Race radio

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited April 2013 in Pro race
I think that racing would be better if they went back to the days when riders were not in contact via radio ear-pieces. Certainly in time trials at the very least.

Just wondered what others on here think of it.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Wouldn't every break just get chased down immediately?

You'd have a situation where you have to be Cancellara if you want to get away?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129

Well they didnt use to, theres no reason to suppose they would and there would still be roadside watchers and the chalkboard to keep the DS up to speed.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Look how the Olympic RR turned out.....what a fiasco!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Can we just have a link to one of the zillion other discussions on this please?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Frank the tank
    ddraver wrote:
    I do beg your forgiveness oh great one.

I thought when I posted it was a subject that no doubt has been discussed many times before but, if some are newcomers they may not be too interested in trawling through a million posts trying to find one. So I just thought I'd regurgitate the subject.

I might do the same again some time if it's going to offend you so much. :)

Don't comment on this thread firk off and comment on one of the ZILLION others. :P
    Tail end Charlie

• I get the support for this idea like racing will be more adventurous, breaks will be brought back later or stay away for longer, uncertainty from the peleton might make them ride faster to bring it back and we will see riders for who they are rather than the DS directing them
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It won't make racing more exciting. Would no radios have improved Paris Roubaix? I'm with RchN95 on this, let us hear what they're saying as they did in Flanders a couple of years ago
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    ddraver wrote:

I thought when I posted it was a subject that no doubt has been discussed many times before but, if some are newcomers they may not be too interested in trawling through a million posts trying to find one. So I just thought I'd regurgitate the subject.

Don't comment on this thread firk off and comment on one of the ZILLION others. :P

This was the first thing that came up when searching for something as simple as 'radio'.
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12910187&hilit=radios
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    ThomThom wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

This was the first thing that came up when searching for something as simple as 'radio'.
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12910187&hilit=radios

Come on ThomThom, you really are digging up the past there. That thread is almost 5 weeks old. Thousands of people will have joined the forum since then.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    No to radio's
    I enjoyed the Roma Maxima race which would have been another boring race with radio's. !
    Because R.V.V. and Roubaix are real races with little tempo in the last 80 Km's that, with or without radio's I don't mind.

A lot of this boring (Radio's) racing came about with the Motorolo Team and because Armstrong liked the contact it gave him, he took the radio into Cofidis and USP to become standard issue in all teams.

I have an outstanding memory of pre Radio in the TDF where the team Super Confex would bring the "Break" back as though they were standing still.
    This was achieved with the aid of the motorbike Blackboard only.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Ay up Frank! Not often I see you round these parts! :D

On the whole Race-Radio thing: I think a change in the points system would do far more for racing than taking away or keeping race radio. Also there is the issue of congestion if they take away race radio with team car's trying to get to their riders to give instruction.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    If you want to make racing more exciting like it was before radios then ban Eurosport. The races always seem more exciting when all you have is a half hour highlights program and a report in Cycling Weekly like you did back before radios.. It's 3 hours of unedited coverage that makes the races boring.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    RichN95 wrote:
    If you want to make racing more exciting like it was before radios then ban Eurosport. The races always seem more exciting when all you have is a half hour highlights program and a report in Cycling Weekly like you did back before radios.. It's 3 hours of unedited coverage that makes the races boring.

Very good point.

Watching an hour long highlights DVD of the 1989 Tour makes excellent viewing, but it must have had some boring bits as well.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898

On the whole Race-Radio thing: I think a change in the points system would do far more for racing than taking away or keeping race radio. Also there is the issue of congestion if they take away race radio with team car's trying to get to their riders to give instruction.

Personally I don't think it would make a difference as looking the other way some teams can't seem to get it right with radios but perhaps its their riders rather than the info they are given.

LL care to expand on what changes you mean? Would be interested to hear another option is all.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Frank the tank
    I believe that certainly TTs should be radio-less I accept it's debatable as to the effect on ordinary races. I'd just like to see it's effect.

I know one race this season the guy who came second celebrated his "win" 'cos due to no race radio the peloton hadn't realized that the winner had been well out front. (I can't remember which race it was though).
    Tail end Charlie

• inkyfingers

I know one race this season the guy who came second celebrated his "win" 'cos due to no race radio the peloton hadn't realized that the winner had been well out front. (I can't remember which race it was though).

The same thing happened in the Vuelta last year, when they had radios.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    I believe that certainly TTs should be radio-less I accept it's debatable as to the effect on ordinary races. I'd just like to see it's effect.

Was Roma Maxima I think?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

This is kind of already happening, regardless of race radios... I'm not really sure why. Pretty much every classic this season, I've tuned in with 80-100 km to go and the breakaway has been a minute up the road. A few years back it would have been 10 minutes.

I think it was Brian Smith talking about it in commentary, that smaller teams enter the big races with the main aim of getting into early breaks and getting TV exposure, but it's becoming more and more difficult because the bunch just won't give the break as much rope as they used to.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

And here's Jani Brajkovic "winning" 2nd place in Lombardy...

2008_giro_di_lombardia_tour_of_lombardy_janez_brajkovic_raises_arms_ahead_of_rigoberto_uran.jpg
  • inkyfingers
    afx237vi wrote:

And here's Jani Brajkovic "winning" 2nd place in Lombardy...

2008_giro_di_lombardia_tour_of_lombardy_janez_brajkovic_raises_arms_ahead_of_rigoberto_uran.jpg

I'd forgotten about that. That's always going to be embarrassing, but in a monument it must be heartbreaking.
  • Frank the tank
    Ay up Frank! Not often I see you round these parts! :D

Might be a while before you do again, too many sarky b@st@rds here. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    The often quoted argument for radios is safety but I still can't work out how the DS in a car behind the race can be aware of safety issues the riders aren't. If it is a genuine concern then have the riders on a radio link to race officials and allow safety issues to be conveyed that way.
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    The often quoted argument for radios is safety but I still can't work out how the DS in a car behind the race can be aware of safety issues the riders aren't. If it is a genuine concern then have the riders on a radio link to race officials and allow safety issues to be conveyed that way.
    What language will the race officials speak?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Same language as race radio.
  • RichN95.
    Felly, mae gennych rhybuddion diogelwch sy'n dim ond hanner y beicwyr deall.
    Nid wyf yn meddwl eich bod wedi meddwl o ddifrif hyn drwy gywir.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:

Home advantage.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    one of the reasons that gets trotted out is safety, which is a concern as the riders should know if they are about to round a corner into a pileup, but that needn't be the reason to keep the open channel for the DS to instruct if they don't want to

why not have - officials talk to everyone - riders talk to team cars only and listen - team cars listen only (or talk to officials only)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    RichN95 wrote:

I knew the riders were multi-lingual, but I didn't realise half spoke Welsh!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

Pozzato in Roma Maxima.

I used to be in agreement of no radios but now I just think it means that without proper information passed away someone could slip away and be forgotten about and take a win not based on merit but luck.

Rich made a good point in his first post.

I like the idea of being able to listen to the radios as a 'sound' option but then how would the ES execs feel about that.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Oh Franky do you need a hug? Bless, is the whole MT thing bringing you down...?

Anyway - one actual piece of recent news - Cav in an ES interview said that they so rarely discuss tactics on the radio that he doesnt care if they use them or not, but that they are very useful for safety.

Make of it what you will, He's dominated races with and without so meh...

Personally i think Rich and LL are spot on, with or without them certain races/stages will still be dull flat and long and only worth watching for the last 20km and making winning the race more appealing (which it appears is needed) would have a zillion times more effect
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver