I didn't realise that two low mileage weeks would...

alihisgreat
alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
...leave me feeling fragile

ITB is flaring up and low back is really tight :shock:

it would appear that proper stretching and maintenance is key even when I'm not riding!

Comments

• TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Weak!

Looks like you're heading towards the retirement home sooner than you would have thought. :lol:
  • Tried yoga?
  • alihisgreat
    Tried yoga?

I normally do a stretching routine (with a few yoga moves) twice a day - but I let that routine slip when I'm not doing as many miles.
  • Having trained many years in various disciplines I still feel first hand the affects of inconsistent stretching from one week to another (esp after coming back from a three year break). I see flexibility as a fundamental training session in itself and have it planned out in my timetable... Easier said than done of course.

Have you tried a foam roller for your ITB?
  • alihisgreat
    Having trained many years in various disciplines I still feel first hand the affects of inconsistent stretching from one week to another (esp after coming back from a three year break). I see flexibility as a fundamental training session in itself and have it planned out in my timetable... Easier said than done of course.

Have you tried a foam roller for your ITB?

Don't worry, i've got it under control :wink:

Its just I've been lazy for the past few weeks and not been stretching/rolling etc.
  • Good lad 8)

now if only I could do the same :roll:
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898

Don't worry, i've got it under control :wink:

Its just I've been lazy for the past few weeks and not been stretching/rolling etc.

Had something similar last year after dropping down my training and forgetting some of my stretching, will not be making that mistake again I'm not the most flexible person naturally and really did suffer after cutting these short.

As you said it is an easy enough fix if you get back to it early enough.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • cerv52
    cerv52 Posts: 81
    Thinking of trying this foam roller stuff, any recommendations for a foam roller or will any do the job?
  • Cookie91
    Cookie91 Posts: 97
    cerv52 wrote:
    Thinking of trying this foam roller stuff, any recommendations for a foam roller or will any do the job?

I asked my physio the same question and he said no worries as long as its round, and wide enough for your body. I got a £5 one from sports direct.

Just a heads up, it will be painful! :shock:
    Although after a few days your muscles will be rolling out like dough :)
  • alihisgreat
    cerv52 wrote:

I use this one: http://www.tptherapy.com/Shop-Online/SMRT-Core-Products/The-GRID-Foam-Roller.html
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    cerv52 wrote:

Personally have one of these & a very good, bit more expensive that the solid foam rollers but understand that they keep their shape longer - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigger-Point-P ... oam+roller
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • bisoner
    bisoner Posts: 171
    cerv52 wrote:

Just use a 2 litre bottle - either filled with water or an unopened lemonade bottle in my case - as a foam roller.

I've had some ITB issues of late but very isolated around the side of my knee. Scan on my knee revealed it was fine - nothing structurally wrong in other words. Therefore, consultant said it was soft tissue damage, likely caused by a couple of intense rides with a saddle slightly too high. 3 weeks off the bike, finger tip massage of the isolated pain on the ITB at the side of the knee until numb - elevation and ice after, some roller work, lots of Your Fitness Xbox Kinect sessions - yoga and glute specific work - and my knee seems fine though I am still managing my riding sessions carefully.

I have to admit I rarely stretch properly pre / post ride but my ITB issues have awakened me to look after my rather fragile and ageing body!!
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    ...leave me feeling fragile

ITB is flaring up and low back is really tight :shock:

it would appear that proper stretching and maintenance is key even when I'm not riding!

I know how you feel mate, even after my 22 mile training rides i have to stretch out afterwards otherwise it leaves me cramping and tight in the morning.

I have up'ed my stretching as well now and do around 10 minutes and this works well and leaves me feeling like i havent even been on the bike.