Anyone here know gym equipment ?

VTech
VTech Posts: 4,736
edited April 2013 in The cake stop
I am looking at buying some kit and wondered if these were any good ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sole-Premier- ... 4338919%26
Living MY dream.

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    2 grand is an awful lot of gym membership subs. One item there appears to be a cycle machine. I assume you already have a bike, so why not use it. Another piece appears to be a treadmill. There is a pavement you can use for FA.
    If I were to indulge in gym equipment, I would be looking at a multigym to tone your body, rather than investing in aerobic equipment, that only replicate exercise you can do for nowt.
    Then again, I'm just tight or so I'm told. :lol:
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Can't say I have ever heard of that brand. Most gyms use technogym equipment and you can get reconditioned stuff at a good price. Get some decent free weights instead.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    As stated that will pay for a lot of gym membership with all the other equipment you can use plus some personal trainer sessions to make sure you are getting the most out of your exercise.
  • VTech
    I was told this is a top brand ?
    gym membership doesnt work as time is the issue, I get to use them at hotels but that is more down to being bored on my own. This is for the wife and kids as well.
    Living MY dream.
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    VTech wrote:
    I was told this is a top brand ?
    gym membership doesnt work as time is the issue, I get to use them at hotels but that is more down to being bored on my own. This is for the wife and kids as well.

You might want to phrase it very carefully when you suggest to your wife she needs to exercise! :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Nooooo!! It's the end! I can see it; he's got bored of bikes and is now into gym equipment. Before you know it, he'll be on GymRadar asking if the lightweight carbon fibre weights he just bought will improve his performance. :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • VTech
    I cant imagine that addiction myself :)
    Living MY dream.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    VTech wrote:
    I am looking at buying some kit and wondered if these were any good ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sole-Premier- ... 4338919%26

Have a look at the Lifefitness stuff, it's superbe !
    We've got the X1 elliptical trainer, it's extremely good quality.
    http://www.lifefitness.co.uk/home/cardio/ellipticalcrosstrainers/x1baseunit_2.html

I think John Lewis stock them, but you can get them cheaper.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • VTech
    Cheers, ill have a read on them tomorrow.
    Living MY dream.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    It'll end up in the loft.
  • VTech

It definitely won't end up in the loft but it may well get very low mileage.
    Living MY dream.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Do not buy an exercise bike, they are the work of the Devil.

The saddle can't be changed for a 'real' one and will only actually fit the ar5e of a Sumo, and is extremely uncomfortable. The saddle height is adjustable but only in fairly large increments so will not fit anyone precisely and your knees will not be correctly aligned with the pedals and your feet will be about twice as far apart as a real bike.

Horrible things.

Someone gave me one when I couldn't walk, to use for exercise, I rode it four times per day for two years, so a fair test.

Don't get one especially for someone else to use, they will hate you :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    IF you are so desperate to blow your money on something, Forget the running machine as they do not replicate proper running - No forward momentum required. The bike as any bike rider knows is pointless, and the steppers are good but only work very specific areas. Get a Wattbike or a spinner instead if you want an indoor fitness thing for the whole family. I know you are unlikely to have lots of turbo trainers for all of you.
  • MattC59

Not mine it won't !! It's over 2m long and weighs 98kg !!
  • MattC59
    VTech wrote:
    Cheers, ill have a read on them tomorrow.

The X1 is pretty much gym quality; it's a big old lump, but very well made and very quiet. The programs are really good and the resistance very smooth and progressive. My sister has a York eliptical trainer, it's just not in the same ball park. I think this is a case where the quality justifies he high price.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    If I had the room I'd buy all the gym equipment I could. I get the urge to workout often but it's not strong enough to make me leave the house.

Go for it
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I know Jim Dale :lol:
    carry_again_jim_sid.jpg

he wrote this dontcha know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSVfLNCW4Fs
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    completely OTT. If you already have a decent bike ride it. If you want to build muscle, buy a set of kettlebells for £250.

Spend the 2 grand you have saved on a personal trainer or cycling coach.
  • VTech
    It's for a house gym. The family and friends will use it so not so practical for a full time trainer to live on site.
    Living MY dream.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    For what its worth, I have used "the gym" 2 or three times a week for pretty much the last 20 years. If you want to get fit and look fit may I suggest the following:

1) Get some properly fitted running shoes that are specific to your gait. Go to a proper running shop, do not buy on line.
    2) Run on the road as much as you can but buy a treadmill - mine is a relatively cheap one (£600?) for when its too dark to run outside in the evenings. Although a cheap one, my treadmill has lasted for years and "had some hammer" - I have replaced the running board once.
    3) Get some free weights, bench, frame and, most importantly a documented programme. Three sessions per week, alternating light (high number of repetitions) and heavy (low number of repetitions) sessions with a run or bike ride before hand to warm up.
    4) Cycle lots.
    5) Kettle bells are possibly the most effective, certainly the most cost effective and definitely the most under-rated weight training tool out there.
    7) Eat properly.
    6) There are two things that most people fall down on with fitness training.

Firstly, going too big too soon - if you've not run for years, don't start by doing 5 miles! Do half a mile and build up in small increments. Same with weights - its better to lift a lighter weight properly than screw up and fail to lift a heavy one.

Secondly, and this is the most important one, time. If you're going to train three times a week, make those three times sacred above all else. Do not arrange a social, professional or personal activity during the time you have set aside for the gym. If you're away on business make sure the hotel has a gym and take your programme with you. If you stick religiously to three times a week I guarantee, you will see and feel a marked difference in 6 weeks.

At this stage, the quality of the kit is the last thing you should be thinking about.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    laurentian wrote:
    5) Kettle bells are possibly the most effective, certainly the most cost effective and definitely the most under-rated weight training tool out there.

Absolutely, totally agree.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • VTech
    It's funny you should mention that.
    The weird thing is, the only time I religiously train is when I'm away working and am bored at the hotel in my own.
    I hate running personally which is why I bought the bike.
    The problem I have is will power, I know I need to train but always find something better to spend my time on which is the bad part.
    Living MY dream.
  • laurentian
    VTech wrote:
    It's funny you should mention that.
    The weird thing is, the only time I religiously train is when I'm away working and am bored at the hotel in my own.
    I hate running personally which is why I bought the bike.
    The problem I have is will power, I know I need to train but always find something better to spend my time on which is the bad part.

. . . and that is where you'll fall down. Its the bit that folk never, ever think about properly. You can spend all the money in the world on gym equipment, weights, cardiovascular kit etc. but you can't buy fitness!

To better your will power, I would suggest that you set aside two evenings in the week. I do Tuesdays and Thursdays (as I play Rugby on Saturdays) out of Rugby season I add a Saturday/Sunday morning session.

Tuesday: "Front Session"
    Run for half a mile. Get home, get the weights out and do 2 sets of 8 bench presses, 2 sets of 8 shoulder presses and stop. This will take you no more than about half an hour. RECORD THE WEIGHTS/REPS

Thursday: "Back Session"
    Run Half a mile. Get home, get the weights out and do 2 sets of 8 Dead lifts and 2 sets of 8 shrugs and stop.RECORD THE WEIGHTS/REPS

Saturday or Sunday.
    Do the same as Tuesday but bench press/shoulder press about half to two thirds of Tuesdays weight 2 sets of 15.

Tuesday
    Same as Thursday but with half to two thirds weight for dead lifts and shrugs.

Thursday
    Increase run to three quarters of a mile, sames as first Tuesday but increase weight by 2 kg and add another set of 8.

and so on.

After a while add, Squats to the Front session and Calf Raises to the back session - all of these exercises can be found on line - it is important that you do it properly to avoid injury.

Gradually increase the distances you run and the weights you lift but record all of it. After 6 weeks have a look at your record. If you stick to it as above, you'll be amazed. So amazed, in fact, that you will add more exercises to your weights regime and start wearing scoop neck T shirts.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • VTech
    It always sounds so good, the thought of wearing nice tshirts is so much better than the bras I need at the moment :)

After reading your earlier reply I text a friend and we are going to a spin class tomorrow evening to start the ball rolling.
    Living MY dream.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    VTech wrote:
    It always sounds so good, the thought of wearing nice tshirts is so much better than the bras I need at the moment :)

After reading your earlier reply I text a friend and we are going to a spin class tomorrow evening to start the ball rolling.

The more you post, the more you are morphing into an embryonic triathelump :wink:
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    IF you are so desperate to blow your money on something, Forget the running machine as they do not replicate proper running - No forward momentum required.

What does that mean - no forward momentum? Saw in the marathon coverage that Mo trains on trails and a treadmill, but never on the road, so it seems to work for him. He also does a lot of weights, which we're often told are no good for endurance training.
  • laurentian
    Don't know about Mo Farah but I was always told that a treadmill should always be set at a 2% incline to better replicate the effort of road running . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • JGSI wrote:
    The more you post, the more you are morphing into an embryonic triathelump :wink:

Lol, that's a great word... unknown to Google too... someone should buy triathelump.com and sell 3XL sportwear to the likes of me.
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • VTech
    Anything less than morbidly obese is good for me at the mo.
    Living MY dream.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    you could always look at getting a refurbed Concept 2 or a water rower and have a rowing machine instead. Could for Cardio etc and they can generally fold up against the wall.

Also, why not also buy a cheap bike and but it on a Turbo?

Another thoughts if you need to have weights, I have been thinking of getting some Bodymax or Powerblock dumbbells, just to save some space.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon