How to wash, expensive clothes ...

blablablacksheep
blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
edited September 2015 in Road beginners
So i've got a pair of Castelli body paint bibs(didn't pay full price :D ) as well as a Casteli Gaba wind jacket.

But im worried about sticking them into the washing machine as i've had issues with expensive gear before.

So anyone who has these items or similar items what do you do to wash them?(inside out/in a washing bag/hand wash..)
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    In the washing machine, colour gel, short cycle (unless really filthy) 30 degrees, NO FABRIC SOFTENER.
    Hang to air dry overnight.
    Done. :D
    Cycling weakly
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I use Halo Sports Wash for all my kit - 30 degree wash and gets the smell out of synthetics nicely.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/halo-proactive-sports-wash-laundry-detergent-1-litre/

I think Assos do their own detergent as well?
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    As others for me too. Quick wash, no fabric softener & leave to hang to dry over night.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    I use my hands. Only takes 10mins. Tiny bit of assos cleaning liquid and job done. I'm quite diligent with my stuff, so I actually enjoy the process of doing things myself.
  • I use the machine; delicates wash at 0, sportswear detergent (I like Halo best but need to order some; local supermarkets used to stock it. Tesco do a cheap one which works perfectly well), done. I don't have much kit because I don't have much money; ideally (principally for environmental reasons) I'd probably do one handwash at the end of the week.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    From a girl with loads of delicate clothes... Put delicates inside a pillow or duvet case (depending on volume) and tie a knot in it. :)

Being washed inside a pillow/duvet case stops things snagging on the drum.
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    This could be the answer :D
  • n1ckster
    n1ckster Posts: 158
    I use Halo Sports Wash for all my kit - 30 degree wash and gets the smell out of synthetics nicely.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/halo-proactive-sports-wash-laundry-detergent-1-litre/

I think Assos do their own detergent as well?

+1 for Halo, although it is only £3.99 from Sainsburys.

Nick
  • nolight
    nolight Posts: 261
    Having to hand-wash is 1 of the reasons why I only cycle once per week!

If I have to use washing machine, then have everything turn to lowest (least water, low cycle) and just wash this expensive clothing.
  • pinkteapot
    Clothes can withstand more of a beating in the washing machine than people think. As I said, all my delicates go inside a pillowcase but still get washed at 40 and with full spin. Have never yet had so much as a pair of tights get laddered.

Went nuts at the husband once when he accidentally put a load of washing (including jeans) on at 90 degrees! Couldn't do anything but wait until the cycle finished... And not a single thing was ruined or faded. I was amazed.

Biggest problem for clothes is tumble drying. I've never used a tumble dryer and it's accidentally tumble drying at too high a temperature that can really destroy things.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    30C short wash for the majority of kit inc sportwool jerseys, and bibs go in small laundry nets (you get them with Assos bibs). Caps, mitts, jackets get hand washed, rung out, rolled up tightly in a towel then hung dried.

I just use Tesco’s own non-bio washing liquid in the machine and soap for the hand washing (Rapha soap that is ;-))
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I usually handwash my merino base layers and other delicate items. I use normal Ecover non-bio laundry liquid, wring and put them on the line. Doesn't take long and unlike some on here I'm not afraid of a bit of manual work.

pinkteapot's pillowcase suggestion works well if using the washing machine and I too avoid the tumble dryer if I can. My wife has a bra washbag thing I use for mitts and overshoes. I also check there are no zip pullers, buckles etc that could snag. Some items are turned inside-out and washed with zips done up.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • deswahriff
    deswahriff Posts: 310
    pinkteapot wrote:
    Clothes can withstand more of a beating in the washing machine than people think. As I said, all my delicates go inside a pillowcase but still get washed at 40 and with full spin. Have never yet had so much as a pair of tights get laddered.

Went nuts at the husband once when he accidentally put a load of washing (including jeans) on at 90 degrees! Couldn't do anything but wait until the cycle finished... And not a single thing was ruined or faded. I was amazed.

Biggest problem for clothes is tumble drying. I've never used a tumble dryer and it's accidentally tumble drying at too high a temperature that can really destroy things.

...Listen to the lady....and read the label. ....I know by tradition us blokes are useless with washing machines - just treat it like any other gadget and follow the user-interface inscribed on the fascia...;-)
    I've got "expensive" cycling kit (from merino tops to soft-shell jackets) thats over 2 years old, gets chucked in the machine twice a week on the regular cycle...if I remember, I'll turn down to 30c, though most of the labels say 40...and honestly still in excellent condition.
    I think this is where you're hard earned cash starts to pay dividends, quality kit tends to be better made and will stand up to regular washing better than budget stuff...at least that's my excuse..!
    ...and you should never have to tumble dry sports kit - even if its an "emergency", and hour near a radiator will get most kit dry.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    I asked Castelli what I should do based on their website advice here: http://castelli-cycling.com/en/products/care/693/

Here's the answer:

8651004639_efdeb1c087_z.jpg
    Untitled by Brett-GT40, on Flickr

I'd turn them inside out to protect the logos too
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Why not just stick all cycling clothing in a 40 wool cycle?

Also why shouldnt you add fabric softener to your clothes?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    goonz wrote:
    Why not just stick all cycling clothing in a 40 wool cycle?

Not recommended by clothing manufactures as coats technical fabrics and inhibits their properties be it water/wind proofing & for lycra think it can break down the elasticity of the fabric.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Mart74
    Mart74 Posts: 111
    I use soap flakes (liquid) for all my expensive outdoor gear on 30c wash. It's the same as nick wax but half the price.
    Waitrose sell it.

Don't use fabric conditioner. Some items do need tumble drying (usually on cool) to help with the DWR coating, it will say on the label.
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Eeeeeh, I'm not happy being your mum substitute..

Gabba jackets are essentially 4 way stretch Gore-Tex, and have various washing don'ts on the label inside the jacket. Detergent, found in bio and non-bio liquid acts as a wetting agent, reducing the surface tension of the water to allow the cleany stuff to work better, but reducing the effectiveness of the fabric.

Use soap either as flakes or as liquid soap to wash, on a cold setting. If you are riding a lot in the rain, use a rinse in the TX Direct Wash In stuff from Nikwax to waterproof it even better.

You don't need to wash it every time you use it, only when it gets full of crap.
  • brettjmcc
    goonz wrote:

It will remove the breathability of chlothes. Makes breathable clothes like sweat suits apparently
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • pinkteapot
    Fabric conditioner coats your clothes with a microscopically thin layer of chemicals, which is probably why it stops breathable fabrics working.

That's the reason you shouldn't use fabric conditioner when you wash your towels - they're more absorbent afterwards if you don't.

I have to say though that the tops I wear for cycling and hiking are super-wicking sports type material which just get washed along with normal clothes, with fabric conditioner, and I haven't noticed any drop in their wicking power.
  • goonz
    Nearly all my clothes just go in the normal wash cycle, the only ones that don't are my waterproofs and my Rapha gear. everything else goes straight in, not had any issues so far.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    One other thing, DON'T mix VELCRO with LYCRA - the velcro will ruin the lycra. :!:
    Cycling weakly
  • c-mac
    c-mac Posts: 30
    Had a lovely cycle after work. Put my new Castelli jersey and a base layer with my other clothes, went for a 30 degree wash on a delicate cycle. Currently hanging up in the bathroom. I'll let you know tomorrow if I ruined it! First impressions make me think it is fine.
  • Doing same as above..sticking my body paint bibs inside out in a 30 degree cycle will let you know how it fairs.

By the way, how would i wash my castelli Gabba waterproof jacket? as i dont want to damage that fancy gore stuff?
  • goonz
    Can someone help plz. I have a few dark sports clothes and one white rapha jersey. Was going to put them all in 30 wool but now not sure whether the colour will run? Seems a bit of a waste to wash one jersey on its own.
  • brettjmcc
    Doing same as above..sticking my body paint bibs inside out in a 30 degree cycle will let you know how it fairs.

By the way, how would i wash my castelli Gabba waterproof jacket? as i dont want to damage that fancy gore stuff?

See page one and the Twitter conversation I had with Castelli. I'd also turn it inside out and I use a mesh bag as well.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • Looking around,I'm confused castelli said they like nikwax tech wash,yet its a detergent, while nikwax TX Direct isn't.

Which one should I use on my Gibbs top?
    I'm currently washing my body paint shorts in a 30 wash with washing powder no bio..will post results
  • brettjmcc
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Generally things (some have been said)

Wash inside out
    Do zips up
    Do velcro up (and/or put in bag)
    30 degrees (Do not think I have any running or cycling stuff that says higher than 30 degrees).
    Wash with fleeces or nightwear to make up a load, but not things like flannels or towels that may have soaps/chemicals on.
    Air dry (except waterproof socks which go in the dryer on low).

One thing no one has said is to wash ASAP and not to let sweat dry. So straight in the machine when back from a ride and never leave until next day just to make up a full load.

I use Assos or other specific detergent on the most expensive kit as feel it helps to stop colour fading and sweat from damaging fabric.

Sometimes put Vanish Oxi Action Extra Hygiene in with the more regular kit. Its quite good with staining too.
    I will check out that Halo sports wash :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have not used fabric conditioner for years here.