RockShox Pike - back for 2014

Comments

• Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    Ah, that's what we all needed - another hilariously priced fork!

Coming to a CRC sale near you soon.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    4lbs though for a 160mm 35mm stanchioned fork! it will sell bucket loads.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    interesting that they have gone with a bladder damper system

isnt that the same as the FIT system that FOX have ?

im sure i read somwhere that their open bath system is better
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I'm just amazed that they are going to have a 26" version. :wink:
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Taper only and price - Boo!
    Everything else - Yay!

What we really need is a big OEM market for them and then Merlin can pump out grey versions with 'old-fashioned' standards for half price.

At least it seems like a proper development rather than Fox's 34/'Enduro Racing Only' stop-gap stuff. RS's marketing drivel is getting worse though. Someone should punch Boobar in the face every time he uses the word 'ultimate'.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Is it going to be dual air? Don't see the point personally if it isn't.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Why call it a Pike? Thats not a Pike. The old one was a bombproof shorter travel fork for people who like to abuse their trail bikes.
    The dual air Pike was a bit crap, I have one & since new it has needed a regular air spring rebuild because it looses negative air. The coil one was much better
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Why call it a Pike? Thats not a Pike.

Technically old boy you are correct. This is a pike:

23.11.JPG

I'll get my coat.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I couldn't go back to a solo air fork now. Dual air is just so much plusher on small bumps.

I've never had a single air leak from my dual airs.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I've been quite impressed with the solo-air in my Sektor. Better than the dual-air Pike I had for the reasons Rockmonkey gives, and still just as plush. Lyriks and boxxers have used solo-air for a while now too without too many complaints. A 2kg coil version would be good though, but I guees they're trying to fill the gap that a lot of 'trail' riders have been using the weightier Lyrik for.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Dual air was stupid IMO. If it was better everyone would have a version afaik SRAM never patented it. The volume spacers to ad progression have been used in fix shocks for ages, I really hope they introduce it to te forks to like they have with the new 40. It's an interesting fork with some good features, they finally realized the maxle was poor too and fixed that. Be interested to ride one though!
  • rockmonkeysc
    It looks like they have one version similar to Fox CTD and one for people who like to be able to choose their own suspension settings.
    It will never be as good as the old Pike which was just simple, stiff, bombproof and reliable (other than the dual air spring).
  • supersonic
    Dual air was stupid IMO

Why is that? I much prefer it to solo air.

This is the fork I'd predict they'd make - basically a lightened Lyrik.
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    EH_Rob wrote:

23.11.JPG

Nope this is a Pike

tumblr_inline_mi1228X1ey1qz4rgp.jpg

Or

dadsarmy-pike.jpg
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • rockmonkeysc
    supersonic wrote:
    Dual air was stupid IMO

Why is that? I much prefer it to solo air.

This is the fork I'd predict they'd make - basically a lightened Lyrik.

Dual air is good when it works but it just takes one of the many o-rings to slip out of its groove in the shaft and the spring inverts and sucks the fork down or blows out the lower seals.
  • supersonic
    Never had that problem in any of mine. And so easy to fix if it happens.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I wouldn't want to re-build an air spring in the middle of a ride. It's a good hour job to strip the fork and clean & rebuild the air spring. They get worse with my age, mine need a rebuild about every three months, usually either a o-ring has moved or a bit of dust has got in to the air chamber. They were fine to start with and took two years for the first problems. A coil spring assembly is on it's way to me, I can live with a little more weight for a lot more reliability.
    When it's working well though it is a really good fork and mine has taken a real battering. It feels stiffer than the Revelation and the fact that they hold their value must mean that people still want them.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    hmm that's a pretty good weight not much more than the Revelation. I can see it selling well if the prices drops a bit. Come Merlin hurry up and get some grey imports ...

Has anyone tried a dual air and solo air system back to back? I am a fan of the dual air system, but if they can keep most of the suppleness with a simpler design I'd be happy with the solo air. I've been tempted to get new solo air revs but will wait for some reviews first.
  • supersonic
    I wouldn't want to re-build an air spring in the middle of a ride. It's a good hour job to strip the fork and clean & rebuild the air spring. They get worse with my age, mine need a rebuild about every three months, usually either a o-ring has moved or a bit of dust has got in to the air chamber. They were fine to start with and took two years for the first problems. A coil spring assembly is on it's way to me, I can live with a little more weight for a lot more reliability.
    When it's working well though it is a really good fork and mine has taken a real battering. It feels stiffer than the Revelation and the fact that they hold their value must mean that people still want them.

Neither would I, but in my experience, it just doesn't happen. The Pike has a one off internal size, maybe something to do that. Usually 15 mins for a strip and o ring change for me! Every few hundred miles I give them a service.
  • EH_Rob
    I'm glad someone else wants to play this game.

Pike:

Guo1.jpg

Pike:

scafells.jpg
    Richie63 wrote:
    EH_Rob wrote:

23.11.JPG

Nope this is a Pike

tumblr_inline_mi1228X1ey1qz4rgp.jpg

Or

dadsarmy-pike.jpg
  • rockmonkeysc
    p4pb2777426.jpg

Thai is a proper Pike
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Guo1.jpg
    Thai is a proper Pike
  • rockmonkeysc
    Thats a bit of a typographical error there!
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    'Taper only'...

Seems my 'old' 2010 frame grows more obsolete with every passing day.
  • It looks ok, but why did they keep the Pike name? It seems to me to be a different fork, with different features, aimed at a different market - nobody is going to replace their old Pike with this new one!

I have a 2005 Pike SL coil that is still going strong (though I have only had it a few years). I have wondered what I would replace it with if I had the choice - maybe a spaced down Sektor? Certainly not this new fork.

Also, I dont like these new RS graphics...the older ones were better.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I saw this other day,

I was getting more excited for a replacement to my fox fork, then i found only a 15mm axle version only. bah useless.
  • EH_Rob
    It looks ok, but why did they keep the Pike name?

Why not? The Pike was a great fork, so I guess some marketing dickhead decided they may as well try and play off that.

They aren't duty bound to make exactly the same fork to please their loyal customer fanbase unfortunately, and things have changed since then. 150/160mm is not super long travel anymore and will fit nicely with a lot of current bike designs.

I still fail to understand why they stopped making it in the first place, the old coil Pikes are still fantastic forks.

Speaking of marketing dickheads, I love the way its meant for 'trail riding', which if you're not some marketing dickhead translates roughly as 'mountain biking'. Or maybe its something else I've never done.
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    warpcow wrote:
    At least it seems like a proper development rather than Fox's 34/'Enduro Racing Only' stop-gap stuff. RS's marketing drivel is getting worse though. Someone should punch Boobar in the face every time he uses the word 'ultimate'.
    This made me chuckle and I completly agree. I mean WTF is does "murdered-out" and "PIKE is like a stealth bomber designed specifically for new-school trail riders" mean, nobs!
  • EH_Rob
    fat_homer wrote:
    I mean WTF is does "murdered-out" and "PIKE is like a stealth bomber designed specifically for new-school trail riders" mean, nobs!

Haha! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it means "I'm a massive marketing penis and you, the consumer, are about to be penetrated".