David Harmon Eurosport

Comments

• phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128

If you get no info about time gaps, get the co commentator to do rough timings off tv with a watch.

One of the most misinformed things I've read on these boards.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • stanislav
    stanislav Posts: 1,151
    One of carltons faves,
    13.6 TO GO,WHO`S JOINING THE PARTY!
    PTP winner 2015.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    phil s wrote:

If you get no info about time gaps, get the co commentator to do rough timings off tv with a watch.

quoted for the giggles.

What Chasey said seemed reasonable to me though....

Edit- did Boardman not get the stopwatch out during the 'Lympics?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Magnus Backstedt said something similar today did he not?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Kirby used to annoy but he's grown on me - he's very sharp - "Everywhere you look if you look hard enough.....you'll find a kilt" - he's very professional, as is Harmon.

But here's a thing - he can come up with memorable lines that associate enthusiasm with an event - he;s good PR, his tour of turkey was as memorable as liggets 'its roche' commentary. I cant really recall Harmon doing that - he does know the riders though does harmon which is a bonus. :D

In teh absence of harmon my fave coupling would be Kirkby with Smith, Kirkby with Kelly with Rendell on a moped. :mrgreen:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Thatcher's to blame ...
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I like Kirby for his titbits on long dullish flat GT stages, and that Tour of Turkey commentary was pretty good (although, he didn't really call it that accurately!). Yesterday, he just seemed too pumped up and too full of energy, I think maybe the occasion got to him?

I think another thing to bear in mind, is that the commentary teams always want to inject excitement into the race, and therefore they make calls which are often questionable to the die-hard fans.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Carlton is alright and can be entertaining when there's no action but also be tedious other times. Point on the BW bike change last week seeing as how Wiggo uses a power meter on the climbs I think it was a valid point to commentate on.

His commentary from Tour of Turkey when Iljo Keisse win the stage was a classic.

I put money on no-one here could do his job.

Actually I bet I could, just need to suss out how I can get the opportunity. So if your watching Monsieur Eurosport please give me a call.

I've done lots of race announcing for triathlons, ski races, sportives, criteriums and MTB events, and although it is a different skill set to commentating, the main thing you have to be able to reliably do is talk for 4 -5 hours without swearing, offending or simply being a d!ck. Chatting live on air for 3 hours plus you are bound to make mistakes. Most punters won't notice it but us lot do because we are obsessives.

The multi lingual guys like Carlton / Harmon etc have a big advantage because they can keep up to date with the local tour radio / press etc. Carlton is great during Le Tour, funny as a 1 off for smaller races, but when he is left to talk about the same riders day in day out for 3 weeks then obviously we begin to get iritated by him.

Stick Cleat, Rich and Iain in a room for one of the races and record their chat, I bet it will be as equally informed as the best of Harmon and as poorly called as the worst of Phigget.

For my money the best commentator of the lot is 5lives Simon Brotherton.
  • alan_a
    Oh and another thing...

Harmon - there was speculation a while back that he is INRNG. As we all know Inrng is by far the best informed cycling blog on the net, it deserves a much bigger profile. Assuming Harmon is the blog's author could this break have something to do with a new bigger better all singing all dancing inrng?

or

Will we have the delight of his commentary on ITV this summer. It makes perfect sense. If you were in charge of ITV's biggest summer sports audience for 2013 you would want rid of the embarrassment that is Phil and Paul and be prepared to spend money for Harmon.

I'd miss his dulcet tones during the day time but love them for the evening highlights.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Alan A wrote:
    Oh and another thing...

Harmon - there was speculation a while back that he is INRNG. As we all know Inrng is by far the best informed cycling blog on the net, it deserves a much bigger profile. Assuming Harmon is the blog's author could this break have something to do with a new bigger better all singing all dancing inrng?

or

Will we have the delight of his commentary on ITV this summer. It makes perfect sense. If you were in charge of ITV's biggest summer sports audience for 2013 you would want rid of the embarrassment that is Phil and Paul and be prepared to spend money for Harmon.

I'd miss his dulcet tones during the day time but love them for the evening highlights.

What makes you think that ITV would want rid of their current team? Sorry not trolling just curious.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    Alan A wrote:

I'd eat my hat if Harmon is the Inner Ring. Completely different types of people. My betting would be that Inner Ring is a lawyer of some description, but that is idle speculation.
  • alan_a
    1. Politics - Ligget's brown nosing of Armstrong, refusal to sever ties with him and constant referencing of him during commentary.

2. Ability - Ligget's increasingly incorrect calling of riders making breaks or sprints.

3. Public opinion - The general consensus is that the ITV highlights package is far superior to Eurosport's / NOS / TV3 etc. The reason for this is the personnel ITV have at their disposal; Gary Imlach is a peerless with a razor sharp turn of phrase, Chris Boardman is the most articulate summariser in TV sport - his position at head of secret squirell club aslo ensures he has lots of inside knowledge, Ned Boulting is a great reporter / interviewer and Matt Rendall's encyclopaedic knowledge of the riders palmares is second to none. What lets ITV down is the errors, platitudes and waffle spouted by the 2 people who get the most screen time. Loved them in the 80's 90's and 00's.... time to be put out to pasture now.
  • danlikesbikes
    edited April 2013
    Alan A wrote:
    1. Politics - Ligget's brown nosing of Armstrong, refusal to sever ties with him and constant referencing of him during commentary.

2. Ability - Ligget's increasingly incorrect calling of riders making breaks or sprints.

3. Public opinion - The general consensus is that the ITV highlights package is far superior to Eurosport's / NOS / TV3 etc. The reason for this is the personnel ITV have at their disposal; Gary Imlach is a peerless with a razor sharp turn of phrase, Chris Boardman is the most articulate summariser in TV sport - his position at head of secret squirell club aslo ensures he has lots of inside knowledge, Ned Boulting is a great reporter / interviewer and Matt Rendall's encyclopaedic knowledge of the riders palmares is second to none. What lets ITV down is the errors, platitudes and waffle spouted by the 2 people who get the most screen time. Loved them in the 80's 90's and 00's.... time to be put out to pasture now.

I can see that point 1 may be a bit embarrassing to ITV in hindsight but don't think that would cause them to get rid. Point 2 sounds like half the comments to this thread i.e. you either like or dislike a commentator again would be a 50/50 call and as such doubt that would cause them to get rid. Point 3 really is similar to point 2 as some people will have that opinion and others do not I'm not sure its 50/50 but again if its split I doubt that would give ITV cause for concern.

Agree with you about Gary, Chris & Matt all good points but thats my opinion & sure that others will not agree with you and me and tell us their bad points.

Edit: Just noticed I missed off Ned :oops: now where is that hangs head in shame emoji
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    phil s wrote:

How come? ? I do it sitting on my sofa. Now for sure, I'm not also speaking into a mic and thinking of stuff to say, but still.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Alan A wrote:

I can see that point 1 may be a bit embarrassing to ITV in hindsight but don't think that would cause them to get rid. Point 2 sounds like half the comments to this thread i.e. you either like or dislike a commentator again would be a 50/50 call and as such doubt that would cause them to get rid. Point 3 really is similar to point 2 as some people will have that opinion and others do not I'm not sure its 50/50 but again if its split I doubt that would give ITV cause for concern.

Agree with you about Gary, Chris & Matt all good points but thats my opinion & sure that others will not agree with you and me and tell us their bad points.

Point 2 is not really opinion is it, Alan A is right, Liggett gets a lot wrong, he doesn't comment on whether or not he likes or dislikes him.
  • phil s
    edited April 2013

How come? ? I do it sitting on my sofa. Now for sure, I'm not also speaking into a mic and thinking of stuff to say, but still.

You believe that speaking into a mic, thinking of stuff to say, processing information that's in constant flux, not knowing what will happen next, or indeed what shot you will see next on your small screen, all whilst wearing headphones and getting third parties speaking to you through those headphones, knowing also that millions of people are listening to you and that your mortgage depends on it is easy?
  • danlikesbikes
    dougzz wrote:

Point 2 is not really opinion is it, Alan A is right, Liggett gets a lot wrong, he doesn't comment on whether or not he likes or dislikes him.

Fair comment there just reread 2 and guess my response does suggest opinion.

I guess it would be fairer to say that like this thread (concerning Harmon like/dislike of as a commentator) that Liggett's mistakes are more often called out as wrong by his distractors whereas those who actually like his commentary are less likely to suggest that option 2 would be a reason to get rid of him.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    phil s wrote:
    You believe that speaking into a mic, thinking of stuff to say, processing information that's in constant flux, not knowing what will happen next, or indeed what shot you will see next on your small screen, all whilst wearing headphones and getting third parties speaking to you through those headphones, knowing also that millions of people are listening to you and that your mortgage depends on it is easy?

I don't think anyone has even suggested that, to be fair.

Back in the days of David Duffield, he was always talking about setting his stopwatch going whenever the breakaway went under a bridge or through a village or whatever. It worked 20 years ago, why wouldn't it work now?
  • phil s
    afx237vi wrote:

I don't think anyone has even suggested that, to be fair.

Back in the days of David Duffield, he was always talking about setting his stopwatch going whenever the breakaway went under a bridge or through a village or whatever. It worked 20 years ago, why wouldn't it work now?

There is a lot of presumption about how "easy" commentating is, or indeed what a "commentator" is. People calling summarisers like Lloydy, Maggy, etc "commentators", for example, when they are there to provide colour.
    How many times in commentary will timings not be available? Not often. How many times in his career did Duffers do the stopwatch trick? How many times did he have to? Not often. To do it, you'd need a fair bit of luck rather than judgement, otherwise you'd just get totally distracted and start rambling on about cheese or wine. Oh, hang on...
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    So, it's Declan Quigley and Sean Kelly for the Giro. Harmon.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • danlikesbikes
    Just watching the racing now & David has just clarified that people misinterpreted his twitter message.

"I am taking some time off before the TDF Was simply that he has moved house and had some life changes & wants to spend some time away...."

So we have our answer. For me V happy as like his commentary and answers my question.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I thought it was a bit non-committal to be honest. What was it he said - I'm back for the TdF, or that's the plan anyway? Something like that wasn't it.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Just watching the racing now & David has just clarified that people misinterpreted his twitter message.

"I am taking some time off before the TDF Was simply that he has moved house and had some life changes & wants to spend some time away...."

So we have our answer. For me V happy as like his commentary and answers my question.

His wife's left him for a narcissistic sports pimp and he's developed a crippling toblerone addiction?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • danlikesbikes
    Just watching the racing now & David has just clarified that people misinterpreted his twitter message.

His wife's left him for a narcissistic sports pimp and he's developed a crippling toblerone addiction?

Well if thats the answer you were looking for
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762

I'm happy with that. Declan Quigley likes cycling, and he's not Carlton Kirby.

My two cents on Kirby: if he just stopped faking knowledge he wouldn't irritate me half as much as he does. And also if he could stop saying "end game", "long game", and describing attackers as "satellite riders".
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    i wish all commentators would stop describing a solo effort as "timetrialing to the finish"
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890

Good Pairing - Quigley knows his stuff and it will be an old boys act with Sean there. they will be both talking faster now :D . Why do irishman wear 2 condoms !!! "to be sure to be sure" 8)
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Kelly & Quigley ... fantastic! I know these guys may accidentally start speaking in Irish or some real hiberno-English, so just to help you guys out, here are some transalations:
    Hiberno-English

There are some words and phrases that, while not in Irish, would not be recognisably English to someone, say, from England. These have developed either from direct translations from Irish into English, or have developed independently since English was introduced into Ireland.

Eejit – n. Idiot
    Gee – n. (Pronounced with a hard “g” as in “gold”, not with a “g” as in “Georgina”.) An offensive term for a woman’s private parts. Used widely and variously.
    Gee-bag – n. A derogatory term; an insult. Based on the word “Gee”, is similar in meaning to “shit-head.”
    Gee-eyed – adj. Extremely drunk.
    Scarlet – adj. Embarrassed, as in red-faced. Usually pronounced by dropping the ‘t’ – scar-leh

Examples:

Quigley: Oh no no no ... I see Wiggins has dropped his chain again
    Kelly: I think he must be gee-eyed

Quigley: Is that Kreuziger out the back
    Kelly: I've said it before, sometimes Cruise-ziger lacks the turst for it
    Quigley: He did win Amstel Gold
    Kelly: He did but I tink his director sporteeve gave him a right fookin drillin

Quigley: Sean, we all know you were a bit fond of a bit of argy-bargy in the sprint?
    Kelly: Em, I wouldnt say that exactly, but sometimes you might come across a gee-bag who wont hold his line. And in doze cases, you need to put the eejit straight
    Quigley: Must have been great craic though?
    Kelly: Certaintly.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    phil s wrote:

Sporza has a special guy for that, Andre Meganck, who works with the two commentators. He times gaps, makes up a rough first results list at the finish, calculates impact on GC, that kind of stuff. In addition, they also often have a third commentator in the race on a motorbike, or in the field at cross races. Add to that truly knowledgeable commentary. No comparison. I think RAI have that third commentator on a motorbike too in the Giro at least
This discussion has been closed.