understanding Rock Shox dampers

2»

Comments

• DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    there is enough space to get at the spring, but its on really tight, and the section its attached to is flared, so i doubt ill be able to get it undone

Its a bit of a non-issue for me really. I only use two clicks of LS damping anyway. Only slight annoyance is another control on my handlebars....
  • DCR00
    Scratch that. I just managed to get the spring off.

You can get to it from the larger slats. I went at it from the back of where the spring is held on and prized it off that way.

Happy days :D
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    so it was relatively easy in the end? ... hmm now I'm very tempted to get one.
  • DCR00
    Piece of p*ss really
  • DCR00
    So. Spent the evening servicing my forks. The idea being that i could slot the new BBMC damper in there.

One small problem. It doesnt fit....

Seems the base of the damper is about 2mm too wide for the Sektors. V confused as the spare parts catalogue said that the Reba/SID/Rev dampers were all the same. Sektor is the same as Rev (I'm using a Rev rebound damper), so it should fit. Tried forcing it, but i was gonna f*ck up the stanchion thread, so i refitted the existing damper.

Ive def seen a thread on STW from someone claiming to have fitted a BBMC damper to a Sektor, so it must be possible.

Think i need to email SRAM tom morning (also need to try and get that spring back on so i can get a refund from CRC)
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    I had a similar problem with a new reba unit
    what colour is the plastic base bit that adjusts the flow?
    mine was black on the old one that came out and the new one was white and turned out to be bigger, I swapped these over and it fitted and works fine
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • DCR00
    Not sure that can be done in this instance

The bases are different; one black plastic and one metal.

However, the bases are completely different; the BBMC having both the HS and LS damping through 3 holes, whilst the MOCO only has one hole for LS damping.
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    ah forgot about that, not sure what can be done then sorry
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • DCR00
    quick update on this

got the spring back on the damper, returned to CRC, tried to order a replacement from Loco Tuning

Simon (from Loco) says that the BBMC damper is now discontinued on Fisher's ordering system. Found a shop on eBay that has some left (only 2 now that i have bought one). Link below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RockShox-Comp ... 5541293%26

A word of warning. Despite the description, this is not the damper with the knob adjust. It is instead the Poploc version without the poploc lever. The good news is that it fits no problem. The knob from the MOCO RLT damper fits ok, but you need a couple of O rings to make up the gaps between the floodgate knob and the comp adjustment knob.

I also think that the oil volume needs some tweaking. I have fitted this to a Sektor fork. I referred to the Rev chart since this is the closest to the Sektor and that recommends 133ml. I filled the damper up to that level before fitting, but the fork felt too harsh and nowhere near as compliant as when i had the old RLT damper. I've since removed 5ml, and the fork feels much better (granted under the old bounce up and down test). Think some testing needs to be done with different oil levels (god i love tinkering)

cheers

DCR
  • DCR00
    Good test at Cannock this morning. The effect of the damper is quite profound. Very similar to changing the rebound damper to the dual flow i.e. best of both worlds. When I'm pedalling normally I have loads of LSC, but then when the going gets rough the HSC kicks in and the fork is so compliant. Only slight complaint is that I'm getting less travel; not that it feels like it. I can only tell from the rubber ring. May need some oil tweaking.

Well worth the money though.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    thanks for the info. I'm quite tempted to buy the BBMC now as they are discontinued so might not be able to buy later on.

I'm still waiting for my forks to be returned back to me after getting the upgrade to a dual flow rebound. Can't wait to try them out.