Long or Short fast Rides?

BMKN
BMKN Posts: 222
I often go on long rides in season ranging from 100km to 200km, my question is in terms of being able to hold a high speed for longer during a race or casually is it better to do Short 60km sprints i.e interval training mixed with hill climbs or a long ride of 100km - 200km averaging 28kph of solo riding? I am not the fastest cyclist

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    My recommendation would be long rides with intervals.

If you want to train for longer, 100 km+ rides then the best way to build the stamina is to ride 100 km+ rides! As a result of your increased fitness, your pace will increase. Additionally, during these rides, consciously increasing your speed for 5-10 km sections by 1 km/h will help to increase your long term average speeds.
  • What is your average speed at present? there's a big difference trying to go faster if you are currently from riding 100km at 18kmph or doing 100km at 32kmph+

What you are looking to do is to be able to produce more power for a given heart rate, so doing a combination of long rides and some sorter intervals, probably a combination of short (5 minutes at about 90-95% max HR) and longer (20 minutes at about 85% max HR - check these percentages online, I've just done a quick calc based on my own levels).

Its important that you are fresh for the intervals, you won't be able to last if you are tired - i know this from personal experience!!

Good luck, intervals are tough!
  • BMKN
    BMKN Posts: 222
    Well currently on my commute I average around 17mph-18mph, depending on traffic and wind if head wind I average 16.5mph over a 20km route, my long rides usually over 1000ft of climbing are about the same, I find its my legs giving out first rather than my heart rate, when I am at cruising on flat ground at 23MPH my heart rate is 150BPM my max HR is 170BPM due to Surgery and doctors orders. I do try and do 20sec out of saddle sprints till I get lactic build up or just before it and recover and do the same for maybe 15mins overall. I'd love to be able to sustain AN AVERAGE OF 19MPH over the course that I do.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What's the issue with your heart? I wouldn't be recommending interval training if you have a diagnosed heart problem.
  • Hmmm, talk to a professional! Most interval sessions will push your hr skyward, which without proper though could cause problem. Your current figures are pretty good for a 'club cyclist'.
  • BMKN wrote:
    I often go on long rides in season ranging from 100km to 200km, my question is in terms of being able to hold a high speed for longer during a race or casually is it better to do Short 60km sprints i.e interval training mixed with hill climbs or a long ride of 100km - 200km averaging 28kph of solo riding? I am not the fastest cyclist
    It's a false dichotomy.