Hilly rides around Oxfordshire (Abingdon)

bartman100
bartman100 Posts: 544
Hi,

Recently moved to Abingdon and am struggling to find any good climbing terrain. Any advice on circular rides that take in some good climbing? I'm looking for anything 40-90 miles with minimum combined ascent of 3000ft ish. I guess this means heading either Cotswold or Chiltern ways?

Cheers

Comments

• bartman100
    Hi,

Recently moved to Abingdon and am struggling to find any good climbing terrain. Any advice on circular rides that take in some good climbing? I'm looking for anything 40-90 miles with minimum combined ascent of 3000ft ish. I guess this means heading either Cotswold or Chiltern ways?

Cheers
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    10 times up and down White Horse Hill will give you your 3000 ft.

For a decently lumpy ride have a look at putting together a route over the north Wessex Downs between Newbury and Devises. Otherwise you are right its either the Cotswolds or Chilterns.

Why do you need a hilly route? If you are training for big European climbs then threshold efforts along the Thames Valley would be better.
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    You are right in the middle of the Thames Valley there!

North West - you've got the start of the Cotswolds. Head over to Witney/Eynsham and then go North

South is the North Berkshire Downs than then loop up East to the Chilterns at Thame/Watlington.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Welcome to the glorious Shire!

Unfortunately, you have about 10 miles of flat all around you. There is one short sharp hill at 'Boars Hill' (SW of Oxford) that is easily accessible through Wootton and makes a good target for your shorter rides.

About 10miles to the south of Abingdon you have a hill range over 'The Ridgeway'. That goes up and down all the way past Newbury.

To the east, the other side of Wallingford, you have the Chilterns. Some really nice riding over there, Road & MTB. Loads of lanes around Stonor Park, Woodcote & Henley to get lost in. Lovely.

One local beacon to head for is Streatley. They have a rather tasty hill that was used in the Tour of Britain a few years back.

Best of luck!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Yep head for the Chilterns.. there are plenty of 4th Cats on Strava and a few 3rd Cats if you know where to look.

My Favourite Climbs in the area:

White Horse Hill over at Uffington: http://app.strava.com/segments/644526

and over in the other direction Kingston hill: http://app.strava.com/segments/661952

but if you look on Strava there are plenty of other climbs within riding distance - think there is one that features in one of the 'top 100 climbs' books.

But as mentioned above, riding in Oxfordshire is mainly comprised of flat riding to get to a 4th cat, then flat riding to get back home.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If you like organised sportives, or want to use them to get to know some suggested routes, there is an Evans Rideit from Watlington in a couple of weeks http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it/watl ... april-2013 and a Chilterns ride coming up http://www.chiltern-hundred.org.uk/
  • Brad123
    Brad123 Posts: 86
    A nice ride is make you way down to Streatley go up Streatley Hill and head for East Illsley then Farnborough. Then to Wantage can start going back towards Oxford or head out towards White Horse Hill over at Uffington as ALIHISGREAT said.
    GT Avalanche for xc fun
    Btwin Triban 3
  • bartman100
    thanks all, much appreciated.
  • bartman100
    thanks both, much appreciated.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    As mentioned earlier if you can get to just south west of Newbury you will find Walbury Hill (aka Combe Gibbet) This is the highest point in SE England (just) and there are about five different routes up it, all of different gradients and types.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    simona75 wrote:
    As mentioned earlier if you can get to just south west of Newbury you will find Walbury Hill (aka Combe Gibbet)
    Combe Gibbet is technically on another hill (Inkpen Hill according to my map) :twisted:

One of my favourite rides is to cross the ridge at Watership Down, = sharp climb followed by a rollercoaster all the way to Whitchurch, then follow the valley to Hurstbourne Tarrant and find a way up to Combe Gibbet eg via Shalbourne. Lovely countryside, I kind of miss it now I've moved to Welsh Wales where the hills are proper and the men are real men and the sheep... oh you get the picture.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Just a heads up for road and MTB'ers try web sites for Abingdon Freewheelers, Didcot Phoenix CC, Oxford City RC, Oxonions. I sometimes ride MTB and road with Freewheelers and on a Tuesday night there can be over 40 riders. Thursday nights are for road riders.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • PiersHS
    PiersHS Posts: 109
    You'd be welcome to come along on a Zappi's CC ride to find out some routes and also if you are interested in joining a local club. Zappi's has around 150 active members, and we normally get around 50-60 people on club rides though split into slow, med, fast groups. Normally there is a ride to suit everyone there.
    Forza Zappi's CC
  • alihisgreat
    http://twohundredandsomethingwatts.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/oxford-climbs.html

Just put up a list of the decent climbs that I ride in the area - will be adding a few more over the next few weeks.
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    Bartman
    I was going to post a list of hills/lumps around the Oxfordshire area but ALISHGREAT seems to have swept them all up in his posts.
    I would definitely take in a route that takes you in and out of Brill a couple of times on the numerous routes there - some great climbs and descents to be had!
    S
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    Along a similar topic, do any of the clubs in the area ride during the week? I live in Bicester and other than a weeknight TT the local club only ride on weekends, as I work both Saturday and Sunday all day its hard to get out on club runs.
  • alihisgreat
    Cowley Road Condors do I think

There is a mixed club chaingang on Tuesdays that leaves from marston ferry road/banbury road corner at 6

Not sure about Zappis.
  • Chris87
    sounds good, the BMCC TT is on a tuesday but I could alternate each week!

I heard Zappis do a weekday run in the summer but never found out what day.

Cheers for the tip!
  • PiersHS
    Zappis ride Every Tuesday and Thursday throughout the year. Leaving Zappis Cafe in central Oxford at 9AM.

Often there are rides organised by members on mondays, wednesdays and Fridays too, though not official club runs- the FB page for zappi's is a great place to find people to ride with if you can't make the club runs.

In summary- Zappi's Rides

TUES- 9AM 5-10 riders normally
    THURS- 9AM 5-10 riders normally
    SAT- 9AM- 50-60 or so (Three groups)
    SUN- 9AM Depends on who has been racing etc but normally at least 15
    Forza Zappi's CC
  • Chris87
    Ace thanks for that, will try and get in for some of the tuesday and thursday rides!
  • PiersHS
    If you PM me your name, I can add you to the FB group. Good place to see whats going on.
    Forza Zappi's CC