How much quicker!?

2»

Comments

• Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Changing the wheel size is for all intents and purposes the same as changing your gearing.

The benefit of 700c wheels are in the nature of the wheel designs and the tyre options available to you.
  • pinkteapot wrote:
    Going back to the point raised earlier again.... Wheel size!

Surely there's a pretty obvious speed gain by using bigger wheels. Larger circumference = greater distance travelled with every single turn of the pedals. OP mentioned that their current bike has 26" wheels and they'll be going up to 700s....

A similar logic might argue that an enormous gear at low cadence is better than a lower one; not necessarily so. Small wheels have been used before; using a 650c front (though for positional reasons) was popular in time trialling at one time before it was banned.

In this case there have been various arguments over the years about different wheel sizes and their rolling and handling. My main bike has 27" wheels, and I find the lack of tyre choice more consequential than anything else.
  • The truth hurts, I know... ;)

Riding at my hardest up a hill yesterday and being totally blown away by a fellow club rider who is 15 years my junior.
    Knowing that, no matter how hard I train, I will never be that quick......
    Yes mate, sometimes the truth hurts :(

Reading other peoples views, which oppose mine, on a cycling forum...

No mate, I find that interesting :)

Polly, Sorry for hijacking your thread :oops:

No worries, the hijack is actually quite entertaining to read.

I've gone for the Verenti Belief. It seems to have a good spec and its weighing in at just under 10kg. I didn't go with the Specialized Allez as the top tube was too long for my stretch - plus I get free Haribo when ordering with Wiggle ;)

I hope the change in wheel size and the lower riding postion will add give me a bit of speed increase (and of course the extra training I've been putting in!)

Thanks to everyone for your input. Feel free to keep going :) I'm learning a fair bit!
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898

No worries, the hijack is actually quite entertaining to read.

I've gone for the Verenti Belief. It seems to have a good spec and its weighing in at just under 10kg. I didn't go with the Specialized Allez as the top tube was too long for my stretch - plus I get free Haribo when ordering with Wiggle ;)

I hope the change in wheel size and the lower riding postion will add give me a bit of speed increase (and of course the extra training I've been putting in!)

Thanks to everyone for your input. Feel free to keep going :) I'm learning a fair bit!

Let us know how you get on with your bike, plus if you feel up to it post a pic in the your bikes section!!!!

Sure you'll love riding it & as you said with the training will soon be breaking those milestones in riding.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • No worries, the hijack is actually quite entertaining to read.

I hope the new bike provides a lot more entertainment than this thread.

Glad the Luddite's didn't put you off :mrgreen:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • FlacVest
    FlacVest Posts: 100
    gangxu wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    at 18MPH over 10 top speed you won't go any faster on a new bike. It will feel nicer to ride though.

Why wouldn't you go faster from having a lighter bike with less rolling resistance? My average speed over 30 miles improved from 15mph to 17mph just by changing from a cheap £300 road bike to a decent carbon framed Trek.

Force = Mass x Acceleration. Surely if the force produced remains the same but mass drops, than acceleration will go up, hence speed. I under the concept of air resistance increasing with speed, but the quality of the bike does make a difference, otherwise everyone might as well go round riding £100 Halford specials.

Except that it only applies when you're ACCELERATING. Not holding an actual speed.

At an actual speed, aerodynamics become a larger player, which STILL don't come into effect until you're hitting 23+mph.

That's why TT bikes are heavy, generally, because when you're going on a flat road, the weight doesn't matter all that much. The friction force isn't that much greater, and aerodynamics, again, is a bigger problem to deal with.

So at 18mph, it probably won't actually help him; the tires will bring about an easier ride... to maybe a mph? But unless he's climbing, it won't be that much of a difference.

He's training, so, hell, ride the MTB until you can hold 20 for a 10 mile ride. THEN get a road bike. You'll have saved up more money by then, and the jump from a MTB at 20mph to a road bike will be huge.

The numbers don't lie though; there's a reason people who show wind tunnel testing do it at 50kmph; because at lower speeds the wattage savings plummet. Deep dish wheels, aero helmets; only beneficial at 25+mph, considering aerodynamics.
  • gangxu
    gangxu Posts: 25
    I suppose the type of terrain makes a difference too, most of the rides around me is up and down (North east Leicestershire/Rutland). Moving from my cheap road bike to a much nicer road bike made a big difference for me, but it was all mainly in the climbs, less weight/stiffer frame/gears that actually changed properly all were welcome improvements. My top speed has stayed much the same tough.
  • FlacVest wrote:
    gangxu wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    at 18MPH over 10 top speed you won't go any faster on a new bike. It will feel nicer to ride though.

Why wouldn't you go faster from having a lighter bike with less rolling resistance? My average speed over 30 miles improved from 15mph to 17mph just by changing from a cheap £300 road bike to a decent carbon framed Trek.

Force = Mass x Acceleration. Surely if the force produced remains the same but mass drops, than acceleration will go up, hence speed. I under the concept of air resistance increasing with speed, but the quality of the bike does make a difference, otherwise everyone might as well go round riding £100 Halford specials.

Except that it only applies when you're ACCELERATING. Not holding an actual speed.

At an actual speed, aerodynamics become a larger player, which STILL don't come into effect until you're hitting 23+mph.

That's why TT bikes are heavy, generally, because when you're going on a flat road, the weight doesn't matter all that much. The friction force isn't that much greater, and aerodynamics, again, is a bigger problem to deal with.

So at 18mph, it probably won't actually help him; the tires will bring about an easier ride... to maybe a mph? But unless he's climbing, it won't be that much of a difference.

He's training, so, hell, ride the MTB until you can hold 20 for a 10 mile ride. THEN get a road bike. You'll have saved up more money by then, and the jump from a MTB at 20mph to a road bike will be huge.

The numbers don't lie though; there's a reason people who show wind tunnel testing do it at 50kmph; because at lower speeds the wattage savings plummet. Deep dish wheels, aero helmets; only beneficial at 25+mph, considering aerodynamics.

Bingo. ;)
  • FlacVest wrote:
    gangxu wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:

Bingo. ;)

So you agree that the tyres alone will bring a 1 mph benefit Simon?

Bingo indeed! :mrgreen:
  • If going from a 900g 26x2.3 to a 260g 700x23, then possibly. :lol:
  • If going from a 900g 26x2.3 to a 260g 700x23, then possibly. :lol:

Blimey we agree on something :D
    While I am on a roll you also appear to agree with this......?
    FlacVest wrote:
    and the jump from a MTB at 20mph to a road bike will be huge.
  • Hello, everyone. I did my TT today...
    On the flats I was averaging 22mph.
    Overall I managed 20mph with a fairly strong headwind.
    So in conclusion I reckon my new road bike has indeed helped me go faster.
    Thanks for the debate! :)
  • Well done - that's not bad at all. :)
    Thanks!
    I did 29.57.
    Had Olympic gold winner Joanna Rowsell overtake me :)
    Thanks!
    I did 29.57.

Well done Polly.
    That's a big effort. 8)
    I bet you have caught the TT bug now?
    By 'huge' you mean...
    I was quoting Flacvest but with this new information shall we agree on 2 mph?
    :mrgreen:
    Thanks!
    I did 29.57.

Well done Polly.
    That's a big effort. 8)
    I bet you have caught the TT bug now?
    By 'huge' you mean...
    I was quoting Flacvest but with this new information shall we agree on 2 mph?
    :mrgreen:

Think I'll wait until tomorrow to see how much pain I'm in before deciding on whether I have the bug ;)