How to not get cold while stopping to eat

2»

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I don't stop in the winter unless I'm desperate for a pee. I've gradually increased fitness so I'm confident that I can do up to 40 miles / 2 1/2 hours on just a bottle of squash, but when I get home I'm starving. Longer rides and I force myself to start eating after an hour. Favourites for the back pockets are fig rolls (= energy bars) and jelly babies (= gels). Practice eating and drinking on the go, it's easy once you get the hang of it.

If you do have to stop in the winter eg for a mechanical or puncture, quickly put on any extra clothing you're carrying before you tend to the bike

Long summer rides I like to plan a couple of proper stops so I can take a breather, enjoy the view, take the odd snap and peruse the map.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    keef66 wrote:
    I don't stop in the winter unless I'm desperate for a pee. I've gradually increased fitness so I'm confident that I can do up to 40 miles / 2 1/2 hours on just a bottle of squash, but when I get home I'm starving. Longer rides and I force myself to start eating after an hour. Favourites for the back pockets are fig rolls (= energy bars) and jelly babies (= gels). Practice eating and drinking on the go, it's easy once you get the hang of it.

If you do have to stop in the winter eg for a mechanical or puncture, quickly put on any extra clothing you're carrying before you tend to the bike

Long summer rides I like to plan a couple of proper stops so I can take a breather, enjoy the view, take the odd snap and peruse the map.

+1 to all of that :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter