Flapjack recipes

Davdandy
Davdandy Posts: 571
edited April 2013 in The cake stop
I know the traditional flapjacks recipes use golden syrup,brown sugar,oats and butter but what other flapjacks recipes do you guys use that are tasty as well as nutritious to use on my rideouts in the Summer.

Do you use fruit for instance and how long do they last?

And also include whether they can be frozen or not please.
Cannondale CAAD 8 105
Rockrider 8.1

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Home made ones are great- they seem to go down better than bought ones - I saw a recipe on here where some added dates - a worthy oppponent to the humble raisen (tm) :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Davdandy
    I thought about raisins or sultanas,but i could freeze them i don't think....could i.?
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I use golden syrup. As for lasting...it doesnt get chance to go off.
    Whitworths juicy mixed fruit seems to cook well.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Nuts for added protein, Omega 3 seed mix, dried apricots, dried cranberries, prunes, dates, dried figs, chocolate, honey, maple syrup, molases.

Keep in an airtight container will last over a week or more.

You can freeze anything made with dried fruit no problem.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    Chopped nuts raisins and cinnamon here. Love them but with two kids they don't last long !
    Insert witty signature here
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    You can of course bake your own, but personally speaking Tesco value flapjack which costs 84p for 360g slab is pretty hard to beat.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =258193605
  • Davdandy
    Thanks,i know i could buy them but would like to try my own,that way i know no horse meat will be in the mix. :mrgreen:
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Mash some ripe bananas. Chop dates and salted nuts. Mix a third golden syrup, a third Orange juice and a third melted butter. Mix all ingredients with oats. Grease a baking tray layer half into the tray. Add a layer of dried apricots soaked in water. Top off with the rest of the mixture and bake at a lowish temperature until cooked
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Davdandy
    simonhead wrote:
    Mash some ripe bananas. Chop dates and salted nuts. Mix a third golden syrup, a third Orange juice and a third melted butter. Mix all ingredients with oats. Grease a baking tray layer half into the tray. Add a layer of dried apricots soaked in water. Top off with the rest of the mixture and bake at a lowish temperature until cooked

That sounds nice Simon,especailly with the orange juice.I take it would be unsalted butter you use?
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Is this mumsnet? :lol:
  • team47b
    simonhead wrote:

...soaked in Cointreau

FTFY :D
  • Davdandy
    Would soaking in John Smiths bitter work as well?
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • team47b
    what you or the apricots? :D
  • Davdandy
    I have just made a batch using the original; recipe just to test it out.

They came out ok and tasted fine but a little crumbly,not too dry but when i cut it parts of it fell away.Not a problem at home but if i was to take some out on a ride in my back pocket they would be a pile of crumbs rather than a chewy bar.Is there somewhere i may have gone wrong.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    More syrup.
  • team47b
    butter will set when cold and help hold it together.

Press down hard with the back of a large spoon all over the mix before baking to compress/compact the mixture, this will also help hold it together.

Too bad now you will have to make some more :D
  • Davdandy
    Thanks guys,i think that i didn't compact it enough,to be honest i only lightly pressed it down so maybe that's the answer,i will also add a bit more syrup too.

other than that i wasn't a bad first attempt but i will get it better next time round.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Davdandy
    Another thing i have notices while browsing the web is that some use flour and others don't.The batch i made yesterday had flour,the wife insisted i use it but do i really need it if so many other recipes don't ask for it,what is its purpose?
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • team47b
    The idea of using flour is an American one, they get confused between pancakes and flapjacks :roll:

You don't need flour, but it can be used to help bind jumbo oats together, if you do use it, use wholemeal for slower carb release.

If you want soft flapjacks use a deeper tray, deeper mixture and turn the oven down a bit, if you want crunchy use a shallower baking tray and turn the oven up a bit. Experiment to get the one you prefer, or is easier to eat on a bike.

Unlike bread, always allow flapjacks to totally cool in the tin, this helps them to set more.

You don't get this level of info on mumsnet :D
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    For a savoury option you should try Allen Lim’s rice cakes from ‘The Feed Zone Cook Book’. I make these for the troops and they’re a big hit. Makes a nice change from sugar, sugar and more sugar.

Ingredients:

2 cups cooked sushi rice
    8 ounces bacon
    4 eggs
    2 tablespoons low salt soy sauce
    Brown sugar
    Grated parmesan

Preparation:
    1. Combine rice and water in a rice cooker
    2. While rice is cooking, chop up bacon and fry. When crispy, drain off fat and soak up excess fat with paper towels.
    3. Beat the eggs in a small bowl and then scramble on high heat in a frying pan. Don’t worry about overcooking the eggs as they’ll break up easily when mixed with the rice.
    4. In a large bowl or in the rice cooker bowl, combine the cooked rice, bacon, and scrambled eggs. Add soy sauce and sugar to taste. After mixing, press into an 8- or 9-inch square baking pan to about 1½-inch thickness. Top with more brown sugar, salt to taste, and grated parmesan, if desired.

Cut and wrap individual cakes. Makes about 10 rice cakes.
  • Davdandy
    I like that recipe Greatdivide,sounds yummy. :)
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Davdandy wrote:
    I like that recipe Greatdivide,sounds yummy. :)

They are!

Very popular in the Pro peloton too.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    crispybug2 wrote:
    You can of course bake your own, but personally speaking Tesco value flapjack which costs 84p for 360g slab is pretty hard to beat.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =258193605

hmmm maybe the price, but who can be certain it does not contain transfats?
    You just dont want them in your diet.
    Nobody is suggesting that baking your own is the cheaper option... I cant make it cheaper but then again homebake is not factory bake.
  • I add half a tub of peanut butter.

I also nuts, pine nuts, sunflower seeds

Any dried fruit on offer at the supermarket. Dates, figs, sultanas, cherries.
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    My mate uses this recipe:

Apple and Bacon

200g salted butter
    160g soft brown sugar
    4 tbs golden syrup
    1 pack rindless back bacon chopped
    1 large granny smiths apple (peeled cored and chopped
    500g oats
    1tsb ground cinnamon

Melt the butter in a large pan.
    Add the chopped apple and bacon (sizzle till the apple is soft).
    Add the sugar and heat gently whilst stirring until melted and a dark brown syrupy consistency is achieved.
    Stir in the golden syrup and cinnamon
    Take off the heat and stir in the oats a small amount at a time.

Empty into a large brownie tin and press down.
    Place in the oven at 170 for about 20 mins.
    Cool in the tin and then chop into bars or bite size squares.

Not one *I* can recommend, being a weirdo veggie and all :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • team47b
    160g soft brown sugar
    4 tbs golden syrup...

...and bacon :shock:

recipe looks fine without it :D

Not that I would eat this as another weirdo veggie here
  • Oxo
    Oxo Posts: 144
    I tried making a savoury flapjack using melted butter and grated smoked cheese last week. With a generous sprinkling of Worcestershire sauce over the top, they weren't too bad although possibly a little dry. I'm going to try adding grated carrot and chopped chili next time I think.
    Sunday Best: 2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    Foul Weather: 2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
    Commuter: 1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear
  • Davdandy
    I have made two lots now,the second time i put in a bit more syrup and compacted it better in the tin and it worked really well.

But i am now thinking of a more savoury option,one where i can omit the sugar and syrup,if that is at all possible.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • team47b
    Davdandy wrote:
    But i am now thinking of a more savoury option,one where i can omit the sugar and syrup,if that is at all possible.

savoury coming up...

2 eggs
    50g butter
    150g grated cheese
    150g porridge oats

mix the ingredients and press into a greased 8 inch/20cm tin. Then bake for about 30 to 40 minutes at 180C/Gas 4 until golden brown.

you could add some grated veg, herbs, onion, or anything savoury to this basic flapjack recipe

Suitable for freezing :D
  • Davdandy
    team47b wrote:
    Davdandy wrote:

savoury coming up...

2 eggs
    50g butter
    150g grated cheese
    150g porridge oats

mix the ingredients and press into a greased 8 inch/20cm tin. Then bake for about 30 to 40 minutes at 180C/Gas 4 until golden brown.

you could add some grated veg, herbs, onion, or anything savoury to this basic flapjack recipe

Suitable for freezing :D

Looks good to me,i`ll maybe add a bit of ham.Is the 30/40 min right,the sweet flapjack time is only 20 mins?
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1