Race radio

2»

Comments

• Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    The MT thing isn't bringing me down, she's still dead as far as I know.

There seems to be a good argument for radio within bunch racing. Obviously there are traditional ways of relaying info and the safety issue is the main factor where radio is key to get a fast response.
    However, no one (on this thread amongst the zillions on here :wink: at least) Has put forward a counter argument for banning radio during TT's.
    I believe as "the race of truth" it should be pure rider v clock with no info being relayed to him whatsoever. Safety is not a issue as each rider is followed by a car.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Are you going to ban the DS just rolling down the window and Shouting too? Pretty pointless otherwise...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    ddraver wrote:
    Are you going to ban the DS just rolling down the window and Shouting too? Pretty pointless otherwise...

Can't do that in a TT can you? I thought cars had to stay a certain distance behind.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    they used to have megaphones on the bonnet for the very purpose. You ll never stop it happening...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I have to agree with Rich about watching 3 hours of unedited Eurosport coverage. It will be predominantly dull.

I hate to sound a cnut but hear me out on this, and it's based mostly on personal experience:

There has been a lot of moaning, particularly Flanders and (less so) Roubaix, that it was boring save for a few kilometres of balls out, but decisive racing. Fact is in the past few years there have been many newcomers to watching these races, this year in particular. They usually moan that 'landmark sections' such as the Koppenberg or Arenberg were boring and uneventful. Unfortunately 80% of the time they are. They are only famous for a handful of incidents spread over many, many years. A few examples, Koppenberg: Running over Jesper Skibby's bike; Cancellara's chain snapping. Arenberg: Museeuw's horrific crash; Boonen's mechanical in 2011. They come so far from the finish that they are only minor selection points. They're gruesomely tough but the big boys are still fresh and barring poor positions, mechanicals or a crash they will always surmount these obstacles. The Ghisallo isn't great, neither is La Redoute.

I've been watching the Classics for about 5 years (roughly a quarter of my lifetime) - so not long at all. In my experience, yes, you feel aggrieved at first when all the favourites make it over the Koppenberg. No-one falls victim to the Arenberg or whatever else. I quickly realised most of the Classics come down to a few decisive Kilometres - usually between 200km and the end. So unless mechanicals or crashes are your kind of thing then don't tune in until 30-50km to go. If I do tune in earlier than that you can bet I won't be watching it, just listening to the commentary whilst doing something else.

Even Flanders this year, which was admittedly very boring for 225 kilometres, had some of the best racing you will see all season. The only thing was that it was only the last times up the Kwaremont and Paterberg.

In short, if you want cycling to be exciting tune in for: the last 10km for sprint; the last climb for mountain stages; the last 30-50km for Classics; and never for TT's & TTT's except for very rare occasions. That's from my personal experience of tuning in early, not necessarily a snobbish rant at the newbs ;)
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    ddraver wrote:
    they used to have megaphones on the bonnet for the very purpose. You ll never stop it happening...

Watch Lieuwe Westra in a TT - clearly his preference is to be screamed at by the DS for the entirety of the course. :lol:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    I think we should ban radios, install a jury-rigged tablet on every bike, and make them follow the action and take tactical advice from the BR spoiler thread for each race.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    A different sport, but I imagine this sort of thing happens a lot more frequently in bike racing than any great tactical insights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8X1O811pWA
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    RichN95 wrote:
    A different sport, but I imagine this sort of thing happens a lot more frequently in bike racing than any great tactical insights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8X1O811pWA
    See also Voeckler regularly taking his ear piece out when he attacks.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I think we should ban radios, install a jury-rigged tablet on every bike, and make them follow the action and take tactical advice from the BR spoiler thread for each race.
    You get my vote for UCI president! :lol::mrgreen:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

With FF doing a Joan River's style commentary on their attire.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!