Hows my setup look **New Pics**

Mullet52
Mullet52 Posts: 45
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Dont know if these pics are good enough to show my setup but anyway here they are. Hows it looking?

img1511zx.jpg

img1512vw.jpg

Comments

• pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    looks good.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • Mullet52
    No its perfectly spaced between the unit and the hob :D
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Great kitchen humour, but for some more useful comparisons go to BikeDynamics
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Looks pretty good. Maybe saddle could go up a tad. How did you get such big forearms. Eating spinach?
  • Now we know where your username comes from! :D
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Seat looks like it needs too go back a little and perhaps a small amount up, longer stem probably 2cm more, halve the spacers under the stem.

You're sitting far too upright and you need to be more over the front wheel, your knee looks like it needs to come back a little.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Is it me or should that knee be a little straighter? Could the seat be a little higher? and perhaps a little forward?

Admit it this was just an excuse to show off your massive guns, weren't it? :)
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • How tall are you Mullet? That bike looks quite small.
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Velonutter wrote:
    Seat looks like it needs too go back a little and perhaps a small amount up, longer stem probably 2cm more, halve the spacers under the stem.

You're sitting far too upright and you need to be more over the front wheel, your knee looks like it needs to come back a little.

This
  • Mullet52
    Im 5ft 11. The bike is a size Large. Its a big bike, compared to my mates bikes anyway.

I did think I was far too upright. Would you recommend moving the seat back until my front hub is directly below the bars? Also move some spacers from below the stem, to above it?

Forearms lol, I'm a gym freak so quite a unit. Good in some aspects as I have a lot of power...but i'm quite heavy at the moment :(
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would have said seat up and back a bit too.

Bike does look small. Not in a 'you need a bigger bike' way, just that I am 6'1"ish and would also buy a size large boardman so would have thought it would look bigger than it does. Maybe its because you are stocky?

As you have such big forearms, go easy on the guy who stole your wall cupboard if you catch him :lol:
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    Another photo of U in the drops? Ideally on the road, so we can see how ur position looks in real world
    jc
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Great kitchen humour, but for some more useful comparisons go to BikeDynamics

Why not forward the pics to Mike for his professional opinion, provided he's happy to give it? And please consider a proper bike fit - money well spent.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    As others have said i think your seat could do with going up a bit and back a bit, then look at setting up your reach after you get that right.
    I find this site very helpful...
    http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html
    FCN 3/5/9
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    From the pics I think his seat height looks fine, you dont want a straight leg on full extension.
    Good starting point is heel on the pedal and have the leg straight and no rocking of hips when pedaling backwards.
    ~25 deg knee angle is what you want.
    Cheers, Stu
  • Mullet52
    New pics. I've put the seat up a tiny bit(1/4 inch) and dropped the stem and bars a bit.

IMG_1528_zpse24f9971.jpg

IMG_1531_zps4b65b083.jpg

IMG_1525_zps61f2027a.jpg

IMG_1524_zps77fd65a0.jpg

IMG_1526_zps2535df7d.jpg

IMG_1529_zps69ae7638.jpg

IMG_1527_zpsba73ccf1.jpg
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Looks much better, in all poses. Think fit looks good too. Now to get out and ride and see if you have any major aches and pains.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453
    Way better. Probably as good as you'll get, it looks like the frame itself is possibly a size smaller than ideal but the position looks pretty good.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Jesus... those arms are massive - almost bigger than your legs - props :)
  • pride4ever
    your leg is too extended at the bottom, your hips will likely roll.
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    Elbows look nice and relaxed, how's your flexibility? There's a slight curve in your back that might start to hurt on longer rides but I'm just being fussy :)
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    I'm surprised that people think the "improved" set-up is correct. For me the leg is too straight on full extension, if you look at your heel it's well above the toe but your leg is not far off being straight. I don't see how you can possibly achieve optimum efficiency with that set-up.

Too much emphasis is placed on trying to get the seat as high as possible, in my opinion your seat needs to come down a touch
    Ridley Orion
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Exactly what i said about leg extension, agree with the above.
    Cheers, Stu
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    Seat too high by at least half an inch. You could usefully fit a longer stem maybe. Frame does look small for the stated size. I would get rid of the under stem spacers too, as you're very high when on the hoods.
    jc
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Jim C wrote:
    Seat too high by at least half an inch. You could usefully fit a longer stem maybe. Frame does look small for the stated size. I would get rid of the under stem spacers too, as you're very high when on the hoods.

I reckon you could afford to move saddle back a bit on the rails, but the real test will be a few hours road riding to see if any aches crop up.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453
    I'm surprised that people think the "improved" set-up is correct. For me the leg is too straight on full extension, if you look at your heel it's well above the toe but your leg is not far off being straight. I don't see how you can possibly achieve optimum efficiency with that set-up.

Too much emphasis is placed on trying to get the seat as high as possible, in my opinion your seat needs to come down a touch

Yep. Looking again you are probably right. It could do with being somewhere between the two positions although the original is probably closer. The rest of the position is vastly improved though.
  • pride4ever
    some on here must be rolling all over their saddles if they think that seat height is correct.....way off.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Purely concerning the saddle height, the saddle in the original pic looks about right but the saddle looks far too high in the later pic.