Balancing cycling/running training

I'm doing three sportives this year, 60 miles flat in June, 80 miles flatish in August and 112 miles hilly (8000 feet) in September.

Also doing a 10k road race this month, a leg of a marathon relay in May, and my first half marathon in September.

I currently do one long ride (60 miles solo) at the weekend and one shorter ride during the week (25 miles). I've been cycling since November. Plus I do a run of up to 10k, and two weight lifting sessions per week.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the half marathon/112 mile sportive in September, a couple of weeks apart. I'll need to increase my running and riding (in particular climbing) distances significantly over the next few months. Am I biting off more than I can chew? Plus I'm getting hitched in August which will limit my training time. Although I'll take my running shoes on honeymoon, and hoping to rent a bike and cycle the Amalfi Coast. Maybe see how far up Vesuvius I can get!

Anyone else have competing priorities?

Comments

• nedmoran
    nedmoran Posts: 53
    Take your running shoes on your honeymoon and you'll be getting divorced...You have a busy schedule. I don't have any events planned but heres how i fit my training in. Monday-run before breakfast, gym after tea. Tuesday-bike. Wednesday-run before breakfast, gym after tea. Thursday-bike. Friday-run before breakfast, gym after work(or saturday morning). Sunday-long ride.
    I'm not regimental with it, so if i miss a day during the week once in a while i'm not to upset.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Last month I did a half followed by a sportive. (my first of both). What I would say is go with what your body feels - I replaced some of my CV runs with cycling, which worked very well. Now I do:

Ride 5 times a week (mostly shortish, say 18 miles each)
    Run 3 times a week (one 5k, one 10k, one slightly longer)
    Intervals once a week (either bike or running)

I would say that the key to it is your recovery during the week between - I'd say do almost nothing, you won't get any less fitter in a week - just do some stretches and maybe a very slow ride.
    Insert bike here:
  • nedmoran wrote:
    Take your running shoes on your honeymoon and you'll be getting divorced...You have a busy schedule. I don't have any events planned but heres how i fit my training in. Monday-run before breakfast, gym after tea. Tuesday-bike. Wednesday-run before breakfast, gym after tea. Thursday-bike. Friday-run before breakfast, gym after work(or saturday morning). Sunday-long ride.
    I'm not regimental with it, so if i miss a day during the week once in a while i'm not to upset.

Ha, maybe you're right! I've already got clearance for renting a bike. Maybe I should count myself lucky for that!

Never thought about training twice a day. Might be an option. I commute on my bike so I could go a longer route and get an hour of hill repeats in before work maybe.
    mpatts wrote:
    Last month I did a half followed by a sportive. (my first of both). What I would say is go with what your body feels - I replaced some of my CV runs with cycling, which worked very well. Now I do:

Ride 5 times a week (mostly shortish, say 18 miles each)
    Run 3 times a week (one 5k, one 10k, one slightly longer)
    Intervals once a week (either bike or running)

I would say that the key to it is your recovery during the week between - I'd say do almost nothing, you won't get any less fitter in a week - just do some stretches and maybe a very slow ride.

The sportive has a shorter 80 mile route with 6000ft of climbing, but I'm determined to do the longer one. Thankfully the sportive is first, as I find the recovery from cycling much quicker.

Thanks for your replies.
  • wod1
    wod1 Posts: 61
    Reference honeymoon - We went to the Madlivies and in the place of R&R manged to do keep active everyday, We were in a water bungolow and I was allowed to swim out to the edge of the reef and back every morning before breakfast, then lots of snorkling and canoing cicuits around the island. No cycling or running but felt energised everyday.

Didnt cycle but there are some of the bigger islands that give you a compulsry bike to get around.

Im just looking at building up to a triathlon so need to build in more training of running and swmming. currently have bad technique at swimming and lack of enthusism for swimming. Cycling part is fine with a commutte to work with bigger loops to increase mileage. already all kitted up and on the bike anyway so some extra miles is easier than making a second activity.

My biggest bit of advice for training is everytime yout think about driving anywhere just think can I cycle there instead? This means other "family" activites can still involve cycle training. My son often sleeps in the car on the way home from say visiting friends so dont miss that much time with him anyway.

It is hard with family commitmments.