RockShox Pike - back for 2014

2»

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have a 2005 Pike SL coil that is still going strong (though I have only had it a few years). I have wondered what I would replace it with if I had the choice - maybe a spaced down Sektor? Certainly not this new fork.

Sektor & Revelation aren't as stiff as the Pike. My replacement will be a 140mm Argyle with Mission Control dampers to replace the original rubbish.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    p4pb2777426.jpg

Thai is a proper Pike

The same way this is a proper SID? ;-)

pbpic2138152.jpg

Just a name really, but if we are comparing to the original the new one seems like it is going to be stiffer, stronger, lighter and better damped. Should be able to space down to shorter too.

PS do you mean Motion Control in the Argyle?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'm hoping that a mission control damper might fit in the Argyle
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Guo1.jpg
    Thai is a proper Pike

Haha, missed this before. Best typo ever!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'm hoping that a mission control damper might fit in the Argyle

I doubt it, as the Mission Control is for 35mm stanchions. The Pike has thick al uppers, so even standard Rev dampers are too big.
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    They keep the name Pike for the same reason VW still call the Golf the Golf. The Golf was originally the "car for the everyman" - cheap, quick, fun and hassle free.

However that description no longer applies to the current gen Golf cars.

It's just for brand recognition, association, etc.

Plus, imagine if companies named every product something new. Think the current RS lineup is confusing? THAT would be confusing!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I'm just glad they got rid of the confusing numbering system i.e 318 etc
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    P-Jay wrote:
    'Taper only'...

Seems my 'old' 2010 frame grows more obsolete with every passing day.
    I would have thought a 2010 frame is 44mm ZS headset, in which case you can nearly always fit a tapered.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    Looks good. Just need TF Tuned to sort a coil conversion kit for it and it'll be mint!
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Ghostt wrote:
    Looks good. Just need TF Tuned to sort a coil conversion kit for it and it'll be mint!
    Wouldn't that push it to the best part of £1,000?