth dropper? Im looking at getting a dropper but being 6' 5" i want the 150mm drop one which only comes in stealth iirc?
  • lugsey2k5
    Evans finally contacted me today, Hotlines are sending out a new chain stay, probably from a 2012 or 13 bike.
    7 weeks without a bike was painful
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Evans are notoriously slow with these things.
  • 7 weeks!! I feel for you! I'm just into week 3 after my carbon frame decided to part company with the non drive side of the bb shell. Evans instantly mentioned crash damage!?? and said the frame needed to go to ASI for inspection. What they actually meant was we'll strip the bike, and leave it in the corner for two weeks until you ring again and then we'll send it to Germany.... bunch of jokers!!

are you going to ask them to make sure the bike is all one colour?? :lol:
  • lugsey2k5
    The chain stay week be black sadly.
    It was 3 weeks before they reaslised they had sent it to the wrong email. Then all I ever got was that the guy assessing it was very busy. All they did is send pictures so not that much to assess.
  • I asked them why it was taking so long and they came back with "we arent in the business of giving away free bikes" sorry!?? what!!??? lol I nearly fell over! They really are shocking... fingers crossed for a speedy delivery for you!
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I asked them why it was taking so long and they came back with "we arent in the business of giving away free bikes" sorry!?? what!!??? lol I nearly fell over! They really are shocking... fingers crossed for a speedy delivery for you!

if they actually said that then its one of the most appauling examples of customer treatment I've ever heard of. tell them you're not in the business of buying a bike to not ride it and see what they say.

better still, tell them you are in the business of buying bikes off a bunch of feckless twunts, which is why you came straight to them.
  • that's what I did, I e-mailed this bloke, peter Kimberley, and ranted for a good few pages. 5 mins later the head of customer services called and said I'd have an update tomorrow. we'll see.... lol
  • rgliniany
    rgliniany Posts: 753
    that's what I did, I e-mailed this bloke, peter Kimberley, and ranted for a good few pages. 5 mins later the head of customer services called and said I'd have an update tomorrow. we'll see.... lol

dave please dont take this the wrong way.... but if the attitude you are putting across in your updates is the same as you are giving the people working on your case... i can see why they are dragging their heels.... i understand that it is a really rubbish situation to be in.... without a bike waiting for answers..... but the chain of command usually slows the higher up you go.... i have been one of the people on the receiving end of technical issues not being sorted in the timescale that people expect.... its understandable for somebody to have a rant at you to begin with.... but i found that the people that then realised just speaking calmly and listening to what i was explaining helped to get the issue fixed in a much quicker time..... the people that had their backs up from the get go and didnt want to work together to fix the issue.... generally got nowhere and hung up without a fix......

i was always brought up to speak to others like i would want them to speak to my mum.....

and if you say anything bad to her :twisted: im gonna be on ya like a spider monkey :lol:
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike