How can a whole wheel move laterally ?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys.

Can anyone tell me whats happened here ?

I took the bike round the block 'literally', on the way back it was hard to pedal, I got the bike in and on the stand and seen that this flamin crap Superstars wheelset has moved somehow and shaved off some of my disc brake adapter and scored the disc, the whole wheel seems to have moved to the left, how is this possible ?

Here are some pics:

88487896.jpg
73681619.jpg
97760233.jpg
30472392.jpg

I can't fathom out how the whole wheel can move laterally, surely it cant but then how is it that the disc is sitting flush next to the adapter ? the wheel span freely when I walked it out.

Any ideas what could have happened ? any ideas how to make it spin freely again ?

Am really annoyed because brand new brakes on the bike and this damn wheelset has scuffed the disc adapter, god knows if its warped the disc but its all scored.

I have started court proceedings to take Superstars to court, should have a hearing date inside a fortnight.

Anyone know what happened here ? even the mech now no longer lines up I dont understand how it can have shifted ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like a incorrect hub rebuild.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Perfect that'll do nicely, least I know what it is, shame about my brakes tho, damn am gutted.... :(
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure I'm with Nick as a certainty....but it is one possibility.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    I think given the fact after the warranty repair they never actually replaced the failed freehub but just put bearings in it and when it came back it was all out of alignment I am inclined also to believe its down to poor hub rebuild.

I hate not being able to ride its driving me mad, by time this gets sorted I'll have probably given up :(
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Taking them to court?...blimey that's a bit extreme isn't it?

Would they not just take the wheel back to have a look at it? A new disc rotor isn't too big of a deal anyway. If it had somehow bent or broken the frame then maybe but if it is a bad hub build they would probably send you a new disc rotor anyway
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Anonymous
    Nah its not drastic its what I need to do, Neil @ SS is being so funny about it.

He shaved some metal off hub then blamed me and said I must have done it in transit lol it was on my car seat,he wont take responsibility for anything and after all that he wants to tear the wheel apart and look at it again and I just dont trust them to touch it again so I just want a refund.

Even when I get the refund back through the courts am only gonna get £299 back and am already into over £400 on this wheelset so am only gonna be getting half my money back for a full refund.

That will teach me for dealing with Superstarts but I didnt know any better at the time :(
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    You need to work out if the hub 'axle' is no longer 135mm (i.e. it's shortened end-cap to end-cap), or if the hub body has shifted to the left.

It's unlikely, but can you tell if the cassette has shifted to the left, i.e. are the gears out of sync now ? EDIT just read previous replies...

Either the hub body has shifted to the left, or the non-drive side hub end-cap has pushed itself too far into the hub body. This could be that the bearing seat has collapsed inwards. If this had happened while you were riding, I'd expect the QR to be fairly loose. Does it feel looser ?

Or following a bodge repair, an overly narrow bearing cartridge could have been fitted, and the end-cap is seated too far into the hub. But you would have felt this straight away as the rotor would have been pressed against the LHS brake pad.

I'm guessing your reference to court procedings isn't entirely true, I mean have you phoned them ? - EDIT just read previous replies...
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    CubeCrazy wrote:
    Nah its not drastic its what I need to do, Neil @ SS is being so funny about it.

He shaved some metal off hub then blamed me and said I must have done it in transit lol it was on my car seat,he wont take responsibility for anything and after all that he wants to tear the wheel apart and look at it again and I just dont trust them to touch it again so I just want a refund.

Even when I get the refund back through the courts am only gonna get £299 back and am already into over £400 on this wheelset so am only gonna be getting half my money back for a full refund.

That will teach me for dealing with Superstarts but I didnt know any better at the time :(

hmm..fair enough...sounds like a ball ache either way. Good luck
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Neil always comes across as a reasonable guy. Have you simply asked for a refund?
    There already seemed to be a problem here:
    viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12910449&p=18211190#p18211190
    Probably not a good idea to ride with a known issue.
    Or badmouth companies in public before a matter is resolved.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    BG2000, yes the cassette does appear to have shifted to the left, its no longer as close to the frame as it was before and yes the gears are totally out of sync.

Also the other end of the hub when you mention about the end cap pushing in, it does appear to be a couple of mm in than what I remember before, its certainly not flush lets put it that way.

Yes court is true, I have had many emails with Neil, he just blames me for everything, even his own poor warranty repair, it goes on and on and I wont bore you with it, he wont give me a refund all he wants is the wheels back and a member of his team will look at it in good time, well I did that already and it came back damaged and so on, hes not being decent about this at all.

At end of day like I said am into this wheelset for over 400 quid, I bet you guys are riding this weekend, I am not :( and if anyone thinks these wheels are fine, would anyone like to come and buy them ? they have just had a warranty repair ? lol thought not ...

That post cooldad was old and I spent a long time and managed to get the bike indexing again but it was way out of adjustment with how the wheel came back, so I took it for a run and the hub was making a grinding noise, intermittent, sounded like my trainers were in the spokes so I aborted the run until today and then this happened.

I dont know a court in the land that would go in favour of SS, I have done everything they have asked, replaced their new bearings within weeks at my cost, drove to their premises to drop off the wheelset at my cost so they wouldnt get damaged, when they was damaged Neil said it must have happened in transit which is B****CKS but he refuses to refund so court was my only option :(
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why not buy these and get out riding?:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... otors.html

Ps, you never ever know what'll happen in courts.
  • Anonymous
    If court dont go my way i'm screwed :o i cant see it happening though, it not my fault SS couldnt sort them out.

The rims and spoke are fine and great, its just their own hub thats not.

I asked the question already as to what aftermarket hubs would fit and its a guessing game and depends on spoke length etc.

I have no idea what hubs would fit these wheels.

Oh wait that link thats for a complete wheelset isnt it ? hmm ...

WOW Very tempted to get them to get me out but its another 70 quid I dont really have after I piled all me cash into these SS ones.

Man thats so tempting..... thanks for that I'll ponder it for a while :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have you asked SS for a refund after this new incident?
  • Anonymous
    No mate I haven't, all communication broke down and he wasnt prepared last time to entertain a refund he just insisted on having them back to do the work again so it wont make any difference unfortunately.

I dont know why hes reluctant to refund upon having the wheels back.

Anyway ... thanks everyone for the advice on the problem, its clear theres sommat major wrong with um, tyres are off and there back to being just a rim now, ready for shipping back if I get my money back in court, either that or there goin in the bin.
  • If you are to have a chance of winning a case in the small claims court then you must first give the company a chance to make redress outside the legal system. Send a letter or email to the company stating clearly and unemotionally what happened and when i.e. dates of all your transactions with superstars and the outcome in each case. State why you feel that their service has fallen short of that which you feel you could reasonably expect under the sale of goods act and what they would need to do to remedy the situation. Finish by stating that, although it is not an option that you would choose, you do feel strongly enough about the situation to seek redress through the courts. Keep the tone of your letter firm but polite.

Going to court is going to be a lottery as the chances of you being able to prove beyond the balance of probability that your statutory rights have been breeched are slim. There is plenty of scope for them to blame things that you may or may not have done and if you sue and lose then you'll be "into your wheel" for a lot more than £400. Your best bet is an amicable solution which is why I would echo the advice not to bad mouth them on here as this will reduce your chances of achieving this.

I hope you get your wheel sorted either way.
  • Anonymous
    I am not bad mouthing SS, theres an 11 page thread in singletrack forum of people unhappy with SS wanting blood, am just saying what they have done regardin their service and what has happened, if I am not successful at court then I will be letting all and sundry know about it until the day I die.

I have already done as you have suggested and sent via recorded post a letter to Neil which is my Letter Before Action, asking to remedy the situation out of court, he wrote back to me saying the same line, I have offered to have another look 10 times but that I am refusing, well too right, wouldn't anyone after what they have done / way they have treated me ?

I have gave them chance to recfifty things all at my cost again, they failed, and its within my rights to decline further work and time off the road if they couldnt put it right the first time.

When they lose they will get a CCJ against them and they may struggle to obtain credit, I am the victim here, SS are the ones who have failed to repair satisfactorily.

Its quite a simple case really, I am a customer, bought a wheel, wheel failed, gave chance to repair, repair came back worse, so I want a refund, I dont see what I have done wrong in any of that other than lose money and be off the road all this time at someone elses fault.

Thanks I hope I get it sorted too, should know inside 2 weeks where I stand and I'll update.
  • The Rookie
    They sell shedloads of stuff, much like Halfords or Evans, the more you sell, the more complaints you get.

You need to understand CCJ's, it will only be recorded if they loose and don't pay, so I suggest you know what you are on about before lstating what will happen.

The fact you have had a repair done that could be attributed to wear and tear - and you effectivley now just have an issue with that repair will significantly harm your case for a full refund, further harmed by your unwillingness to get them to look at it again.

Frankly you are going off half cock, How much have you paid for the expert report that you will definately need to support your case, what does that say?

Right now your chances of winning I'd put at about 5%.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    I came onto this site to ask a question about the wheel moving laterally and all thats happening are court questions.

I dont care about CCJ's all I want is a refund and to then buy from a REPUTABLE company who honours warranty repairs with products that last more than 10 weeks.

I have a 5% chance of winning lmao.... ok...right o... So you think this is accepable ? maybe if this happened to you then you would be singing a different tune, they dont even have an argument for 1 other than let them try again and its my right not to, why is it I say they damaged my wheel and it falls on deaf ears ?

I am happy to pay for an independent examination on this crap wheel, its garbage and only fit for the bin.

Anyway not gonna answer any more questions about court, thats not what this thread was about.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I think if you are taking a company to court you should refrain from making statements in public about them until after judgement. And you should make EVERY effort to allow them to rectify the faults.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Anonymous
    Why on earth should I ?

The sold crap goods, I know cos I have them next to me, failed components, theres nothing to hide about that and I wont be affraid to voice whats true, nothing illegal about that.

As I said 3 times, I gave them a chance, it came back worse, how many chances do they want to get it right ? each time it gets damaged on their time and they blame me.

People who dont think I have a case want their head read, what am I supposed to do never cycle again cos of a failed part and I cant get my money back, as if....
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    CubeCrazy wrote:
    Anyway not gonna answer any more questions about court, thats not what this thread was about.
    Well you did do a bit of slagging off, and mentioning legal action in your initial post, so it's difficult to ignore it in the rest of the thread.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    It's got nothing to do with the veracity of your claim, up to you to take the advice or not.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    What you have to do to win is go about it the right way, I also post on a legal advice forum and we get a lot of people with genuine cases who loose, our legal system is adversorial, he who wins is he who convinces the judge on the day, go unprepared and you are preparing to loose.

Even prepared your case is not a guarenteed win, unprepared its a guarenteed loss, you will be expected to have some independant back up reference what is wrong with them, whatever it is.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    CubeCrazy wrote:
    People who dont think I have a case want their head read
    The last time I heard such a statement the person in question(bloke at work,not bike related) came out of court £28K worse off for the sake of a fence :roll:
    Are you a Solicitor?As mentioned the legal system is complicated AND you've slagged off SS on a public Forum which SS (who do actually post on here) can use :wink:
    Back to the wheel...daft question but is the Hub the right size?I ask this as I (stupidly) bought a Hope Pro2 12mm thru-axle conversion kit(142mm) and after much messing(and finally checking online) found out my rear end is 135mm :oops: The 142mm went in the frame but when tightened the wheel was locked solid :oops: :oops:
    I my self bought a SS wheel set(135X12mm rear) and they're faultless.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    CubeCrazy wrote:
    I am not bad mouthing SS, theres an 11 page thread in singletrack forum of people unhappy with SS wanting blood,
    yeah this one http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... 0-seatpost that you refered to before
      last entry made
    3 years ago
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • got a pic of the hub, side on with the scewer fitted?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Its quite a simple case really, I am a customer, bought a wheel, wheel failed, gave chance to repair, repair came back worse, so I want a refund, I dont see what I have done wrong in any of that other than lose money and be off the road all this time at someone elses fault.

But you need to put it to them first! Going straight to court is not going to get you anywhere as you have not reported the new incident to them. This could get very costly for you.

You have good recourse for refund now. IF they do not, THEN you take them to court.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    You need to give them the opportunity to sort it first.

In the unlikely event that fails I'd hope I paid by credit card then speak to the card company.

Any form of legal action is the last resort.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    My thoughts on this are that the OP does have a case provided he makes is succinct on the time and does not draw on irrelevance - including threads and other peoples opinions. There is a good chance of success (because actually there is something wrong and they implicitly accept this by doing some repairs) made an awful lot better by the probability of SS settling prior to the session. If they do - make sure they settle for the refund and the costs incurred though.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    ibbo68 wrote:
    CubeCrazy wrote:
    People who dont think I have a case want their head read
    The last time I heard such a statement the person in question(bloke at work,not bike related) came out of court £28K worse off for the sake of a fence :roll:
    Wasn't a party fence dispute was it? Can't tell you the amount of times i've seen someone waste thousands in court trying to settle these debates :roll:

Anyway i'm unsure why you still haven't asked for a refund formally. I can't imagine them being so unreasonable about it given they know how far good customer service goes (and how much further tales of bad service go!).
This discussion has been closed.