It's a four bar design.
  • Alright here it is:

Santa Cruz Bronson
    Bronson-C-Frame-Black.jpg
    XX1 Groupset
    216ca43645914af9ba460c58a729994a-09112012-161745.jpeg
    Shimano XTR hydraulic brakes - 180mm front and back
    shimano-xtr-trail-disc-brakes.jpg
    Fox 36 Talas 27.5 160 FIT CTD or Rockshox Totem rc2 dh (if they came in 650b)
    2013-34-talas-160-fit-ctd-adj-f-main.jpg
    rockshox-totem-rc2-dh-2013-fork.jpg
    Cane Creek Double Barrel air
    2012-Cane-Creek-Double-Barrel-Air-rear-shock07.jpg

Spank Spike pedals
    spank-spike-pedal.jpg
    Reverb Stealth
    rockshox_reverb_stealth_web.jpg
    ENVE Composites AM rims - blue
    ENVE26AM.jpg
    Specialized Hardrock 06
    On One 456 Summer Season 2010 neon orange!

“…get it in your head, then there’s nothing else important for the next couple of hours than getting that particular line done…” – Danny MacAskill
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I think I would go for my Trek 8500 frame, but modified to have a bolt through rear axle system.

Change from XTR 3x9 to XTR 3x8, change the Formula The Ones to the new RO´s with 203mm disks and install one of the new Hope press fit BBs.

Finally fit a Mavic Havoc carbon wheelset.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    supersonic wrote:
    It's a four bar design.
    Got you, I thought the disc totated for adjustement of pivot point, not as part of the suspension movement.....still looks like an O5 though..... :D
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    edited April 2013
    There are some very unambitious people on here! Alu frames? XT groupsets?!

Dunno what mine would be, tend to just buy what I want anyway :?

Probably a Superfly 100 (or SL hardtail) frame, XX1 groupset, SID World Cup fork, a set of DT XCR950T wheels with a range of Dugast tubs, maybe some Enve/DT180 clinchers for normal riding, Mt Zoom and New Ultimate finishing kit. XTR brakes.

Then you'd need a trail bike too though, so I'll have a Mojo SL-R, Revelation World Cups, XX1 group, Enve/DT180 wheels (at a push I'd share them with the Superfly), Reverb, Mt Zoom/New Ultimate finishing kit again.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Levi_501 wrote:
    I think I would go for my Trek 8500 frame, but modified to have a bolt through rear axle system.

Change from XTR 3x9 to XTR 3x8, change the Formula The Ones to the new RO´s with 203mm disks and install one of the new Hope press fit BBs.

Finally fit a Mavic Havoc carbon wheelset.

Strange choices there. Is the rear end of the 8500 frame that flexy that it needs a bolt through?
    Havoc carbon wheels are a bit overkill for an xc bike, why not go for some lighter xc carbon rims? and surely 2x10 would make more sense than 3x8?
  • njee20
    203mm brakes would be overkill on a lightweight alu frame too!

Sounds like you need a new frame if that's what you want to do to it!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Would have to be a Bronson I think, the few areas I think the Mojo HD could be improved on are all there on the Santa Cruz, so a large Bronson "murdered out" as SRAM would say, keep it stealthy.

I'd rather have a shimano version of XX1, industry nine torch wheels and Hans Dampfs, reverb stealth, 750mm haven bar and 55mm stem, fox 34's and their new "enduro" shock, xtr brakes, king headset and a trusty old ti-railed charge spoon.

Would love a super slack 650b ti hardtail though, perhaps the bike Cove are currently testing with the above build kit. Then I'd need a light DH style bike for uplifts after having an absolute riot at stiniog on Sunday, though there's not many 180mm carbon "park" bikes out there ATM... Gap in the market for someone to fill?
  • The Rookie
    Of course rather than a dream bike, I guess most of us would prefer a budget such that we can have a shed full of nearly dreams, one for each situation!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Levi_501
    For XC I like aluminium frames; point and shoot with minimal flex. I like the feeling you get back through an aluminium frame for this sort of riding. Yes, I agree it is slightly more fatiguing on the rider, but I do not go out for 24hrs at a time.

No, the rear end of the 8500 is extremely solid; I just like the idea of bolt through. Similarly with the Easton Havocs!

IMHO, 3x8 is the best system. You can use nearly all of the gears and also, 3x8 systems are less finicky and they wear better.

Regarding brakes, I like big disks. I find you can scrub off speed more finely with bigger rotors.

Without going into too much detail: the bigger the disk, the faster the effective braking area passes the pad. We all know that slow a faster object down a little is far easier than slowing a slower object.

Regarding the Superfly quoted by njee20, I must confess I have thought about giving one of them a blast to see what a modern 29" wheeled bike is like.
  • njee20
    Have you ridden a Trek Elite hardtail? Same geometry as the 8500, but lighter and stiffer. Definitely superior to alu IMO, what's not to like!?

Bigger discs lose you modulation, but do give more absolute power, so it's easier to stop, but harder to scrub off speed.
  • Levi_501
    I have not tried a Trek Elite specifically, none of the shops were willing to get them in at 21.5. But when I was looking at frames I tried the Scott Scale (IIRC 20) and felt it was not quite so instant (no quite the word I am looking for, but it will have to do for now). The other one was IIRC, a Stumperjumper.

The 8500 just felt like it wanted to go faster all the time and even more so the harder you psuhed it.

Dare I ask, how do youy loose modulation because of bigger dsks?
  • The Rookie
    Because the lever force to brake torque line is steeper, less lever effort for more braking...a friend had 203mm discs on his bike, I used to take the mickey, then he went OTB on a steep slippery decent as he was either off the brakes or locked (Rear locked, slid out sideways, he came off the brake and it then high sided him exiting on the downhill side....), I went down fine on my 160's, next ride he was on a 180/160 combo.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Levi_501 wrote:
    IMHO, 3x8 is the best system. You can use nearly all of the gears and also, 3x8 systems are less finicky and they wear better.
    Wha, wait,WHAT?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I have to say my 3x8 system runs smoother than my 10 speed! lasts longer too!
  • Levi_501
    supersonic wrote:
    I have to say my 3x8 system runs smoother than my 10 speed! lasts longer too!

Exactly!
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    thats one of the three points. the other points you mentioned relate more to 1x anything rather than 3x anything. so i don't understand what you mean.

in terms of the question, id have:

Nomad Carbon
    XX1
    Saint Brakes
    Reverb
    Charge spoon ti
    Havoc bars
    ODI lockons
    Thomson 50mm stem
    Bos Devilles
    CCDB Shock
    Some ludicrously expensive wheelset or other
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Apart from a wheelset upgrade and the move to 1 x 10 using these V

I'm pretty much done with the build I have.......Intense Carbine

P1010362.jpg

It has the dropper KS Lev added since this picture was taken
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • This is my actual next build, gonna take a while but it is my dream bike.
    Intense M9 Fro in Fluro Yellow - Cane Creek Double Barrel Air
    2014 Fox Float 40 RC2 FiT Black 20mm - Kashima
    Hope 1.5 Step Down Low Stack Headset - Black
    Hope Top Crown & Integrated Stem - Fox 40 - Red
    Easton Havoc Carbon Bar
    Hope Tech V4 Brake with Braided Hose - Front
    Hope Tech V4 Brake with Braided Hose - Rear
    Shimano Saint M825 Crankset
    Shimano Saint M820 Shadow+ 10 Speed Rear Mech
    Shimano Saint M820 1X10 Speed Trigger Shifter
    Hope Mono 6 Saw Disc Rotor - 203mm - Red Floating
    Hope Mono 6 Saw Disc Rotor - 183mm - Red Floating